• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ebrou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 5.0L Sport 4x4
Ok, I don’t have that option so must be a PTS issue.
At the top of page you have a tab Vehicle, like the below photo. in step 2 you will get the email access option

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1647628882021
Sponsored

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
Yo, @Foxtrot150

Get a battery ready :)

FOXTROT.PNG
So I went ahead and purchased the two day FDRS license and am using a VCX Nano. I'm hooked up to my truck (without doing network scan), but the voltage is only at 12.1 volts (wish you could see this before buying a license). I have a charger hooked up at the max (12A) for battery type AGM but it hasn't changed in about an hour.

Opinions on what I should do? Should I try performing an update?

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
So I went ahead and purchased the two day FDRS license and am using a VCX Nano. I'm hooked up to my truck (without doing network scan), but the voltage is only at 12.1 volts (wish you could see this before buying a license). I have a charger hooked up at the max (12A) for battery type AGM but it hasn't changed in about an hour.

Opinions on what I should do? Should I try performing an update?
Make sure you headlights are off. Sounds silly but got me

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Make sure you headlights are off. Sounds silly but got me
One advantage of updating at night is the obvious reminder that the truck resets the headlights to "auto" after you turned them off. 100 times.

Also make sure your charger has really good bite on the appropriate conductor.

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
One advantage of updating at night is the obvious reminder that the truck resets the headlights to "auto" after you turned them off. 100 times.

Also make sure your charger has really good bite on the appropriate conductor.
Thanks; I readjusted the bite on the positive terminal and ground point, and turned off headlights. Should the truck be in accessories mode when starting? Door open or close?

For my reference, I used JScaro's picture to adjust the connections.

Last edited:

Sponsored

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
At the top of page you have a tab Vehicle, like the below photo. in step 2 you will get the email access option

1647628882021.png
Weird, my PTS looks different than yours. I’m just accessing mine through the Motorcraft service website.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Thanks; I readjusted the bite on the positive terminal and ground point, and turned off headlights. Should the truck be in accessories mode when starting? Door open or close?
Yes on accessory mode.
I sat in my truck with door closed. Windows up/down depending on weather.

Turned my lights off 1000 times.
Battery at 10A was enough because it's a Powerboost? But I would have gone to 20A if I saw it was needed.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost

For my reference, I used JScaro's picture to adjust the connections.
What charger do you have? Does it have a power supply mode? If it does, make sure you are in power supply mode, not charger mode. When flashing an ECU, your goal is to maintain voltage, not to charge the battery.

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
What charger do you have? Does it have a power supply mode? If it does, make sure you are in power supply mode, not charger mode. When flashing an ECU, your goal is to maintain voltage, not to charge the battery.
Unfortunately no, it's vintage ;-).
Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS IMG_20220318_145325080

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately no, it's vintage ;-).
IMG_20220318_145325080.jpg
Ok. I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but patience is your friend. Stop and let the charger fully recharge your battery. This way you can (1) ensure your contact points are good and (2) start with as high an initial voltage as you can. When you have a fully charged battery, proceed. Leave the charger on, turn off your headlamps, climate control, heated/cooled seats, heated steering and audio.

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
Ok. I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but patience is your friend. Stop and let the charger fully recharge your battery. This way you can (1) ensure your contact points are good and (2) start with as high an initial voltage as you can. When you have a fully charged battery, proceed. Leave the charger on, turn off your headlamps, climate control, heated/cooled seats, heated steering and audio.
Thank you... leave the truck on in accessories mode?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you... leave the truck on in accessories mode?
Not while charging. Turn off everything and walk away. Just let the truck fully shut down and leave the charger to do its thing. Check your charger periodically. Once you are fully charged, yes, you’ll do most of the work in accessory mode with the accessories I mentioned off.

topgun964

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Raptor
Started my first updated.
GWM asked me to install USB. I Installed it in truck and selected close on the screen. I saw system updating in the top left corner. I walked away and now the system updating is gone. No other message on the screen. Can i assume the update is done?

jmm3807

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seasavvyaquarium.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
Started my first updated.
GWM asked me to install USB. I Installed it in truck and selected close on the screen. I saw system updating in the top left corner. I walked away and now the system updating is gone. No other message on the screen. Can i assume the update is done?

No. It will tell you when to restart the truck. After restart wait a while and then it will tell you to remove USB.
Sponsored