Sponsored

Android widget

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Is the widget supposed to provide any feedback when it successfully locks/unlocks or starts the vehicle ? Could the hood turn green if the engine is running ? Half the time I get a small failed message at the bottom. Sometimes I get a transmit ok, but nothing happened. It seems not as quick or responsive as the Ford app. I'm not complaining or criticizing, just want to understand what to expect. Thanks

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I've got a Lightning VIN and many are posted here on the site in other threads. I'm carrying an iPhone though.

Would a VIN make a difference if you aren't logged into the account it is associated with?

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, Premium RWD
Occupation
Retired
It will partially work; the "1FM" part of the VIN will make the widget think it's an F-150, but the rest will think it needs to draw a Mach-E, and some of the data won't display correctly (it won't know the distance to empty or tank volume).

It wouldn't be too difficult to add support; the easiest thing would be to add recognition for the VIN and tell it to draw an F-150. If you can find a free top-view of an Explorer, I can add that in too.
If there was wider interest I could certainly purchase one of the CAD drawing for an Explorer. People have been generous enough we could "pay it forward".

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Is the widget supposed to provide any feedback when it successfully locks/unlocks or starts the vehicle ? Could the hood turn green if the engine is running ? Half the time I get a small failed message at the bottom. Sometimes I get a transmit ok, but nothing happened. It seems not as quick or responsive as the Ford app. I'm not complaining or criticizing, just want to understand what to expect. Thanks
It should display a toast message once it receives a response from the truck; that could take up to 20 seconds. It will also update the status after that.

If the ignition is on, that icon will turn green. It's gray when it's off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I've got a Lightning VIN and many are posted here on the site in other threads. I'm carrying an iPhone though.

Would a VIN make a difference if you aren't logged into the account it is associated with?
Yeah; I'd like to see someone on Android use their account to log in. The status info can only be retrieved with a VIN matching an account. Of course there isn't any status since there's no truck, but that's the minimum the widget needs to see to know what to display.

Reactions: GDN

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
It will partially work; the "1FM" part of the VIN will make the widget think it's an F-150, but the rest will think it needs to draw a Mach-E, and some of the data won't display correctly (it won't know the distance to empty or tank volume).

It wouldn't be too difficult to add support; the easiest thing would be to add recognition for the VIN and tell it to draw an F-150. If you can find a free top-view of an Explorer, I can add that in too.
If there was wider interest I could certainly purchase one of the CAD drawing for an Explorer. People have been generous enough we could "pay it forward".
I think you can do a better job of deciphering the vin. I found this site. I think the 1FM is more that it's a Ford made in the US. I'm guessing the third is m for motor? Maybe mach-e has e for electric? (Complete guess). I'd be curious to know the first 3 of a mach-e. My guess is the first 2 are still 1F unless they are made outside the us.

Here is the site. Might make it easier to add other vehicle types if you ever wanted to.

https://vincheck.info/free-vin-decoder/free-ford-vin-decoder

How much are the cad drawings?

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think you can do a better job of deciphering the vin. I found this site. I think the 1FM is more that it's a Ford made in the US. I'm guessing the third is m for motor? Maybe mach-e has e for electric? (Complete guess). I'd be curious to know the first 3 of a mach-e. My guess is the first 2 are still 1F unless they are made outside the us.
I've been using these guides for North American vehicles.
How much are the CAD drawings?
The site I've been using is here. One drawing is about $13. It takes a few hours to modify them to something I can use, nothing too awful.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I've been using these guides for North American vehicles.
I was hoping there was more rhyme to the reason on the format, esp year to year. I didn't look closely but it looked like even the model info changed from 2021 to 2022 to some degree.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I was hoping there was more rhyme to the reason on the format, esp year to year. I didn't look closely but it looked like even the model info changed from 2021 to 2022 to some degree.
I'm hoping year-to-year doesn't change much too, except for the year code. I hope...

Sponsored
OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Version 2022.04.04 just uploaded. This is the first version with in-app updating, and of course it crashes :confused:. At least you should be able to read the changelog. To install the update the old way, go into Settings, and at the bottom click on GitHub repo. You can get the APK from there.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Thanks Ken for all the hard work! It's working great now!

Some notes for everyone on the explorer stuff that I've noticed:

1. Fordpass recognizes there are back windows, but does not provide a status. So if they are down the widget won't tell you.
  2. I've noticed that my F150 updates perhaps after I lock it? It always shows locked when it's locked. The explorer though is normally wrong, showing a door open and unlocked. I think this is on the Ford pass side and not the widget. Locking the car from fordpass updates it and then all is good. Not really a deal breaker for me, but people should know.
I will also say that profiles rocks! I love being able to switch between the 2 cars.

One note, @kennelh. The changeling said there was a new smaller widget. I could not get it to show. It only shows one in the widget list and making the widget smaller just cramps it all together.

Still super stoked about this update!

waitingforbigred

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mustang Boss 302, 2022 F150 Lariat on order
Unfortunate that there are no plans to push this to the play store.

Android 12 let's a work profile administrator block the ability to install APKs. :(

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Version 2022.04.06 just uploaded. It's a fix for the update crash. Of course, you can't use update to get it but I provided a link in the change log to save a few steps there.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
One note, @kennelh. The changelog said there was a new smaller widget. I could not get it to show. It only shows one in the widget list and making the widget smaller just cramps it all together.
It is just the one widget (for now). Once you "cramp down" the width enough it should hide the info on the left side.
Sponsored