• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

POLL: New to ford? New to full size trucks?

Are you new to Ford, full size trucks, or both?

• Total voters

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Whew!! I was wondering if I should go test drive an ICE F-150. But after the two post replies I’m good. Thank you both.
Go drive a Lightning demo. It’s incredible. Smoother. Quieter. And much quicker.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Learned to drive in a 73 Ford pickup. It was just the way of life in rural parts.

I don't know how loyal - I like Ford and their products and I had a 2014 that was a great truck. But I've had others.

My first pickup was an S10 almost 40 years ago, it was all I could afford at the time. Then moved up to a Cougar, then back to pickups - all full size extended or crew cab. 3 GMC's, then the F-150, then yep - the Model 3 got me to sell the truck. I'm back for this experience, but if I can truly deal with the Cybertruck looks and they keep it full size I'll likely be back in Tesla's superior technology if Ford can't get it together in a few years.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
First F150.

Learned how to drive F100 when I was 14 years old on my dad's Ford truck - 3 speed manual on the column shifter.

DKZB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500
My first car was a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria with almost 200,000 miles on it. Made It through 4 new drivers before calling it quits at almost 300k. Owned a few cars in between and eventually bought a Ford Escape when it was still a small SUV rather than the current crossover. Switch to a Ram 1500 and LOVE my pickup. I used to beat the heck out of my Escape interior hauling stuff around! So excited to finally have an EV Pickup rather than my Ram’s 14.5 MPG.

Not exactly a Ford loyalist but not new either. I believe in Ford vision to convert the masses to EV by making a better pickup. i Love that this is a REAL EV pickup!

illusion86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
This will be my first Ford and my first full size truck since my 99 Chevy Silverado I had in high school. I just sold my loaded GMC Canyon and sharing a Hyundai suv until I get my truck!

Sponsored

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
I am new to Ford trucks but my first car was a 1991 Ford Explorer and I have a 2017 Mustang GT. I currently drive a 2006 Ram 2500.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You aren't going to get an accurate representation doing a poll about Ford full size trucks on a Ford full size truck forum.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
New to Ford and Full size trucks. We are already a 2 EV household(Tesla MYP and 21 Etron) but I have been wanting a truck for the rental business, so Lightning came at the perfect time.

I have only heard terrible things about Ford and the last time we went to test drive a MachE, the experience was equally terrible. However, it being an EV does provide me some comfort.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
So…how do I answer this if I owned a 2004 Volvo? Does that count as being part of the Ford family? If not, would a Mercury count given the amount of rebadging? Or does it have to be Ford proper?

I suppose the fact that I’m even asking means I’m part of the Ford family…
Volvo probably shouldn't count. However, I owned Mazda Tribute, which was a Ford Escape in all but name.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Volvo probably shouldn't count. However, I owned Mazda Tribute, which was a Ford Escape in all but name.
The same would go for a B1000. What about say a Mercury Cougar? Really a contour in everything but shape and a nameplate that is very much associated to Ford. Would that count? If so..what about a Volvo S40 vs a Ford Focus/Mazda 3? What’s the acceptable percentage?

I'm curious more from an experience standby- as in, how familiar will the Lightning feel, relative to other vehicles you've owned?
That changes things even more. I’ve owned a Bronco, Taurus SHO, Wind star, Contour SVT all from the 90s and wouldn’t be relatable to the current F150 or Lightning.

PS, yes I recognize I’m being a pain in the butt. Feel free to ignore me if you’d like.

Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Coming from a 2015 F-150 XLT and other trucks before that. Currently have GM and Chrysler in the driveway. Have owned Toyota and Honda as well.

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
New to ford and full size trucks. Have owned a Tesla model S 85 in the past and just had a Toyota Tacoma. After driving the lariat, I’m all in on a full size truck!

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Have had many trucks over the years.

First was a 1978 Ford with a short bed. I was young and truck looked cool.

Fast forward to owning a hobby farm with a few horses and a 2001 Dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 extended cab with a Cummins and a 5spd manual trans and 8ft bed followed me home. Truck was an absolute beast, would pull darn near anything. Had a granny gear so unless you were towing 1st gear was useless. You could walk faster than it would drive :ROFLMAO:

Next was another Dodge, 2007 3/4 ton 4x4 4dr cab. This truck was loaded and mainly the wifes daily driver. Very comfortable truck.

We briefly had a 2005 F150, then traded it for a 2018 F150 XLT Sport. Both gas models. Just don't need the diesel power or fuel costs these days.

We chose Dodge over Ford (in most cases) due to the Cummins engine. Preferred it to the Powerstroke. We did shop Chevy as well but could never get over how cheap the cabin felt and the cost was always higher than the other 2. Dodge/Ram was always the least expensive brand (in my experience) but Ford offered much more room inside, especially the front passenger seat. We compromised because of the Cummins.

OP
OP
RainorshinePNW

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
You aren't going to get an accurate representation doing a poll about Ford full size trucks on a Ford full size truck forum.
As I said in the OP... "Understanding that users here may skew this poll relative to the general public/the bulk of the reservations, but still curious."

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Never drove a full-sized truck, but owned a 1994 Roadtrek 190, 2000 GMC 2500 Savana and 2015 Merc sprinter 3500, so used to driving large vehicles, mostly long distances.

Grew up in 1960's Fords, owned a 72 Pinto and 74? Bobcat for a year or so, but not a really Ford person. Primarily Chevy and Mercedes to date. Sister had an old Ranger that had 400,000+ miles on it, which was impressive to me.
Sponsored