• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range took a huge drop

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
What are the reasons you get more than the estimate?
1. Live in a warm weather area all year around (sunny 300+ days + never drops below 50 degrees in the winter).
2. City urban driving only.
3. Flat terrain - no hills/mountains.
4. Low speed driving - lots of braking - regen - bumper to bumper coasting - never above 45MPH.
5. Very little climate control use - seat ventilation used 300+ days a year. Usually only windows down.
6. No towing, no hauling, one person commuter vehicle.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
You guys should check out MME forum, where some UK customer will invariably complain that Ford promised him a range of 372(WLTP) miles and all he's seeing is about 300 miles.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Realistically, if I go by the GOM, SOM (stress o meter) I’m getting 240 ETA from it, from my driving around on highways for the last 1500 miles, at 65-70 in nice fair weather. To me that’s not acceptable from the sticker. It’s not close enough.

But, is that what I am really getting out of my battery? I don’t know and that’s why I’m not stressing, or saying I’m taking it back to Ford. I haven’t calculated the real miles driven, to the percentage the battery was at and the mph I was doing it at, including the climate. Once I do that, I will have a decent estimate of what the battery is doing. If, at that time I’m truly getting 240 of highway range doing 65-70 in good weather, damn right I’m taking it into Ford. At that point I would tell myself that’s a felony clue that something might be wrong with my battery. Not everyone’s, but mine. Working with high tech in the last 16 years, there’s a failure rate with most things that are hardware electronic. If that’s the case I will have it taken care of.

Everyone has to take it by a case to case basis and do their homework. I’m not saying I have a bad battery. I am saying I hate that damn GOM at this moment in time. I Need more testing and Im going to have to wait for warmer weather next year.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Realistically, if I go by the GOM, SOM (stress o meter) I’m getting 240 ETA from it, from my driving around on highways for the last 1500 miles, at 65-70 in nice fair weather. To me that’s not acceptable from the sticker. It’s not close enough.

But, is that what I am really getting out of my battery? I don’t know and that’s why I’m not stressing, or saying I’m taking it back to Ford. I haven’t calculated the real miles driven, to the percentage the battery was at and the mph I was doing it at, including the climate. Once I do that, I will have a decent estimate of what the battery is doing. If, at that time I’m truly getting 240 of highway range doing 65-70 in good weather, damn right I’m taking it into Ford. At that point I would tell myself that’s a felony clue that something might be wrong with my battery. Not everyone’s, but mine. Working with high tech in the last 16 years, there’s a failure rate with most things that are hardware electronic. If that’s the case I will have it taken care of.

Everyone has to take it by a case to case basis and do their homework. I’m not saying I have a bad battery. I am saying I hate that damn GOM at this moment in time. I Need more testing and Im going to have to wait for warmer weather next year.
I really don't think you have a faulty battery.

You need to use an app to measure actual distance travelled and compare it to the amount of energy used.

Since I hate the GOM and don't need to see it as a SOM, I just turned on my calm mode on both screens and treat it like a gasoline engine vehicle - the battery range = fuel gauge...
Ford F-150 Lightning Range took a huge drop IMG_2872

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3

Try resetting the GOM mileage estimator to the factory default before your next drive and see what it recalculates. One button and BOOM you have 320 again!

Personally i’m averaging 1.4-1.7mi/kh which is a bummer but I was prepared. My Tesla got now where near the rated range on my same commute to work (510 mile round trip and 70-75 AZ speed limits) high speed highway driving for that distance is hard on any car ICE or EV.

Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it makes anyone feel better this is my average GOM give or take 20miles LARIAT ER.
Ford F-150 Lightning Range took a huge drop 404A0897-CD26-4C47-8889-2B864DB5535D

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
1. Live in a warm weather area all year around (sunny 300+ days + never drops below 50 degrees in the winter).
2. City urban driving only.
3. Flat terrain - no hills/mountains.
4. Low speed driving - lots of braking - regen - bumper to bumper coasting - never above 45MPH.
5. Very little climate control use - seat ventilation used 300+ days a year. Usually only windows down.
6. No towing, no hauling, one person commuter vehicle.
Understand. Very different from my environment. Thanks

Brilliant. Agreed. I hope you will share the data when you collect it.
Try resetting the GOM mileage estimator to the factory default before your next drive and see what it recalculates. One button and BOOM you have 320 again!

Personally i’m averaging 1.4-1.7mi/kh which is a bummer but I was prepared. My Tesla got now where near the rated range on my same commute to work (510 mile round trip and 70-75 AZ speed limits) high speed highway driving for that distance is hard on any car ICE or EV.
I like this idea! what are the steps to reset the GOM to factory reset position?

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Understand. Very different from my environment. Thanks

Brilliant. Agreed. I hope you will share the data when you collect it.

I like this idea! what are the steps to reset the GOM to factory reset position?
Settings:
Vehicle:
Scroll to the bottom
“EV Driving History”
Once you reset it, your range will magically got back to 320 or 250 respectively.

It clears the prior driving history so like stating from scratch👍🏻

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It’s happening to all EV’s around the world as we speak except for the LFP Tesla Model 3.

Also, there is an expected 10% degradation in the first couple of years, it could come sooner it could come later.

Lighting rated= 320
10% degradation= 288
90% Charge= 259

Then take into account cold weather and those ranges drop. In my case I have seen 10% range drop because of a Front lift, wheels/tires, and weather change. Before that I was at 250-260 with Warner weather and hilly terrain on my daily drive. I have never reached the Ford claimed range on 90% or 100%

There are so many factors with range that you can’t exactly pinpoint what’s causing it. I haven’t seen a case yet where any manufacturer has changed a battery packed because of severe degradation but maybe I am just not looking in the right places.
Using degradation to explain the GOM is ridiculous. Not a single Lightning has any degradation at this point.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd say that only 239 miles at 100% is a problem. That's a long way from the 320 promised.
Nothing was promised by anyone. Total lack of understanding of EPA estimates.

Ford promised. And mine is no where near those numbers. I am not getting anywhere near 283.1 on the highway. I'm not even getting 283.1 in the city!

An EV is not for you.

Do you get the EPA numbers in your ICE vehicles?

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You can reset the GOM until the cows come home if you want. Or you can just drive it and get used to it.

My truck charged to 100 last night. This morning it said I had 250 miles of range. I am averaging 2.1 mi/kWh so I know that is wrong. Sure enough, after my 54 mile commute into work this is what the truck thinks I have now.

Ford F-150 Lightning Range took a huge drop Screenshot_20221022_074650

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can reset the GOM until the cows come home if you want. Or you can just drive it and get used to it.

My truck charged to 100 last night. This morning it said I had 250 miles of range. I am averaging 2.1 mi/kWh so I know that is wrong. Sure enough, after my 54 mile commute into work this is what the truck thinks I have now.

Screenshot_20221022_074650.jpg
Let's do that math.

250 / 131 = 1.91

Trip says 2.1.

2.1/1.91 = 9.9% more.

Except 2.1 could be 2.045. 2.045/1.91=7% more....

Drove 50 miles. Truck now says 209 at 85%. 250-54=196. 209/196=6.6% more. Reasons include more regen that you had been getting, temp went up, ...

209 at 85% = 246 at 100%, pretty close to 250.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Or you could just do 2.1 x 131 and simplify all that.

Until you actually drive it to 0 its all a guess, whether you do the math or the truck does. And if this causes the driver anxiety and strife they are better off going back to ICE.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Nothing was promised by anyone. Total lack of understanding of EPA estimates.

An EV is not for you.

Do you get the EPA numbers in your ICE vehicles?
I do! Over 89,000 miles and 9 years I get 29.8 MPG when EPA was 23 city, 37 highway. I get smartly in the middle of the two numbers. On the Lightning, I am getting below both the highway and the city numbers. And the decision as to whether or not an EV is for me, is my decision, not yours.
Sponsored