Options Removed (chip shortage)

bclightning

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma 4X4, Explorer Sport
I did not see another post about this so thought I would see if anyone else had a similar experience. I put in my reservation in May 21 and finally was able to order my Lightning. last week I ordered Lariat LR with the 511A equipment group. My truck is now schedule for production and upon reviewing my order summary I noticed that the onboard scale/hitch and heated steering wheel were removed. I called Ford and was told those options were removed due to the chip shortage. It bothers me that I waited 18 months to order this truck and now options that I wanted are being removed even though the ford website build and price still has those options listed under the 511A equipment group. Anyone else have this happen?

Should I have ordered the platinum? Are those having options removed as well?
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
They are removed from both trims - lots of posts about all these shortages already - not sure how you didn't see them! You will be getting a credit. Also, no more all-season tires on Lariat - you'll get all-terrain now.

H3IMDALL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Boxster GTS, Porsche Panamera Turbo
Occupation
Software Architect
My dealer thinks we’ll be able to add those back later but not sure enough to state it in writing. So hopefully.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Any options you are missing are missing on all trims.

As others have said there have been a multitude of posts regarding this.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I don't think anyone has taken delivery of a truck missing these features and if they have it hasn't been torn down to see what is actually missing so I don't think anyone has a good grasp on what it will take to add these back and if Ford will do it. I know on the explorer and other vehicles in the past for had explicitly stated that the feature would be able to be added later and they haven't said this in the case of the lightning so I wouldn't count on it.
Unfortunately Ford knows that the truck will sell no matter what with or without those features, if you don't take it, someone else will and the dealer will probably make more money than if you bought it.

Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
It bites to not get the heated steering wheel, for sure!. On board scale is mostly just gizmo stunt. It doesn't actually weigh your payload, just shows if you are getting close or not. Most people can figure out if they are getting close already, based on weights of people and weights of stuff and sagging bed.

Smart hitch is a different matter. And for people in the northern latitudes, paying $75-95k for a truck without a heated wheel, may be the straw that broke the deal's back. Heck, heated steering wheel and Blue Cruise hand's free are the reason I ordered a Lariat. So far my Lariat, completed 10/30, doesn't list any features as deleted, but I will believe they are there when I see them, since my salesman said they were deleting the scales.

For me, if dealer insists on a last minute price raise above MSRP, that is when I would walk away.

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Software Programer
Yeah, heated steering wheel is one reason I cancelled mine with the dealer after scheduling.

And these options are removed for good. As per my salesmen, Ford will not/can not put it back. It looks both the chips and the necessary hardware are removed entirely.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, heated steering wheel is one reason I cancelled mine with the dealer after scheduling.

And these options are removed for good. As per my salesmen, Ford will not/can not put it back. It looks both the chips and the necessary hardware are removed entirely.
To be fair, the heated wheel isn't that great. It only runs for about 10 minutes and doesn't work at all if you precondition the truck.

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Software Programer
To be fair, the heated wheel isn't that great. It only runs for about 10 minutes and doesn't work at all if you precondition the truck.
I think that is fair.
first 10 min is when need heated steering badly. Once cabin temp is normal we don't need it. I guess it depends on person - person then :D. Once you have it you can not NOT have it.

Anyway my gripe being, lariat at that price - there should not be an option to skip.
I would have been happy if ford installed only the prep kit(hard ware installed) and at a later date they should have installed the chips, and everyone is win-win.

They did the same for my Mach-E, to be installed at a later date for no charge. (But this is no one rally uses). It takes ages for it to figure it out and park by itself.
Ford F-150 Lightning Options Removed (chip shortage) 1667529598100

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I don't believe this is correct. I have just recently started to pre-condition my truck and the steering wheel and seats are most definitely warmed up when I get in it.

Also, the heated steering wheel on mine does NOT time out. It's on until I press the button to turn it off.

I don't know if that is what you were told, or what you've experienced, however I have an opposite experience to this.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't believe this is correct. I have just recently started to pre-condition my truck and the steering wheel and seats are most definitely warmed up when I get in it.

Also, the heated steering wheel on mine does NOT time out. It's on until I press the button to turn it off.

I don't know if that is what you were told, or what you've experienced, however I have an opposite experience to this.
It is what I have experienced on the ER Lariat I picked up about 4 weeks ago. Others have posted similar experiences here.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

It’s amazing how uninformed car salesman are. Ford has announced that the heated wheel will be restored in the future. I haven’t seen anything about the scales though.
https://fordauthority.com/2022/10/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-production-axes-heated-steering-wheel/

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
It is what I have experienced on the ER Lariat I picked up about 4 weeks ago. Others have posted similar experiences here.
Is your's a '23? Mine's a '22. Wonder if it is a software thing or not. Seems odd that the heated wheel wouldn't turn off (I often find that I forget mine is on honestly and then shut it off - had the same issue in my '15 F-150). I can see why they wouldn't put the heated wheel in on the precondition. It takes about 4 seconds to get the heat out of it in my experience - much faster than my '15 was.

Interesting.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Anyway my gripe being, lariat at that price - there should not be an option to skip.
I would have been happy if ford installed only the prep kit(hard ware installed) and at a later date they should have installed the chips, and everyone is win-win.
I think the parts missing are internal and not easy to get at.

Unfortunately it is what it is. If Ford were to stop making Lariats until all the chips got back in stock we'd all be complaining about a different issue...

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Software Programer
It’s amazing how uninformed car salesman are. Ford has announced that the heated wheel will be restored in the future. I haven’t seen anything about the scales though.
https://fordauthority.com/2022/10/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-production-axes-heated-steering-wheel/
mmm, I don't think you are right. I double checked it twice with the dealer/manager before cancelling mine. To solidify my case, here is the vehicle details in my account - these options (with negative amount) should have said (prep kit) not removal. I wish I am wrong but lmk
Ford F-150 Lightning Options Removed (chip shortage) 1667531002863
Sponsored