• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Sunroofs Suck - Seal Issue Discovered

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
OK. That's different. He never said he was in Canada.
Well it still sucks that here in the US if you ordered a Lariat ER you HAD to take the moonroof. I was going to try ordering a Pro ER just so I wouldn't have to take the moonroof. But that didn't work out either.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
I always try to buy Fords without sunroofs due to all the leaking horror stories. Unfortunately this was not possible on the Lightning Lariat. Decided to check out the sunroof today for the first time and left rear corner seal has issues. Argh.

1669575069975.jpeg
No mine does not leak (yet). Amazing how poor the installations are. Is this normal or acceptable? How does it get past QC?
I agree with you, quality issue on the seal around the sunroof is a problem, but what are our option if it doesn’t leak?

Bring it to dealer and have them replace the seal and risk a worst than before problem. Or leave it alone since it is brand new and and does not leak inside. We have 3 year or 36k mile warranty so I figure just keep and eye on it from time to time and wait and see.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Well it still sucks that here in the US if you ordered a Lariat ER you HAD to take the moonroof. I was going to try ordering a PRo ER just so I wouldn't have to take the moonroof. But that didn't work out either.
I hear ya. I intentionally ordered my past 2 ICE trucks not to have the moonroof. I didn't want it on my Lightning either.

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
While I do agree it doesn’t look quite right in your pics and concur it shouldn’t have made it past QC…I quite like the panoramic sunroof and was happy to get it. My wife has a ‘13 escape with 120k miles…and despite plenty of other issues…nota one with the panoramic sunroof. Sure, it’s a potential failure point…but that’s true of damn near everything on any modern vehicle.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had that same roof on my '15 Lariat where I first learned what a PITA it was with the alignment and rattling issues...even though I never used it. That includes the broken plastic track issue. And then when I ordered my '18 Raptor I specifically didn't order one...but when I traded that in to my dealer because of the extended downtime for the cam phasers for a brand new '20 Raptor that they had ordered for stock...it was loaded and had the moonroof 🤦‍♂️ . So back to having to align the glass to get it to seal properly (yes...from the factory it was out of alignment) and to spraying the seal with the special silicone spray about every six months (see below) to prevent the rattle from the dry and dirty seal rubbing up and down against the paint in the roof opening channel.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Sunroofs Suck - Seal Issue Discovered Moonroof_Lube

And even though you're supposed to wipe the channels down with a soft damp cloth and mild soap and water....that's fine for the front glass that moves...what about the back glass where the debris gets between the seal and the roof and rubs and chatters....yeah they didn't think this through.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Sunroofs Suck - Seal Issue Discovered moonroof_clea

And I couldn't care less about looking through the glass in the roof, and I keep the shade closed and try very hard to forget that I even have a moonroof... that to me is only a liability, and something that requires additional maintenance. Adding insult to the inconvenience, the fact that I couldn't get this truck with an extended battery without having to take the extra hole in the roof.

For those who like it...great. For me it's just another problem waiting to eventually appear.....and it will show up sooner or later.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
My location shows that I'm in Canada. We can option the extended range battery without the moonroof, maybe because of our winters?
Your location isn't displayed on the mobile browser.

I would guess that you are correct. Because of the weather you get in Canada, the Options are different. I know with the ICE trucks, heated seats and 36 gallon tanks are standard on more truck then the US specd counterparts.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My location shows that I'm in Canada. We can option the extended range battery without the moonroof, maybe because of our winters?
Did your sales person need to use an option delete code to accomplish the adjustment?
Did that saved a few dollars on the MSRP in the form of a credit?

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
Did your sales person need to use an option delete code to accomplish the adjustment?
Did that saved a few dollars on the MSRP in the form of a credit?
No, the extended battery was a listed option. I could get the 511A which included the moonroof etc or the extended battery option. 511A was a lot of money and I really didn't want the moonroof. There was no credit or anything like that because the ER battery was an option on a "base" Lariat.

I've attached my window sticker.

Attachments

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, the extended battery was a listed option. I could get the 511A which included the moonroof etc or the extended battery option. 511A was a lot of money and I really didn't want the moonroof. There was no credit or anything like that because the ER battery was an option on a "base" Lariat.

I've attached my window sticker.
And factoring in the exchange rate it would have been $71,225.00 MSRP. I could have gone for a deal like that even with just a 12" screen in the center. Everything I wanted really.

....well played sir....well played. (y)

Sponsored

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
And factoring in the exchange rate it would have been $71,225.00 MSRP. I could have gone for a deal like that even with just a 12" screen in the center. Everything I wanted really.

....well played sir....well played. (y)
I have the large (15") centre screen though, despite it showing 12" on the sticker. I think the 15" was standard for all (Canadian at least) Lariats.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
That’s nuthin - just wait until your plastic track system breaks. I don’t use the moonroof to open and close but have had them on six F-series trucks since 2010, like the open feel and hate the dark cavern that Ford creates with its black interiors. Two of my track systems have broken - it’s a $3.5k job to replace - requires removing the entire interior, all pillar plastic, seats, carpet. Last one was a 2017 F350 that was a few hundred miles out of warranty - big dispute with Ford, the finally paid up because it was clear there is no way user error could contribute, but wow, what a piece of bad engineering.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I discovered another moonroof related issue, for weeks I have been hearing a rattling sound while the sunscreen is closed, often when I open the screen halfway or fully the rattle goes away.

While doing this once again while driving, my wife noticed the rubber bellows on the drivers side under the sliding glass section was flopping around while we traversed rough roads.

This was the source of the rattle, after arriving home, I took a closer look and sure enough the upper lip of the bellows untucked from the rigid plastic at the edge of the glass panel, I tucked it back into position, took the truck for another pothole adventure and 93% of the rattles are gone!!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I discovered another moonroof related issue, for weeks I have been hearing a rattling sound while the sunscreen is closed, often when I open the screen halfway or fully the rattle goes away.

While doing this once again while driving, my wife noticed the rubber bellows on the drivers side under the sliding glass section was flopping around while we traversed rough roads.

This was the source of the rattle, after arriving home, I took a closer look and sure enough the upper lip of the bellows untucked from the rigid plastic at the edge of the glass panel, I tucked it back into position, took the truck for another pothole adventure and 93% of the rattles are gone!!
I would have guessed it would have fixed 96% of the rattles. 😂

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but I was a little surprised the way it's configured with the panel opening into the truck vs out. It just seems like the seal setup could be much more effective closing from the exterior but I'm not an engineer.
Sponsored