Sponsored

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
Is there any fear that Ford will catch on to the DIY adaptive cruise and disable via future update? Maybe I'm dumb and don't get how the software works, but that is my biggest concern with this hack.
It's possible... But they'd have to do an audit of the build sheet vs the enabled features on a vehicle by vehicle basis. It's probably possible, but pretty unlikely. I could more easily see the dealer re-setting things if it was in for a specific service. If that was done though, you could re-do the programming in forscan and it'd likely work again. The F150 guys have been doing these kind of mods for many years and have never had any issues.
Sponsored

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Congratulations!

Where did you get your steering wheel decal?
Thanks! Everyone's help here made it happen. I'm stoked there's a few people into doing these kinds of crazy things to their new trucks.

As for the decal, I got it from Etsy, I can't say I recommend it as the fit isn't perfect though. etsy link

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is there any fear that Ford will catch on to the DIY adaptive cruise and disable via future update? Maybe I'm dumb and don't get how the software works, but that is my biggest concern with this hack.
Don't call yourself dumb, but yes, you do not understand how firmware and module configuration are two completely separate items. There is traditional auto reasoning behind all of this and how it makes it easier for Ford to produce the vehicles in mechanics to service the vehicles. Basically All trucks share the same firmware(mostly) and thus can be updated freely by Ford without affecting features. Feature control is done by module configuration and physical module presence and rightfully so because there are so many different variations of features on trucks. This is what your as-built information is/controls if you've heard that term before. There's a lot more to the reasoning behind why it is done this way, but it has to do with manufacturability.

An easy way to explain this is, your infotainment system has the software/menu options to do everything possible on any truck that particular infotainment module (APIM) comes in. The APIM module configuration simply controls what menu items you are allowed to see when you go through the menus. Same with any module you interact with like the dash/gauges. This is what enables Ford to make one instrument cluster that works on a pro or a platinum with Blue Cruise. That same dash that is in a pro has the capability to do everything needed for Blue Cruise, You will just never see it because the module configuration is such that it is not enabled.

Yes, Ford can monitor module configuration changes, and yes they can rewrite them with telematics, but will they,,,,NO. They can't even produce the trucks fast enough or fix the software bugs they have currently. It would take an entire department, program, corporate software platform to try to police this and create a telematics/logistics nightmare because lots of other important things are held in configuration like calibrations that are safety critical. Ford wouldn't take the risk to go in and tinker with module configurations in a bit/byte manner like owners can and do with for FORScan. A lot of what I just stated is the same reasoning why dealers themselves cannot just go in and add a factory feature. FDRS doesn't even allow easy bit/byte manipulation like for FORScan does.

Last edited:

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One more question as I'm looking to replace the switch on the steering wheel now that everything is working. I tried using a screw driver in the back of the wheel to release the airbag, but It just doesn't feel right when I push the screw driver in. Does anyone have any tips/tricks that may help me get this last piece of the puzzle figured out?

Also, to add another data point for wiring... My truck is a base 2023 XLT(built November 2022) and had all the wires in place from the factory. I only had to replace the harness in the bumper and install the radar unit.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
One more question as I'm looking to replace the switch on the steering wheel now that everything is working. I tried using a screw driver in the back of the wheel to release the airbag, but It just doesn't feel right when I push the screw driver in. Does anyone have any tips/tricks that may help me get this last piece of the puzzle figured out?

Also, to add another data point for wiring... My truck is a base 2023 XLT(built November 2022) and had all the wires in place from the factory. I only had to replace the harness in the bumper and install the radar unit.
I just watched this youtube, had zero trouble getting it out:

Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I have a 23' XLT 311A (no max tow/tow tech) and just verified that it already has wiring for 9, 18, 19 and 20. Just ordered all the items required from Tasca. The waiting begins......

pdxmadman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat Extended Range, Rapid Red
I'm happy to report that ACC and Lane Keep Assist were successfully installed on my 23 Lightning Pro today!!!

Like some others, I had to add the power and can bus wires from under the glovebox to the new harness in the bumper. 4 wires total. I was working with the original poster, Brotato, who put in many hours on this challenge. Once the wires were installed, the ACC module in the bumper was recognized immediately recognized in FORSCAN.

We did have some challenges after running Forscan and calibration of the module. We successfully calibrated the truck twice but it was not recognizing either the ACC or regular cruise control module. After about an hour and a half of going through everything we could think of, checking all Forscan settings, rebooting the vehicle, disconnecting the battery, it still didn't recognize the module. We had given up for the night and I was driving the truck home when all of a sudden, ACC just worked out of the blue. Maybe it needed to be driven a few more miles after the successful calibration, who really knows? Anyhow, I guess patience payed off. I believe this is the first reported Pro to receive this upgrade. I am stoked beyond words.

My sincere gratitude to all in this forum, but especially Brotato (Daniel) and ZSC100 (Zach) whose help pushed this over the top. Thanks again guys!

This was a 2023 Lightning Pro with the Tow Technology Package Package (with 360 degree camera).

Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT IMG_0212

Last edited:

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I'm happy to report that ACC and Lane Keep Assist were successfully installed on my 23 Lightning Pro today!!!

Like some others, I had to add the power and can bus wires from under the glovebox to the new harness in the bumper. 4 wires total. I was working with the original poster, Brotato, who put in many hours on this challenge. Once the wires were installed, the ACC module in the bumper was recognized immediately recognized in FORSCAN.

We did have some challenges after running Forscan and calibration of the module. We successfully calibrated the truck twice but it was not recognizing either the ACC or regular cruise control module. After about an hour and a half of going through everything we could think of, checking all Forscan settings, rebooting the vehicle, disconnecting the battery, it still didn't recognize the module. We had given up for the night and I was driving the truck home when all of a sudden, ACC just worked out of the blue. Maybe it needed to be driven a few more miles after the successful calibration, who really knows? Anyhow, I guess patience payed off. I believe this is the first reported Pro to receive this upgrade. I am stoked beyond words.

My sincere gratitude to all in this forum, but especially Brotato (Daniel) and ZSC100 (Zach) whose help pushed this over the top. Thanks again guys!

This was a 2023 Lightning Pro with the Tow Technology Package Package (with 360 degree camera).

IMG_0212.jpeg
Awesome! My Pro is being built right now and this is one of the upgrades that I really want to do. Thanks to everyone for figuring this out!

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I got all the parts installed and moved on to the programming portion with no success getting the CCM to pick up in Forscan. Verified all my inputs and even did 706-02-02 and still no luck. Set all settings back to original settings except for the SCCM for the cruise button so I I have standard cruise control for tomorrows drive into work. So defeated 😔 any help or insight would be awesome. My 23 XLT does have the wire before anyone says that lol. @laselvasurf

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I got all the parts installed and moved on to the programming portion with no success getting the CCM to pick up in Forscan. Verified all my inputs and even did 706-02-02 and still no luck. Set all settings back to original settings except for the SCCM for the cruise button so I I have standard cruise control for tomorrows drive into work. So defeated 😔 any help or insight would be awesome. My 23 XLT does have the wire before anyone says that lol. @laselvasurf
Don't be discouraged, the community will help you out, you'll get it fixed soon.

So, I actually tested voltage at the bumper CCM plug before I even plugged in my module. I did this because I'm an electrical engineer and I A: don't trust the engineers to have built polarity protection into the CCM and B: don't trust myself and all the pin work and wiring I did after midnight across several days and work sessions :). So, I did 100% verify that the IMPA changes turn on power to the CCM. This power can be tested for presence with a volt meter or 12v automotive test light. There are only 4 pins used on C1897 (the CCM plug) even though it's an 8pin connector:
Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT 1682726353607

Execute the IMPA changes then test the GY-OG and GN-WH for 12v power. If you don't have power and you've successfully executed and checked your IMPA config changes then I bet you have a section of wiring missing somewhere. Let us know what happens.

Hasler

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning
I finally got some time and performed this install. Everything worked for me with no extra wiring. I did check the c134 connector and found it populated already, so I was good to go. Calibration went ok, it did sit at 99% for a while. I have attached photo of connector for CCM if you wanted to build your own harness from the CCM back to C265. I have wires and pins available if some one wants to buy them. I didn’t need them for my install.
Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT IMG_8803

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Don't be discouraged, the community will help you out, you'll get it fixed soon.

So, I actually tested voltage at the bumper CCM plug before I even plugged in my module. I did this because I'm an electrical engineer and I A: don't trust the engineers to have built polarity protection into the CCM and B: don't trust myself and all the pin work and wiring I did after midnight across several days and work sessions :). So, I did 100% verify that the IMPA changes turn on power to the CCM. This power can be tested for presence with a volt meter or 12v automotive test light. There are only 4 pins used on C1897 (the CCM plug) even though it's an 8pin connector:
1682726353607.png

Execute the IMPA changes then test the GY-OG and GN-WH for 12v power. If you don't have power and you've successfully executed and checked your IMPA config changes then I bet you have a section of wiring missing somewhere. Let us know what happens.
Sooooo I have one of the XLTs that had the wiring on the driver's side but nothing from the passenger side to the bumper. After running the four wires I magically have 12v at the connector who would of thought 😂 I got all of the settings entered in Forscan and programmed the CCM module twice to 100%. Throwing the message that adaptive cruise control unavailable. Hoping after being left alone overnight it works in the morning like a couple others seem to have happen. If not my laptop is in the frunk waiting in the morning 🌄. The project was fairly easy even with having to wire up with the CCM. The worst part was the lack of access in the passenger footwell and never removing pins from the connectors but YouTube helped my confidence pretty quick.

Last edited:

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sooooo I have one of the XLTs that had the wiring on the driver's side but nothing from the passenger side to the bumper. After running the four wires I magically have 12v at the connector who would of thought 😂 I got all of the settings entered in Forscan and programmed the CCM module twice to 100%. Throwing the message that adaptive cruise control unavailable. Hoping after being left alone overnight it works in the morning like a couple others seem to have happen. If not my laptop is in the frunk waiting in the morning 🌄. The project was fairly easy even with having to wire up with the CCM. The worst part was the lack of access in the passenger footwell and never removing pins from the connectors but YouTube helped my confidence pretty quick.
Yea, just check your configs against all the modules involved, you prob. missed something. "not available" message is what you get if any of the involved modules don't have the correct config. You're almost there. Also, my truck had quite a few different defaults from the original post, and a few that were already correct. I just consulted this document as I was doing to double check everything:
Livnitup's FORScan - 2021-23 F150

Last edited:

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Glad you got it working!
Sponsored