Failed update

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I've gotten this for a week now.... I've tried charging my 12v to 100%, turning off my headlights, activating my parking brake and nothing seems to work.... Any Ideas???

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed update Screenshot_2023-07-09-00-04-49-98_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I've gotten this for a week now.... I've tried charging my 12v to 100%, turning off my headlights, activating my parking brake and nothing seems to work.... Any Ideas???

Screenshot_2023-07-09-00-04-49-98_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647.jpg

I have been stuck on this for a while too. Mine is pu0306:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/priority-update-23-pu0306-bcf-det.15669/

The way I see it, I will get some broken things fixed and I will get some working things broken. It all evens out so I don't stress out over missing the update. If they knew what they were doing we would not be having this conversation.

4BLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT-SR Max Tow Azure Gray Metallic
I had issues with a update last month failing to install as well. I ended up changing the install window time to 5 minutes after I drove the truck. My commute to work is 45 minutes and as soon as I got there I plugged into the charger there and the update finally installed 5 minutes after. I hope this helps.

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
I was gone 15 days but left FCS plugged in. Came back and drove for about 10 mins and got update message. Tried twice and failed each time. I decided to see if it was my 12 v that caused the problem and took 40 mile ride to nowhere. Came back and told system to install now and it was completed.
I would bet it was State of Charge (SOC) on the 12 v and not the voltage. With all the info the truck shares I don’t understand why if its a SOC issue and the update checks it before it makes the install why the failure to install message does not list the parameters needed for install and show which one failed.
I also have a battery tender that can use the cig lighter to charge and I keep my Magnum SRT8 battery charged using it. But when I try to charge the Lightning using that it will not work. Guess I need to go in Frunk and hard wire it.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
@theblunden

search the forum. update failure is discussed here with hundreds of posts.

12v low SOC seems to be the most common factor by a long shot. We’ve experienced it, and shared our experiences.

not tied to a specific update.

mine failed over 60 times, then no longer tried to install. Ultimately they said I had a hardware issue, but after replacing that ford mo co gave Dealer bad advice and I went another 45 days without it being fixed. 6 months without an update for me.

but take Frankie’s advice - RELAX. None of the updates are critical to your driving safety, read what we’ve shared.

one of the best tips I saw - rather than driving truck to help bring up 12v SOC, simply disconnect both terminals and give it a healthy charge from a charger.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The whole problem is about the 12v battery SOC. I'm 99% sure the park brake, etc nothing matters, because I never set mine.

If you've charged your 12v - do a BMS reset on it. You'll update right away, within 24 hours almost guaranteed.

To reset the BMS, turn on accessory mode (press start without pressing the brake), flash the brights 5 times quickly, then press the brake 3 times. The battery icon on the lower right of the dash will blink and then turn back to solid.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Dear @Ford Motor Company,
I humbly offer a system update suggestion ...
1. If update is available
2. Then check LV Battery SOC
3. If LV Battery SOC is below limit required for update
4. Then use HV Battery to charge LV Battery
5. If LV Battery SOC is at or above limit required for update
6. Then run update
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Lytning

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Some have had success by simply keeping the truck "running" , for about an hour.

WRSNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Does it make a difference whether the battery is charged using the connection points on the passenger side of the frunk vs. disconnecting the truck at the battery and charging the battery standalone? Is a BMS reset appropriate after fully charging regardless of which charging connection is used?

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I tried the BMS reset as suggested above with no luck. The update still fails. I guess I'll ignore it for now. The update process is a PITA compared to Tesla. My Model Y gets updated about very month and it's a seamless process, no issues of any kind.

Regards,
Alan

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
simply disconnect both terminals and give it a healthy charge from a charger.

p.s My 12V SOC was
What happens if I charge it with terminals connected like I do with all my ICE vehicles?

I doubt this is the issue with mine since my 12V SOC was in 80s when it failed.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
took 40 mile ride to nowhere.
Couldn't you just have it on for 40 minutes in driveway instead? There is no alternator. I don't know this for a fact but I assume HV contactors closing should be enough to charge.

gern

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Couldn't you just have it on for 40 minutes in driveway instead? There is no alternator. I don't know this for a fact but I assume HV contactors closing should be enough to charge.
Count me as another person who cannot get this update to install. I turned on my Lightning, sat in it for an hour and then tried installing and it still failed. Contacting online Ford support was a waste of time, as they were useless. As a Tesla owner, I know how OTA updates should work. Ford has completely failed on this “feature” and I am close to telling everyone I know to avoid @Ford Motor Company vehicles like the plague.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
FINALLY..... I did the BSM reset thing yesterday @GDN with two failed attempts after the fact the first manual attempt and the second one was the nightly programed updates. Had a 45 minute drive into work this morning and figured screw it I'll try another manual update when getting out of the truck. Wouldn't you guess it worked.... SMH come on this shouldn't be a thing..... @Ford Motor Company

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Count me as another person who cannot get this update to install. I turned on my Lightning, sat in it for an hour and then tried installing and it still failed. Contacting online Ford support was a waste of time, as they were useless. As a Tesla owner, I know how OTA updates should work. Ford has completely failed on this “feature” and I am close to telling everyone I know to avoid @Ford Motor Company vehicles like the plague.
I would not go that far yet. As long as truck runs and does not leave me stranded or force me go to a dealer for service, I still recommend it. Farley admitted in an interview that they suck at software. I kinda knew what I was getting myself into. Rivian is better with updates put has other issues like phantom drain, possessed Suspension, not enough service centers, …. Any option has it’s own compromises. Ford’s is software. I am more concerned about the things they do on purpose like giving/selling out my info. Then they ask how much I trust Ford after each call.
Sponsored