Sponsored

Failed update

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
My truck has been unsuccessfully trying to push PU0306-BCF-DET since 6/21. Glad I'm not the only one. Shouldn't have to screw with the 12V to get basic OTA functionality to work. @Ford Motor Company are you listening?
Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
No kidding ... I have had updates occur on 3 separate occasions in the shopping center parking lot while I went inside to Total Wine for about 10 minutes to pick up an order. The type of wine purchased does not seem to hinder the update process.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
The whole problem is about the 12v battery SOC. I'm 99% sure the park brake, etc nothing matters, because I never set mine.

If you've charged your 12v - do a BMS reset on it. You'll update right away, within 24 hours almost guaranteed.

To reset the BMS, turn on accessory mode (press start without pressing the brake), flash the brights 5 times quickly, then press the brake 3 times. The battery icon on the lower right of the dash will blink and then turn back to solid.
This worked for me. It also got rid of the annoying "Electrical System Drain Service Required" message I was getting every day or two. Turns out the battery was fine. BMS was out of whack.

• Love
Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I would not go that far yet. As long as truck runs and does not leave me stranded or force me go to a dealer for service, I still recommend it. Farley admitted in an interview that they suck at software. I kinda knew what I was getting myself into. Rivian is better with updates put has other issues like phantom drain, possessed Suspension, not enough service centers, …. Any option has it’s own compromises. Ford’s is software. I am more concerned about the things they do on purpose like giving/selling out my info. Then they ask how much I trust Ford after each call.
Where we are here is different. Just because you admit you suck at software doesn't give you an out for not learning from your history and then improving and delivering a better experience.

@gern has it right - they are failing us on SW. Period.

We understand that this version of the truck is cobbled together from many different vendors. We know it isn't truly integrated and we know it will forever be a mess for those of us that own it just because it was not well integrated from the top down. Farley is right - we get that.

HOWEVER - There was a DTE SW update last fall, that failed to install many times for many people because of the SOC of the 12v battery. After many tries and or many days, most finally got that SW installed.

Then you find at least 6 months later another similar piece of SW (must install while the truck isn't running) and what happens? The same thing. Ford should have learned what went wrong from last fall and you fix that. Ford hasn't done that. They know how many times the updates are failing.

You learn (god forbid we've figured it out here on this forum and I don't even have insight to what the SW is doing or what my 12v battery SOC was) to put checks in for the 12v battery SOC. You initiate a charging session (it can do that anywhere and at any time) once that charging session ends, then you issue an internal BMS reset - then simply - you initiate a SW update.

Ford has failed on this, miserably. Summer interns likely could have fixed it for them.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
My Lightning went in this morning to get this issue looked at. Everything checked out and they have all my updates installed. They think that me charging the 12V with the battery tender confused the BMS. I never reset the BMS because of certain issues being discussed online and the service tech telling me not to. Well, they made sure the 12V was charged, then reset BMS and I'm up and running. These latest updates are giving a lot of trucks some grief, seems they want a high SOC on that 12V and the trucks are not smart enough to make it happen.

With all the billions Ford is spending on bringing EVs to market, I hope they budget some of that to the software side of things. Their software/ tech has always been pretty lacking. The auto industry as a whole has struggled with this. I know they acknowledge they need to up their game, I just hope they're finding a way to get it done. This is really inexcusable .

My 12V battery seems to check out just fine, but they say they've had to replace a couple in these trucks already. I think the batteries get run too low for too long because the trucks are so poor at managing them.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Where we are here is different. Just because you admit you suck at software doesn't give you an out for not learning from your history and then improving and delivering a better experience.

@gern has it right - they are failing us on SW. Period.

We understand that this version of the truck is cobbled together from many different vendors. We know it isn't truly integrated and we know it will forever be a mess for those of us that own it just because it was not well integrated from the top down. Farley is right - we get that.

HOWEVER - There was a DTE SW update last fall, that failed to install many times for many people because of the SOC of the 12v battery. After many tries and or many days, most finally got that SW installed.

Then you find at least 6 months later another similar piece of SW (must install while the truck isn't running) and what happens? The same thing. Ford should have learned what went wrong from last fall and you fix that. Ford hasn't done that. They know how many times the updates are failing.

You learn (god forbid we've figured it out here on this forum and I don't even have insight to what the SW is doing or what my 12v battery SOC was) to put checks in for the 12v battery SOC. You initiate a charging session (it can do that anywhere and at any time) once that charging session ends, then you issue an internal BMS reset - then simply - you initiate a SW update.

Ford has failed on this, miserably. Summer interns likely could have fixed it for them.
Per Farley's comments, it appears Ford is devoting their software resources to new subscription services, which he has mentioned often. I don't recall his commenting on improving existing already-paid-for software in existing vehicles ... or fixing the extreme noise issue with the B&O sound systems.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Dear @Ford Motor Company,
I humbly offer a system update suggestion ...
1. If update is available
2. Then check LV Battery SOC
3. If LV Battery SOC is below limit required for update
4. Then use HV Battery to charge LV Battery
5. If LV Battery SOC is at or above limit required for update
6. Then run update
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Lytning
@Ford Motor Company
I realize that even if the update software were updated, we may not be able to install the update.

Would you please provide us owners with your best guidance on installing updates?

We have a plethora of homespun trial and error methods posted on this forum. Some seem to work for some, but none work for all.

Your developers obviously understand the coded software criteria for allowing an update to proceed. I am asking that you share that information with us owners.

Thank you.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
FINALLY..... I did the BSM reset thing yesterday @GDN with two failed attempts after the fact the first manual attempt and the second one was the nightly programed updates. Had a 45 minute drive into work this morning and figured screw it I'll try another manual update when getting out of the truck. Wouldn't you guess it worked.... SMH come on this shouldn't be a thing..... @Ford Motor Company
Same thing happened to me.. I tried 2 days in row at home plugged in to FCS. No luck
Next day drove to work and initiates it myself and it succeeded
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN