Went to check one out in person today

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My wife has the rotary dial in her Expedition EL and I can't stand it. When I take it to do regular maintenance, I find myself attempting to rest my hand on a shifter that isn't there.

1692016534026.png
Like the driver’s ed instructor said “Both hands on the wheel!” 😂
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I had the rotary shifter in my Ram 1500, little awkward at first but the additional space in the center console was great!
I definitely prefer some sort of physical shifter, even if it is an anachronism due to there being no actual transmission. The shifter being large enough to feel a d having physical detents allows me to shift with zero visual input (I can shift it without look down at the shifter or instrument panel). This is especially helpful when alternating repeatedly between drive and reverse.

However, I do think they could've executed this whole thing far better. The fold down shifter to allow for use of the table is cool and all, but seems ridiculously unnecessary when the column shift exists. To me a column shifter is a much more elegant solution, it allows for the same degree of mechanical tactility and ease of shifting without looking and also simplifies the center console area, reduces cost and complexity all while still allowing for full work surface functionality. Additionally, this implementation would allow for the table to be deployed even when driving. With the current setup this is impossible.
My wife has the rotary dial in her Expedition EL and I can't stand it. When I take it to do regular maintenance, I find myself attempting to rest my hand on a shifter that isn't there.
I never have to look at the dial shifter in my Mach-E. When going between P and D, you can just give it a spin. The dial keeps going but the mode stops at the end. It also has detents so R is one click from P or 2 from D.

It was the first car I’ve had with a dial shifter and I honestly thought I’d hate it, but after about a week, it just seems natural.
This is why if everyone designed every vehicle for every driver, they wouldn't ever have a vehicle ready to go to market.

I hate it.
I love it.
I hate it.
I love it.

Additionally, this implementation would allow for the table to be deployed even when driving. With the current setup this is impossible.
That would be a major safety issue. Why would they want idiots (drivers) laying out a meal that then goes all over when the idiots (drivers) swerve. Or, more likely, having the idiots (drivers) have their work laptop running while they drive?

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
This is why if everyone designed every vehicle for every driver, they wouldn't ever have a vehicle ready to go to market.

I hate it.
I love it.
I hate it.
I love it.

That would be a major safety issue. Why would they want idiots (drivers) laying out a meal that then goes all over when the idiots (drivers) swerve. Or, more likely, having the idiots (drivers) have their work laptop running while they drive?
Right... cause eating a happy meal is the only use for the table. Couldn't possibly be used by a partner in the passenger seat to work on a laptop or complete paperwork.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Right... cause eating a happy meal is the only use for the table. Couldn't possibly be used by a partner in the passenger seat to work on a laptop or complete paperwork.
As you well know, if that surface was open during driving, many would put a laptop on it while they drove, because they lack common sense.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Not complaining about the shifter when it works. I've had it get out of sync with the shifting vs. the detents and that was annoying. Had to fold/unfold and it seemed to straighten it out.

Heavier acceleration doesn't seem to bother the range as much as the speed at which you drive. The more air you push, the shorter the range - this is the same for all EVs and the big front on the Lightning pushes quite a bit of air at highway speeds.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
As most people know, much of the Lightning's design is the ICE F-150s, including the fold down shifter. You want different? Buy a T3 in 2025.

There will always be something new on the horizon. Who knows how long it will be until anyone (including Tesla) makes an ideal ev truck. And I can’t even imagine how folks are thinking they will get a GM or Ram EV truck in the next two years. Easy to make prototypes but battery sourcing and a working production line up to capacity well that is a horse of another color. Hell look at how long it’s taken Tesla to get their CT going. I do think Ford will be much quicker with the T3. And I think it will better than the actual domestic ev trucks the other guys produce.

Ford management seems to be the only major manufacturer that really gets it. Farley is trying to get away from the multiple software vendors and bring it in house asap. They will succeed long term.

OP
OP

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
So quick update, I talked to my power company and unfortunately they don't offer much of an incentive for EV charging aside from a small credit. Looks like the cost for charging at home is ~.15 per kWh. And of course, would still need to figure out home charging.

I'm comparing to the Ford Powerboost, which I can go used since no loss of tax credit, so the price difference is ~$16k (before negotiating and tax credits). The delta becomes more like $9k after rebate. And as they say, $9k buys a lot of gas. Of course the driving experience will be significantly different as well, which is where the Lightning wins hands down.

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Not complaining about the shifter when it works. I've had it get out of sync with the shifting vs. the detents and that was annoying. Had to fold/unfold and it seemed to straighten it out.

Heavier acceleration doesn't seem to bother the range as much as the speed at which you drive. The more air you push, the shorter the range - this is the same for all EVs and the big front on the Lightning pushes quite a bit of air at highway speeds.
I think this gets pointed out seldom -- I drive a Leaf too. A lowly basic hatchback. But there is little or no damage to the battery or mileage when you floor it from a light. You can really enjoy the EV motors still today.

Might change in 10-15 years when 50% of the folks at the light take off like they were drag racing. Then we will have to start looking who we are up against!

Speed kills in an EV when it comes to mileage. Don't brake hard either. But gunning it off the line is fun and acceptable!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So quick update, I talked to my power company and unfortunately they don't offer much of an incentive for EV charging aside from a small credit. Looks like the cost for charging at home is ~.15 per kWh. And of course, would still need to figure out home charging.

I'm comparing to the Ford Powerboost, which I can go used since no loss of tax credit, so the price difference is ~$16k (before negotiating and tax credits). The delta becomes more like $9k after rebate. And as they say, $9k buys a lot of gas. Of course the driving experience will be significantly different as well, which is where the Lightning wins hands down.
Yup, if you really want to compare apples to apples, take a look at the cost of the mods required to the power boost to make it match the Lightning's acceleration!

loveurdj

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Manager
Brisk acceleration in an EV has a lower efficiency penalty compared to ICE.

I pretty much agree with all of your observations. I hate the shifter.
Yea, not too sure about the shifter, I think they could can it for buttons or paddle shifter it feels kinda cheap, to be honest, but that would be about the only thing I would comment on.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER

Make sure that you have reliable fast charging on any route that you might plan to take the truck. Taking it more than 100 miles from home becomes untenable if you can't reliably find a charging station.

The existence of a charging station is not enough. It has to work. To find out if it works, get the Plugshare app, and read the comments. An example of the one that I have relied on to get home is pasted below. Been burned badly, so I don't leave home with it any more. Kind of a game changer in terms of liking the Lightning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Went to check one out in person today IMG_0219BDA4C59E-1

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Make sure that you have reliable fast charging on any route that you might plan to take the truck. Taking it more than 100 miles from home becomes untenable if you can't reliably find a charging station.

The existence of a charging station is not enough. It has to work. To find out if it works, get the Plugshare app, and read the comments. An example of the one that I have relied on to get home is pasted below. Been burned badly, so I don't leave home with it any more. Kind of a game changer in terms of liking the Lightning.

IMG_0219BDA4C59E-1.jpeg
Thanks for the info. As part of my research I've downloaded the app and created an account on the site to play with the trip planner using it for a few of the trips I've taken.
So is the consensus anything more than 100 miles plan ahead and find charging? For example, a couple of weeks ago we did a weekend trip which was ~100 miles each way and some driving while there. Looking at our destination there were no fast chargers and only a handful of level 2 chargers. Since staying overnight I'm thinking find a hotel that has charging and charge up there so to not have to sit for long periods at a slower charger.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the info. As part of my research I've downloaded the app and created an account on the site to play with the trip planner using it for a few of the trips I've taken.
So is the consensus anything more than 100 miles plan ahead and find charging? For example, a couple of weeks ago we did a weekend trip which was ~100 miles each way and some driving while there. Looking at our destination there were no fast chargers and only a handful of level 2 chargers. Since staying overnight I'm thinking find a hotel that has charging and charge up there so to not have to sit for long periods at a slower charger.
No, that's not the consensus, that's one person's opinion.

The ER has a 131kWh battery. Therefore, on the highway, assuming only 1.9 miles per kWh, you can go about 249 miles. Therefore, unless your roundtrip is going to exceed about 225 miles, you wouldn't likely need to charge (unless it's winter).

You wouldn't want to sit at a slow charger for long periods of time, correct. But, let's say you drove 100 miles, and then you drove 40 more locally. Now, you have 100 miles to get home. That's a total of 240. You're thinking you'd like say another 40 miles of range. Assuming a 7kWh local charger, and your 1.9 miles per kWh, that's 3 hours of charging. Yup, may not want to do that. BUT, what you're missing is that you can hit a fast charger either before your arrive, or on your way home, just to get enough to get home. So, looking at the destination only is not enough.

A better tool for trip planning is ABRP (A Better Route Planner). Use their website, create a free account, and put in your roundtrip. Plan on arriving home with 20% battery (when you get experienced you can lower that). It will then tell you where to charge and for how long to make it home. If you only put in the 1 way trip, it will say, correctly, that you do not need to charge.

Yes, on any overnight trip, ideally you want a hotel for charging. But, you can't plan on those being available, so you also want a backup plan for DC fast charging.

PlugShare is not great for trip planning. It shines for looking up locations when planning AND day of trip to see if they're good to stop at or should be avoided.
Sponsored