Electrify America fast charger not connecting [Post 27 resolution]

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I've never activated before plugging in while using the EA app. I've always plugged in then swiped to activate and never had a problem.
Sponsored

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
I have done it both ways on the few (4) times I have used EA. Except for one charger I tried that was OOS (after I looked at status on EA App) the only failures I have had were self induced (pushed the stop button I could not read in the dark).
Finally got the 10 ft 220 dryer extension/transition cord I needed yesterday for the trip I am on and that Ford Mobile Charger works great!!! Consistently 15 miles per hour added range. My expectations were not that high so I am a happy camper.

OP
OP

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Update:

NOPE!

I tried logging in prior to connecting, and also tried holding the plug firmly until it locked...

Same failure mode both times using my local EA DCFC...

I guess I give the Ford Service desk a call tomorrow... hopefully just a software glitch or something.

Thanks to everyone though, for the suggestions...

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Good luck, sounds like a trip to your local dealer might be in order.

In general, charging is hit-and-miss, a lot. It really sucks, quite surprisingly. There are so many things that can go wrong, and the charging stations are incredibly unreliable.. That we even need an app like PlugShare is ridiculous and shows this isn't ready for mainstream usage... just us bleeding edge types that will tolerate some pain. I'm more shocked when it works without any glitches and gives a high speed, it seems to be 50/50 in the few road trips I've had.
This is why I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on a Lightning.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Update:

NOPE!

I tried logging in prior to connecting, and also tried holding the plug firmly until it locked...

Same failure mode both times using my local EA DCFC...

I guess I give the Ford Service desk a call tomorrow... hopefully just a software glitch or something.

Thanks to everyone though, for the suggestions...
Logging in?

Open FordPass or EA. Select charger. Activate. Plug in when it tells you to on screen.

Simply opening either app does absolutely nothing. It sounds like you're not doing it right. Also, I've NEVER had to hold the plug in any way. Plug in, it clicks. Done.

Last edited:

Sponsored

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Good luck, sounds like a trip to your local dealer might be in order.

This is why I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on a Lightning.
It really depends if you make road trips, and what is the charging infrastructure like along those road trips. For general commenting, it’s amazing. Charge at home, drive around all day. Amazing ride (although it can be a bit “squishy” at times, but hey, it’s a truck!

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Yes, this is the ONLY way to attempt to get consistent results.
  1. Plug in the CCS to your truck
  2. Hold it firmly in place
  3. Let the charging station do it's connection thing
  4. Open the EA app, find your charger, and start the charging (or use Ford pass app to do that instead)
  5. Keep holding on to the plug to keep it in place
  6. Do a little prayer that the charging station will activate, spin up, and start giving you a decent charge speed
In general, charging is hit-and-miss, a lot. It really sucks, quite surprisingly. There are so many things that can go wrong, and the charging stations are incredibly unreliable.. That we even need an app like PlugShare is ridiculous and shows this isn't ready for mainstream usage... just us bleeding edge types that will tolerate some pain. I'm more shocked when it works without any glitches and gives a high speed, it seems to be 50/50 in the few road trips I've had.
Have you considered offering a human sacrifice? Sometimes I wonder if that might help.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've never had a single issue by using my FordPassApp to first ACTIVATE a EA Station, AS I'M PULLING IN, and it is already ready to plug in when I hop out....
Even if I had 'plug-n-charge', which I probably do, I would rather 'see' the screen prompt me, which tells me that the station is working, and already starting the process of connections before I even exit my truck.

I don't use the EA app.
I don't swipe any credit card.

Ford's APP, with it's connection to your existing EA or CP or EVGo app accounts, makes it SO EASY to simply charge. FORD also then bills you, NOT the actual charging provider, and Ford provides a fantastic email that gives you the charging details, kwh, cost per/kwh, etc.

just used the App to activate both EA and EVgo on this recent trip. No issues.

Now, if the speeds and costs and reliability were as easy, that would be another conversation!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've never had a single issue by using my FordPassApp to first ACTIVATE a EA Station, AS I'M PULLING IN, and it is already ready to plug in when I hop out....
Even if I had 'plug-n-charge', which I probably do, I would rather 'see' the screen prompt me, which tells me that the station is working, and already starting the process of connections before I even exit my truck.

I don't use the EA app.
I don't swipe any credit card.

Ford's APP, with it's connection to your existing EA or CP or EVGo app accounts, makes it SO EASY to simply charge. FORD also then bills you, NOT the actual charging provider, and Ford provides a fantastic email that gives you the charging details, kwh, cost per/kwh, etc.

just used the App to activate both EA and EVgo on this recent trip. No issues.

Now, if the speeds and costs and reliability were as easy, that would be another conversation!
By using the FordPass app to activate the charger, you actually LOSE charging details that EA would provide.

A Ford receipt has the following information:

- charger address
- start and stop time
- kWh of energy used
- Session fee (but they clump tax in here)
- Tax (always zero)
- Total (same as session fee)

An EA receipt has the following additional information (based on 2022 receipt, haven't used EA since):

- charger ID (very helpful when you had an issue)
- Charger pricing
- Idle time and what you paid if you did
- End state of charge
- sales tax (helpful to figure out the actual charging cost since tax rate differs all over)

A plus with Ford is that they hit your credit card once for the total. EA keeps taking $10 nibbles, and you can't see the exact cost on your credit card, you have to find your emails or check the EA app.

A huge advantage that EA has over Ford is the ability to view, and download, your entire charging history with all the various parameters.

EA also offers a 25% discount that today you cannot get from Ford.

Lastly, if you have a credit card that provides a charging discount, like Costco Visa, EA gets you the discount. Ford, because it goes through as Ford Motor Company, does not.

If you pay $1.00 with Ford, EA, with Pass+ and the 4% discount, would be 72 cents, i.e. 28% cheaper.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
great, but I don't do any 'plans' with ANY of these companies, I don't DC Fast Charge that often to make any big 'deal' to have to 'deal' with them, and I don't need a lot of 'data'. I want to keep it simple. Ford does that.

OP
OP

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Resolution:

I got my truck back yesterday from the Ford Dealership - yes, they confirmed this is a known issue with the Lightnings - they replaced my charge port actuator, and now I can DC fast charge at my local EA charger without a problem.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Rich
Sponsored