• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate opened while in the garage - significant scratch followed

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Well, I had a nightmare or two about this happening. We have a short garage that fits our truck. The other day, I opened it to the sound of friction. The garage door hinge scratched the tailgate and gouged it down to the steel.

Now, I recall shutting the tailgate earlier in the day and not being super confident that it shut based on the sound I heard. The power tailgate has not given me a ton of confidence either opening or closing...

I guess my question is this: is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? It is possible that I inadvertently double-pressed the tailgate open button on my keyfob, but it's unlikely.

is there anything I can put on my garage door to prevent this? I'm kind of at a loss, but now I have some mild PTSD caused by opening my garage door.

Thanks for input....

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate opened while in the garage - significant scratch followed IMG_20230922_080158_759
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I don’t have answer to the how to prevent. But I think you can make a change on the big screen to make the gate manual. That might help, because you will have to be standing at it when it opens and when you close it.

I am also a little frustrated with the performance of the automatic tailgate function. It has raised itself but failed to latch several times. Usually a do over will get it, but not always.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Well, I had a nightmare or two about this happening. We have a short garage that fits our truck. The other day, I opened it to the sound of friction. The garage door hinge scratched the tailgate and gouged it down to the steel.

Now, I recall shutting the tailgate earlier in the day and not being super confident that it shut based on the sound I heard. The power tailgate has not given me a ton of confidence either opening or closing...

I guess my question is this: is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? It is possible that I inadvertently double-pressed the tailgate open button on my keyfob, but it's unlikely.

is there anything I can put on my garage door to prevent this? I'm kind of at a loss, but now I have some mild PTSD caused by opening my garage door.

Thanks for input....

IMG_20230922_080158_759.jpg
Well it could just be due to the angle and lighting of the picture, but that only looks to be down to the color layer or primer at worst. And the entire body of the truck is aluminum so no steel to worry about! But that still sucks, and I'm really sorry to hear that happened 😕

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
I'm thinking of adding the pool noodles to my garage wall when my truck is delivered. Now if someone accidentally opens the tailgate using the keyfob, will the tailgate hit the pool noodle and then automatically reverse direction and close?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I'm thinking of adding the pool noodles to my garage wall when my truck is delivered. Now if someone accidentally opens the tailgate using the keyfob, will the tailgate hit the pool noodle and then automatically reverse direction and close?
Well mine opened and remained leaned up against the garage door. When I opened, the garage scratched the shit out of the truck. So no, it doesn't automatically close.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Same garage door hinge scar happened on mine when somoene lowered the door and the truck was not in far enough. I feel your pain.

smaster553

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 CA Route 1 Space White, F150 Lightning

Thanks for input....

I put 1" thick foam sheet on the inside of the garage doors. Works like a charm, hides all bolts and metal stuff

Sponsored

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
reverse the use of a tailgate pad
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate opened while in the garage - significant scratch followed image

Thanks for input....

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Well mine opened and remained leaned up against the garage door. When I opened, the garage scratched the shit out of the truck. So no, it doesn't automatically close.
That’s correct. If it hits an obstruction while closing, it will reverse to the full open position, but not the other way around.

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s correct. If it hits an obstruction while closing, it will reverse to the full open position, but not the other way around.
Maybe it's just me, but don't you think there's more likely to be an obstruction when opening rather than closing a tailgate?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Maybe it's just me, but don't you think there's more likely to be an obstruction when opening rather than closing a tailgate?
No. Virtually everything that power-closes acts this way. The worry is that there could be something (even a small child) in between the moving and stationary surfaces.

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No. Virtually everything that power-closes acts this way. The worry is that there could be something (even a small child) in between the moving and stationary surfaces.
That makes sense. Wish it worked both ways I guess.
Sponsored