Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I don't disagree, but the v2 SC'ers are not included in what we can use if I recall correctly. Only v3.
Yup. My bad. I meand V3.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
And the new V4's.
There are about 15,000 of them. So will more than double the number of fast chargers available.
Where are you seeing 15,000 V4 chargers? They only started installing them in October.

Reactions: GDN

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Where are you seeing 15,000 V4 chargers? They only started installing them in October.
15,000 total superchargers that will be enabled for non-tesla charging in 2024 is the number I have heard. Assume most of those are V3.

But cannot imagine they would forego the government incentives on the new V4s too.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
When I use EA all I use is P&P.. yup I pay a premium but I watch all the others trying to get the EA charger working, swiping, phone up against the scanner, calling support all the while I'm happily charging... yes I would love the EA discount that I pay for monthly for but the hassle probably isn't worth it... I think the Ford programmers have learned a lot and with the Tesla programmers, working together, they'll get it working pretty quick.
Activating with App or RFID works has worked for me. The bigger problem with EA is charger availability and maintenance. It’s totally unacceptable after 2 years since launch, that the discount pricing isn’t working with P&C. On top of the fact that it sucks charging at EA, you have to pay more for it. I have faith in Tesla engineers, it’s whether they can or want to work with Ford engineers. Why does Tesla want to make it even easier to charge on their network? They gotta give some exclusivity to their own users.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Not sure why you got so worked up here...as a Tesla shareholder since 2016 I follow the company and the risks it has taken and the paths it had to go down to capture the market share, cash flow, and revenue to be successful.
Not worked up, just dispelling Tesla FUD. Sell the stock if your investment thesis has changed. If you really think the company is on a downward trend, that would be a smart move. Automotive legacy’s can’t compete with Tesla at price points that are required to move BEVs now. My Ford dealer has 29 Mach E’s ready for sale that will lose their tax credit in 2024. Why aren’t they selling them now?

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date IMG_6791

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Telsa is lacking in fit and finish and frankly, in my humble opinion, their truck is plain ugly. The problem with an 80K truck is, unless you're an "ethusiast" like the folks on the forum, you aren't going to pay more to get all headaches and hassles of owning something that requires the amount of "overhead" that a BEV has.

ICE TRUCK
Go to your mechanic or any number of ones that can fix it
Stop for gas and get back on the road
Why would call an electrician to make using my transportation easy??
If it's cold, I just turn up the heat
Etc etc.

Yes, there are longer term reasons owning a BEV is good, environmental, PERHAPS a lower cost to maintain and maybe cheaper per mile but that's not important enough for a lot folks.

Telsa made BEV's cool but is that enough to sustain a broader market given the "hassles" of owning one??
I won’t debate the fit and finish. Upcoming refreshes of 3/Y (Highland + Jupiter) will surprise many when they are available here. CT seems to be well received in that area though. Buyers of Tesla are looking for the best technology available today. If Tesla wanted to make a truck that appealed to the masses, the CT design would be way down on the list. Unless you have owned a Tesla or any BEV, it’s hard to understand the benefits. In areas where gas is cheap and the charging infrastructure is poor, ICE is probably the better solution now. Buy the vehicle that’s best for your use case and budget. BEV is the future and change doesn’t come easy for some.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
15,000 total superchargers that will be enabled for non-tesla charging in 2024 is the number I have heard. Assume most of those are V3.

But cannot imagine they would forego the government incentives on the new V4s too.
Agreements / Public Statements-

- 15,000 Tesla Superchargers will be enabled for Ford charging in Spring 2024.

- 3,500 SuperChargers will be enabled for CCS vehicles by end of 2024.

- Tesla will double the SuperCharger network from Feb 2023 to end of 2024.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Not worked up, just dispelling Tesla FUD. Sell the stock if your investment thesis has changed. If you really think the company is on a downward trend, that would be a smart move. Automotive legacy’s can’t compete with Tesla at price points that are required to move BEVs now. My Ford dealer has 29 Mach E’s ready for sale that will lose their tax credit in 2024. Why aren’t they selling them now?

IMG_6791.jpeg
When I was getting service at the dealer I bought my truck at, they had a Mach-E listed for almost 100k. It was not an upper-end one. I don't think dealers care about holding inventory until the heat death of the universe at this point. It isn't hurting them so they allow the cars to sit unsold.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Its not even all that heavy or expensive.
It only needs to be 5 or 6 ft longer.
A 6 ft copper cable (x2) that can handle 375 amps (150kW / 400v) would be a minimum of size 250 DLO. For safety margin and overkill, jump up two sizes to 313 DLO.
Even at retail in small qty. cut by the foot you could buy the cable for $13.23/ft for a cable cost of $160. It would weigh 15lbs.
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/313-diesel-locomotive-cable-2kv
Our Lightnings need 500A for the best charging speeds possible (the battery pack voltage is low-mid 300v, so it requires more current, as in kW = V x A). 150kW charging on a Lightning isn’t even possible on a “150kW” charger, because current is limited to 350A; you might see 120-130kW on the Lightning from a 150kW charger, due to only 350A. The EA 350kW “Hyperfast” chargers have 500A output capability, so when you see someone posting that they saw 168kW charge power, they had to have been pulling 500A from the charger (336V x 500A = 168kW).

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Our Lightnings need 500A for the best charging speeds possible (the battery pack voltage is low-mid 300v, so it requires more current, as in kW = V x A). 150kW charging on a Lightning isn’t even possible on a “150kW” charger, because current is limited to 350A; you might see 120-130kW on the Lightning from a 150kW charger, due to only 350A. The EA 350kW “Hyperfast” chargers have 500A output capability, so when you see someone posting that they saw 168kW charge power, they had to have been pulling 500A from the charger (336V x 500A = 168kW).
OK, so build it for 500A. Still possible/feasible/same wire as inside the truck...

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
When I was getting service at the dealer I bought my truck at, they had a Mach-E listed for almost 100k. It was not an upper-end one. I don't think dealers care about holding inventory until the heat death of the universe at this point. It isn't hurting them so they allow the cars to sit unsold.
How many dealers own their inventory? I have to assume it does cost them. It’s likely they are hoping for amendments to the IRA rules and QE in 2024.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Telsa is lacking in fit and finish and frankly, in my humble opinion, their truck is plain ugly. The problem with an 80K truck is, unless you're an "ethusiast" like the folks on the forum, you aren't going to pay more to get all headaches and hassles of owning something that requires the amount of "overhead" that a BEV has.

ICE TRUCK
Go to your mechanic or any number of ones that can fix it
Stop for gas and get back on the road
Why would call an electrician to make using my transportation easy??
If it's cold, I just turn up the heat
Etc etc.

Yes, there are longer term reasons owning a BEV is good, environmental, PERHAPS a lower cost to maintain and maybe cheaper per mile but that's not important enough for a lot folks.

Telsa made BEV's cool but is that enough to sustain a broader market given the "hassles" of owning one??
It’s not the cool. The hassle is much higher if you are not in a Tesla. We just did our first trip from San Antonio to Tulsa in the Lightning vs the 2018 M3P.
1. Slower charging for a larger batter. The Tesla maxes at 250kw, the Lightning at 150kw (on EA).
2. The Tesla locations are better. Our Tesla stop in Waco where there is a coffee & bakery shop with plenty of chargers and ingress/egress space was replaced with a Walmart parking lot with 90 degree spaces on a very busy isle with only 5 chargers and all were occupied. It was difficult to get the truck in the spot.
3. In Oklahoma Francis is one of the required stops and we had a charger that maxed at 40kw when the battery was at 5%.
4. 50c/kwh? Tesla superchargers are at 35c/kwh. Is there a gas station with a 50% mark up vs another brand?
5. I was hoping the range of the Lightning would be greater than a 5 year old Tesla, but the 2 stop Tesla was replaced with a 3 stop Ford.

I was hoping to be able to tow our travel trailer. This experience (I know many have had worse) really deflated it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
In Oklahoma Francis is one of the required stops and we had a charger that maxed at 40kw when the battery was at 5%.
That is a symptom of a bad temp sensor in the cooled cable.

Coming from Tesla, you're probably not used to having bad charging experiences. But if you have a charge rate around 39kW on a low battery, switch to a different charger, or other charging handle if the unit has 2.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
That is a symptom of a bad temp sensor in the cooled cable.

Coming from Tesla, you're probably not used to having bad charging experiences. But if you have a charge rate around 39kW on a low battery, switch to a different charger, or other charging handle if the unit has 2.
Thank you for the info! There was only one other charger and I asked the MachE driver what her max rate was and she said 40 ish. She said the location was always slow.
Sponsored