• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Estimated Mileage decreased after Software Update

Jreed

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning ER Lariat Avalanche
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a Lariat with the extended range battery and when I charge to 100% I would get, as expected, an estimated range of 320 miles. But just this week I charged to 100% and my estimated range is only 218 miles. The only thing that has changed is the truck received a software update to 6.4.0 last week. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I’m going to call Ford next but I thought I would give the experienced Lightning owners on this forum a chance to respond. I would appreciate any help.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
It’s an estimated remaining range. It’s not an indicator of battery health or capacity.

If it were me I would reset the range calculation manually in the menu and keep driving. I mostly ignore range and use SoC like a gas gauge.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
We're seeing seasonally adjusted ranges lately, but for a truck located in SOCAL I would not expect to see such lower estimates, at the moment my southern New England weather is projecting 229 miles with a SOC of 86%, imputed to 100% that would be only 266 miles of an ideal 320 miles.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
It’s an estimated remaining range. It’s not an indicator of battery health or capacity.

If it were me I would reset the range calculation manually in the menu and keep driving. I mostly ignore range and use SoC like a gas gauge.
This. The GOM is always an issue for the Ford. they try to make it based on driving habits, but I see it mainly going off of the last long drive vs a history of performance.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Typically when this drastic of a range change occurs, folks have inadvertently turned on trailer mode or forgot to turn it off after towing. Check your drive mode.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Or they drove at 80mph recently...

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Have read this dozens (hundreds?) of times throughout this forum regarding the GOM. ICE cars have range indicators and they are also based on driving history but are extremely accurate. I don't see why the GOM shouldn't be as well. If the miles/kwhr is more accurate, shouldn't the GOM use it too?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Have read this dozens (hundreds?) of times throughout this forum regarding the GOM. ICE cars have range indicators and they are also based on driving history but are extremely accurate. I don't see why the GOM shouldn't be as well. If the miles/kwhr is more accurate, shouldn't the GOM use it too?
I have never seen a "Distance to Empty" on an ICE car be any more accurate than the GOM in the Lightning and MachE. The GOM is accurate to how it assumes you will drive. The problem is Ford isn't very good at predicting how most of us drive.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have never seen a "Distance to Empty" on an ICE car be any more accurate than the GOM in the Lightning and MachE. The GOM is accurate to how it assumes you will drive. The problem is Ford isn't very good at predicting how most of us drive.
People think they’re accurate because they approach zero as you get close to E. Buy nobody pays any attention to the fact that it showed 412 miles when they filled up and it now shows 25 after driving 300 miles. My 17 F150 was always about 100 miles high after fillup…..Sure, I can go 750 miles on this tank!

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
This isn't my first Ford but for the past 14 I've had Chevy's (ICE, of course) and their miles estimate was accurate within +/- 5%. Sounds like Ford isn't. but I'm following everyone's advise, I look at the miles/kwr.

Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
People think they’re accurate because they approach zero as you get close to E. Buy nobody pays any attention to the fact that it showed 412 miles when they filled up and it now shows 25 after driving 300 miles. My 17 F150 was always about 100 miles high after fillup…..Sure, I can go 750 miles on this tank!
My dad texts me every time he fills up his '23 ICE F-150 to brag on how far he thinks can go. Has he ever actually driven 900 miles? Nope, I don't think so.

Ford F-150 Lightning Estimated Mileage decreased after Software Update IMG_6477-preview

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
My dad texts me every time he fills up his '23 ICE F-150 to brag on how far he thinks can go. Has he ever actually driven 900 miles? Nope, I don't think so.

IMG_6477-preview.jpg
FR though, what is he doing to get an average of 23 MPG on it? I never saw more than 18 on my '06 F150

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
it appears to be a hybrid and it is in ECO mode.
It's not a hybrid. It's the 3.5L Ecoboost.

FR though, what is he doing to get an average of 23 MPG on it? I never saw more than 18 on my '06 F150
He's an old man with nowhere to be so he never drives past 60mph and always in eco mode. He actually traded in '17 for the '23. The '17 had the 2.7L Ecoboost so he saw even better numbers:

Ford F-150 Lightning Estimated Mileage decreased after Software Update IMG_2848

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I have a Lariat with the extended range battery and when I charge to 100% I would get, as expected, an estimated range of 320 miles. But just this week I charged to 100% and my estimated range is only 218 miles. The only thing that has changed is the truck received a software update to 6.4.0 last week. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I’m going to call Ford next but I thought I would give the experienced Lightning owners on this forum a chance to respond. I would appreciate any help.
You will see your most accurate range if you set a destination in the Ford Navigation app. This lets the GOM know what type of driving you will be doing. I find it to be pretty accurate. It's useless otherwise and the only meaningful number is SOC.
Sponsored