• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone Mount by Shifter?

chief holley

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I have the phone mount that sits in front of the shifter. There is no problem with the shifter going down at all, but you cannot put the foldable arm rest out fully.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Every time I stick my glasses case in that hole, it flops around and then impedes me moving the shifter. I would be careful about putting anything in there.

Sponsored

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
Personally I think the shifter design is dumb. Why design a giant beefy shift mechanism, then a second mechanism to make the first mechanism fold down flat when it could all be accomplished by a couple of buttons or a small knob? Do we really feel any manlier by "throwing" it into gear? I'd rather get another place to put my glasses.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Personally I think the shifter design is dumb. Why design a giant beefy shift mechanism, then a second mechanism to make the first mechanism fold down flat when it could all be accomplished by a couple of buttons or a small knob? Do we really feel any manlier by "throwing" it into gear? I'd rather get another place to put my glasses.
I fully realize the drawbacks of the shifter, but as someone who is a first time EV driver I appreciate the shifter. It feels more natural to me than a knob or buttons, which I never cared for in any ICE variant either. I tend to rest my hand on it more than 50% of the time and it's easy to shift without having to actually look at it. I'm enjoying it while it's still here, I suspect its days are numbered.

benjmsher10

First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Real estate owner operator
one time i placed my phone in that location. and when i pressed to recess the shifter, the phone wedged the shifter in place and would not retract. i seriously had to bend my phone to get it out of there in order to raise the shifter. and i'm sweating cuz i'm thinking my phone is stuck, and i can't drive. this is stupid design by Ford. that's what their design wonks are for: to test every possible way humanity will do stuff.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
As someone who has used a knob…please no.

A column shifter though…very disappointed I don’t have one.

Sponsored

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2023 F150 Lightning XLT -Ordered 10/3/23
Not my design, but I was looking at this one.. there’s guy on FB who prints and sells them for $30. I Think newer Androids with with MagSafe.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5809044

I’m also thinking something like this, it just needs a cut through the back and base so that it would work while plugged in.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1556723941/improved-phone-holder-for-2021-ford

And as someone who had an MME for 2 years, no way to a dial. I missed the shifter and having somewhere to put my hand. I’d have been ok with a column shifter, but definitely no more dials.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This has been in F-150s for many years. The fold-down was introduced in 2020 or so. The Lightning was designed to mimic the gas truck for easy adoption to EVs.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
That’s where I park mine.
Yup, that's the spot for my phone, too. Engineering a solution to put it in that spot that the shifter folds down to just seems like an overly complicated solution.
Sponsored