• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is your PAAK reliable?

Is your PAAK reliable?

• Yes - I rely on it daily and don't carry a fob

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • Yes - I rely on it daily but carry my fob as a backup

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Yes - reliable, but it has failed once or twice and I used the door code or app or fob as a backup

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • No - I use it, but often have to resort to the door code, app or fob as a backup

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • No - I tried using it and it has left me stranded I don't trust it or use it anymore

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • My opinion doesn't count as my truck doesn't have PAAK

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • My truck doesn't have PAAK but I would add it if I could

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I had issues earlier this year with the modem and while i was having those problems I went back to the key. For the past two months im back to PAAK only (house is all keyless) but i do carry my FOB when leaving overnight for work. With the updates set for 10PM im more worried about an update messing it up, same goes for a phone update.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
My PRO did not come with PAAK:

I did, though, participate in the survey, because I actually use my own 'PAAK' method...

I keep my keyfob in the centerconsole, always.
I simply lock or unlock the truck from my FordPass App.

I will admit, though, that while this works 99.9999% of the time, no matter 'where' I happen to be, I DO carry the skeleton 'emergency' key from the keyfob in a magnetic key holder below the driver side frame of the truck. In 26,000 miles, since last August, I've had to use it once. And, that was in a metro area, in a large box store shopping center parking lot. Don't know the reason why.

I also don't think that I would necessarily even 'want' the PAAK, if I had to pay separately for it, since my own version works. I would not even want the driver-door 'securicode' version. It's not needed.

by the way, my wife has my FordPass App on her phone, too, so she has been able to unlock the truck when I have not yet arrived back myself... so, having the app on two phones is nice, and she could even be a second 'emergency' option to open the truck in the event my own phone was disabled, etc. I can't imagine that situation, but, who knows.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have only set it up after this last update.

So far so good.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I have PAAK. Don't trust it so I don't use it.
Dang - you're the last guy I expected to say that. Maybe earn its trust?

I do know that so far, maybe I'm just lucky, but I put my trust in it day 1 (knock on wood).

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Dang - you're the last guy I expected to say that. Maybe earn its trust?

I do know that so far, maybe I'm just lucky, but I put my trust in it day 1 (knock on wood).
Ford can't get their app to work, contract with a vendor to make a quality tailgate light bar, keeps breaking basic functions with their OTA's, and I'm supposed to gamble with not being stranded by using PAAK?

Trust me. I'm a tech guy. I like stuff like this. And it pains me not to use it. But I can't trust it until Ford earns the trust. And they haven't.

Sponsored

NCA Lightning

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
[Using pass code]The only pass code failure I've read about is someone who could not remember their pass code, or the SecuriCode to get in the truck. I'm curious how it has failed in other ways.
I once had PAAK fail back in early March. I had to use the door code to get in, but then the passcode wouldn't start the truck (I forget the error I got at the time). I ended up spending two hours on the phone with Ford, and they were eventually able to get the truck started, so I was only stranded for a few hours. I have continued to use PAAK exclusively since I like being keyless, and it has worked 100% of the time since March.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
[Using pass code]The only pass code failure I've read about is someone who could not remember their pass code, or the SecuriCode to get in the truck. I'm curious how it has failed in other ways.
A handful have been unable to get the prompt to come up, so they cannot enter the passcode. And I've read several cases of the passcode being gone. And the door code they programmed erased.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I find PaaK hard to use and unreliable when popping the frunk...I always put my lunch in the frunk when exiting the campus cafeteria.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
PaaK has worked well for me. When my phone has been out of battery or I got locked out of my FordPass account, the password-to-start has worked flawlessly. One time the password didn't come up and I think I just hit the buttons to reset ford sync, after which it showed.

Annoyingly it often won't work on the passenger side, especially if it hasn't been plugged in all night, but even when the main battery is at more than 70% still. I suspect I have (or we all have) a weak 12v battery since I often get the "Electrical system drain" message. I do have a dashcam, but it's a pretty standard one. When that happens, I have to unlock via FordPass app, or walk around to the driver side.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
My PaaK works great but I keep my fob with me anyway just in case I need the physical key for spare tire lock and other contingencies. ...plus, I don't have full trust in PaaK, just yet. 🤫

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
I keep my keyfob in the centerconsole, always.
I simply lock or unlock the truck from my FordPass App
I thought about doing this as well but I don’t have enough faith in my ability to always lock the truck nor the consistency of my Siri shortcut to do the same. Would happily pay for PaaK on my pro!

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I wish Ford would adopt NFC cards like Tesla, Rivian and others are doing. No need to have a fob and then if PAAK fails or you need to hand a key to someone you pull out the credit card key from your wallet.

I've found PAAK to be reliable. While it's not perfect, it's more reliable on my Lightning than it was on my 2020 Model Y for the first few months we had that car. It was pretty flakey in the beginning, but Tesla ironed it out quickly.

With PAAK on the Lightning I find that I often need to put my hand through a door handle, even if the truck is unlocked, to wake it up so that I can unplug the charge cord or pop the frunk.

Jason_Jordan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Flooring Contractor
I’ve had my 2023 Lariat for a year and have never carried a key and never had a problem. When my phone battery died once, I used the passcode to start my truck and in a few minutes my phone was charging again in my truck.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
If you don't carry a fob make sure you hide the key blade somewhere, so you can access your spare tire if you need it.

I am a combo of both the first answer and third. I don't carry a fob but I have had one time where the truck refused to start even with reboots of both my phone and the screen. Used the password and went on my way.
Sponsored