• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford EV Software and Customer Service Woes

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
We've had forum members who did actually pay their dealer service departments to update everything.
The challenge with this approach is they are not updating “everything”. They are updating what their system is showing that is available.

Software updates are a tricky little bugger and one I appreciate Fords offical approach as you get corresponding updates at the same time.

Can you imagine the issues if something in the module changes and does not report to another required part as expected and throws system faults?

While I can appreciate and desire a more timely update set, even my dealer said they are cautious about updating something the system is not calling for yet.

For me, I wish ford would publish the updates and allow us to apply them via flash drive. That way we can “pull” the update, but still follow the approved sequence.
Sponsored

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
You do realize that even Apple uses a delayed software deployment system? They do not have the server bandwidth to deploy a major software release to every iPhone at a single instant.

That believe and desire is just naive and unnecessary personal expectations that no manufacturer will ever satisfy.

It is up to the manufacturer to set the expectations, and Ford has made it very clear how their software is deployed, in a safe and metered approach.

So no I don’t give them any slack, but as my day job is managing a program that delivers customer interactions, I understand the difference between meeting company set expectations and customers that want instant gratification and things not promised to them. 🤷‍♂️
I love my Lightning - but with Apple, I can request and get software IOS Updates. With Ford, not so much. The lack of transparency on software updates is becoming enough for me never to be a loyal Ford owner. I have had zero issues in the five months I have owned my truck - but only two minor software updates and I cannot request missing updates and Ford is completely
opaque about them. I think this is unfortunately contributing to Ford's slowing sales of our Trucks. This is not most respectfully "instant gratification" after fix months - five weeks maybe.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I have had zero issues in the five months I have owned my truck -
So if you have no problems then what’s the problem? Updates happen when Ford wants them to, not when you want them. If you wanted software you should have waited for the Cyberturd.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
By releasing updates that entice many of the owner population to expect that new feature to arrive in a reasonable period of time requires that Ford meet this basic level of performance.

ie. SOC on the battery graph, many want it, several still don't have it.

We early adopters are more demanding than the general population of other vehicles ICE included.

Sponsored

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Question #1- is there a single place to find the running list of OTA updates to know that I am up to date?

Question #2- Is there a place that I can find which OTA updates have been downloaded and installed on my vehicle? Can't seem to find that in the updates section on the vehicle, or in my Ford Pass App or on the website for my vehicle.

On the Ford App on an Android phone, I used to receive messages in my message center on the Ford App when the software was updated on my Lightning. I have not received such a message since Nov. 2, 2023, but I know from my interface in the truck that I have received multiple newer updates. What's stranger is that when I select "what's in the update", I get a message that the app is unable to retrieve details on the update. EDIT, well, after letting the phone sit idle for 10 minutes or so, it tells me this is the Nov. 2, 2023 update was the Power Up 6.1.0 update.

I just got back from a 10 day vacation, and I see that I should install the "Driver Monitoring System" update, which I will do after I install the other update that I was told had to be installed while the truck is idle for 50 minutes-- I believe that this is the Driver Assistance update? No numbers were provided on the updates, but If figured I should install the latest updates, and I am doing that one next.

Also, logged on to my Ford Account on the internet, and could not find messages or list of updates.

Am I doing something wrong, or do other people have the same problem? If so, this could use some fixing. I'm not normally inclined to look for updates when I jump in the truck and drive. I'm old school, I like to get in my vehicle, start it, drive and park. But every now and then after reading posts here on the forum, I do go out to the garage to see what is going on with updates and features. This forum is great for pointing out and addressing issues that my dealer seems to be unable to address.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
By releasing updates that entice many of the owner population to expect that new feature to arrive in a reasonable period of time requires that Ford meet this basic level of performance.

We early adopters are more demanding than the general population of other vehicles ICE included.
Interesting thread. As usual on "social" (should be antisocial) media, there is a clear divide and some bickering over things. Pick your passion or topic: favorite sports team, exercise, diet, or heavens forbid, politics, and it's the same everywhere. You're wrong, and I'm right, and on and on.

A rule of thumb from observation is that social media seems to be 80 plus percent people mad/angry at something and complaining, and the rest are neutral or happy. Happy people generally don't post their happy thoughts because they are too busy being happy or afraid of being shouted down for posting about being happy.

Seeing others getting the new updates first can definitely be frustrating, especially when there is a very long delay from when you see someone else got it, and weeks later, you don't have the update.

That said, I lodged a couple of "happy questions" above. I'm generally savvy when it comes to handling software and app updates, but I will say that Ford's processes are a little frustrating. Maybe I should spend reading threads on this board to learn what updates I do not have, and ignorance will be bliss.

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So if you have no problems then what’s the problem? Updates happen when Ford wants them to, not when you want them. If you wanted software you should have waited for the Cyberturd.
Respectfully, I would never buy a cybertruck, too expensive and too low to the ground. I DID NOT reserve one and I find your comment somewhat offensive. This is a legitimate issue. I waited over two years for this truck. Update status and communications should be transparent. Truck owners do not even know if they missed an update. I hope Ford rights this issue before they lose more customers.

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I am glad for you and the early adopters. Your information is most helpful. But I wish Ford would let others into the betas update their truck software for 23 owners

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Question #1- is there a single place to find the running list of OTA updates to know that I am up to date?

Question #2- Is there a place that I can find which OTA updates have been downloaded and installed on my vehicle? Can't seem to find that in the updates section on the vehicle, or in my Ford Pass App or on the website for my vehicle.
Ford does not provide a manifest of processed updates. (except to FDRS/IDS operators)

We have the Sync screen showing us what was last posted or if a new update is pending to be download/installed/failed/posted. Fordpass only shows what the last successful update was, nothing prior [Vehicle >Features & Settings > Software Updates > Recent Changes {date} > details]

I'd love such a service, it's possible, they have all the updates data our trucks have been offered and processed, be it successfully or failed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I hope Ford rights this issue before they lose more customers.
What issue? That you don’t like Fords planned software rollout? That it doesn’t meet your own personal expectations rather than the manufacturer’s?

Seems like you need to just love the truck and worry about way way more important things in life like what to do or where to go now that the sun is shining and the temperatures are changing.

Life is so much more enjoyable when you stop worrying about very insignificant and non important 💩 like a software update on a truck that works great for you.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I am glad for you and the early adopters. Your information is most helpful. But I wish Ford would let others into the betas update their truck software for 23 owners
I'm not an EAP early adopter, just a general population owner who is by personal make up willing to take gambles on new ways, we are in the same boat, Ford's randomosity differentiates our experiences, FORD needs to harmonize or provide TOOLS to make the more aggressive early adopters satisfied.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford does not provide a manifest of processed updates.

We have the Sync screen showing us what was last posted or if a new update is pending to be download/installed/failed/posted. Fordpass only shows what the last successful update was, nothing prior [Vehicle >Features & Settings > Software Updates > Recent Changes {date} > details]

I'd love such a service, it's possible, they have all the updates data our trucks have been offered and processed, be it successfully or failed.
I guess what "we" could do is go to the OTA forum and pin a list of running updates. "We" could charge for that valuable information and make a fortune. Then "we" could start a software company that does and tracks OTA updates for Ford, and sell it to them and get rich! ;)

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What issue? That you don’t like Fords planned software rollout? That it doesn’t meet your own personal expectations rather than the manufacturer’s?

Seems like you need to just love the truck and worry about way way more important things in life like what to do or where to go now that the sun is shining and the temperatures are changing.

Life is so much more enjoyable when you stop worrying about very insignificant and non important 💩 like a software update on a truck that works great for you.
I'm somewhere in the middle on this friendly debate. He has a fair point about the way Ford's rollout of updates is haphazard/shoddy. On the other hand, I'm more in your camp in that ignorance is bliss. It's like many other things that happen from people being on social media too long. As an example, we traveled to Spain 10 days ago. A family member texted me on the day we were traveling and wondering if we were worried about the bombing in Russia. While I appreciated the concern, I looked at my phone with a WTF feeling and would have preferred to not have known. Even if I had been aware, I was not going to cancel my trip unless there was a true travel alert/warning for Spain.

Kind of reminds me of the lyrics of the song No Compassion by the Talking Heads:

n a world
Where people have problems
In this world
Where decisions are a way of life
Other people's problems
They overwhelm my mind

They say compassion is a virtue
But I don't have the time

So many people have their problems
I'm not interested in their problems
I guess I've experienced some problems
But now I've made some decisions