First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Maybe a year ago there was a total failure of the front motor, where the internals came apart that resulted in a visible hole in the case. This is the only other posting I recall of an internal failure to a motor. I hope your dealer can come thru as they said.
The hole in the motor was mine, I just got my truck back after 6 weeks in the dealership to replace a charging module, it would only charge on level 3.
Sponsored

OP
OP

go8soccer

First Name
gerrit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford f150 lightning lariat
So, quick and uneventful update:
thankfully I didn’t trade in my ICE vehicle as a part of my Lightning purchase, so I was never down and out of a vehicle.. but yesterday i did stop by the dealership because i missed my truck and wanted to lay eyes on it. It was still up on the lift (i assume they’ll keep it there until it’s fixed, simply b/c they had such a heck of a time getting it out of Park).

They ended up hooking me up with an ICE F150, which was a nice gesture. Maybe it’ll be extra incentive for them to get it fixed ASAP? Idk, we’ll see.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
My truck is at the dealer for a dead heater, which required them to drop the battery. I bought it about 9 weeks ago. I'm not that upset, except I have to drive my 2003 VW camper van which feels like the Flintstones car after driving the Lightning.
:LOL:
Sorry to hear but I can't resist "Yabba Dabba Do!"

OP
OP

go8soccer

First Name
gerrit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Okay guys..

Pretty substantial update today..
I got a call from the service manager at my dealership, and he's taking over this case, due to the low mileage and severity of my issue. They heard back from the regional rep, and turns out they are able to get just the broken part (parking brake), they're going to get that ordered Monday, so it should get in Tuesday or Wednesday... They'll pull the motor and get the part replaced... Hoping I get it back by next weekend or early the following week.. if they find anything else, they'll just replace the whole unit at that point.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Okay guys..

I got a call from the service manager at my dealership, and he's taking over this case, due to the low mileage and severity of my issue. They heard back from the regional rep, and turns out they are able to get just the broken part (parking brake), they're going to get that ordered Monday, so it should get in Tuesday or Wednesday... They'll pull the motor and get the part replaced... Hoping I get it back by next weekend or early the following week.. if they find anything else, they'll just replace the whole unit at that point.
This is a good video overall, but this book mark takes you right to the parking pawl portion.

Sponsored
OP
OP

go8soccer

First Name
gerrit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is a good video overall, but this book mark takes you right to the parking pawl portion.

Watched this last week... Couldn't think of the name of the part... But yes, it is the pawl that they will be replacing.
Thanks!!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Watched this last week... Couldn't think of the name of the part... But yes, it is the pawl that they will be replacing.
Thanks!!
It seems hard that that pawl could have problems or be damaged and not have caused other damage, but hoping it is that simple. I didn't know Ford was ready to have shops start breaking these motors down on site.

OP
OP

go8soccer

First Name
gerrit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It seems hard that that pawl could have problems or be damaged and not have caused other damage, but hoping it is that simple. I didn't know Ford was ready to have shops start breaking these motors down on site.
I agree with ya here... Which is why I asked him to send me pictures of the defective part :)... And yes, I'll share when it's made available.

I couldn't speak more highly of this dealership at this point.. service started out as "good", and has only gotten better.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
and turns out they are able to get just the broken part (parking brake), they're going to get that ordered Monday, so it should get in Tuesday or Wednesday...
They should have it out and inspected for damage now before ordering and waiting on the part. Sounds like they may just be unrealistically hoping for a cheaper repair that is just going to cost your time. First they'll order and wait on this part then they'll figure out they need to order and wait on the other part...

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I couldn't speak more highly of this dealership at this point.. service started out as "good", and has only gotten better.
Name them, they've earned it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

go8soccer

First Name
gerrit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They should have it out and inspected for damage now before ordering and waiting on the part. Sounds like they may just be unrealistically hoping for a cheaper repair that is just going to cost your time. First they'll order and wait on this part then they'll figure out they need to order and wait on the other part...
I actually asked about that as well... And they were instructed (by Ford) to wait until the part comes in before opening the engine.. sounded to me like they were treating it like a crime scene... Minimize foot traffic in the area of the evidence type of deal.

lipnorth

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford 150 Lightning Lariat
That sucks! But glad it sounds like your dealer is fixing without complaint, even if it takes a while. I hope they gave you a loaner vehicle.

A motor failure is my worst fear on this truck second only to a battery failure.

Nftypjs

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f-150 lightning pro
Okay guys..

I'd be worried that the accidental pawl activation caused major scarring on the pawl collar on the shaft, meaning the brake is compromised. they have to fit snugly

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I'd be worried that the accidental pawl activation caused major scarring on the pawl collar on the shaft, meaning the brake is compromised. they have to fit snugly
I would hope that they'd look over that area very closely. I image there would have to be a lot of metal shavings, if not chunks of metal in there that could cause problems down the road. I would be very concerned about that possibility. Too bad they didn't just replace the complete motor.
Sponsored