Sponsored

2022-2023 Lightning-Powertrain Reprogramming Pause-Now Extended to October

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
June. June. This is why Ford is failing in software.

My truck has a bad array. I assume SOMETHING on that list will prevent it from being fixed IF the parts arrive before June.

Mach-E was like a week, why so long on Lightning?

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
To be fair, Kia is on at least their third reprogramming of the ICCU in the e-gmp vehicles.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Can someone explain this in layman's terms?

The way I'm reading it is that the PCM needs to be reprogrammed so you can't reprogram the PCM until it's ready to be reprogrammed in June.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Can someone explain this in layman's terms?

The way I'm reading it is that the PCM needs to be reprogrammed so you can't reprogram the PCM until it's ready to be reprogrammed in June.
I think you've captured it quite nicely.

A while ago those of us who are spring-loaded to the "Update as soon as the new thing comes out" did the most recent powertrain updates and started seeing daily SOBDM and SOBDMC errors. Add to that when dealer techs were addressing customer battery pack array replacements (BECM updates) they were also getting errors that wouldn't clear.

So it's multiple things in the powertrain, and also the truck's gateway module that need to be massaged, tested, massaged some more, tested, verified, and then released.

The recent issue with the Mach-E's powertrain took about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before the correct updates were released for FDRS updating. I think the Lightning is taking longer because of the additional concerns about battery array management, but I don't work for Ford, so I'm not privy to the details.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Every time I think I'm finally ready to reconnect my modem and update my truck, more software issues come to light that make me glad to still be on 4.1.3.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this lifted yet @MikeG? My battery array will be in by mid-week per the dealership, but if they cannot install it...

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this lifted yet @MikeG? My battery array will be in by mid-week per the dealership, but if they cannot install it...
Rick the notice of suspension was only posted to PTS on the 9th.

It's not June yet. That's when the fix is expected.

"Some 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning vehicles may require module reprogramming in the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool to certain powertrain modules (powertrain control module (PCM), battery energy control module (BECM), anti-lock brake system (ABS) module, secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC), secondary on-board diagnostic control module A (SOBDM), secondary on-board diagnostic control module B (SOBDMB) and generic function module 2 (GFM2)). Module reprogramming in the FDRS has been temporarily suspended for these powertrain modules. A solution for this condition is expected in June 2024. Monitor Professional Technician System (PTS), OASIS, and FSA landing pages for additional information and schedule service appointments for customers once the repair becomes available."

I suppose they could put it back together and just hold off on programming the updates until the revisions are released.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Mach-E hold vanished pretty quickly, that's why I asked.

And they have to update those modules AFTER the array repair, correct?

It's not yet disassembled. I won't let them take it apart until they can complete the work, because it is technically still driveable.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Mach-E hold vanished pretty quickly, that's why I asked.

And they have to update those modules AFTER the array repair, correct?

It's not yet disassembled. I won't let them take it apart until they can complete the work, because it is technically still driveable.
Well it would still be driveable after they do the mechanical work. And there are a bunch of us driving around with daily DTCs for the SOBDM and SOBDMC after doing the latest powertrain updates and it hasn't seemed to affect anything so far. Supposedly we're all waiting for a GWM update anyway...not a new set of powertrain updates. So if they just skipped updating your powertrain right now and focused on just what's needed to get the battery pack sorted that would be helpful. I don't know if they can legally do it that way though. So the alternative is to just not drop the truck off until the powertrain programming suspension is lifted.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Am I correct that the powertrain issue is the same as the Mach-E, where it disabled 1 pedal braking? Never use 1 pedal anyway.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Am I correct that the powertrain issue is the same as the Mach-E, where it disabled 1 pedal braking? Never use 1 pedal anyway.
I don't think it has to do with 1PD. It's more about the communication between the SOBDM and SOBDMC through the gateway, or with the gateway, from what I gather (looking from the outside in).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So they were about to begin work on my Lightning this morning, but FSE told them late yesterday they cannot then let me have it back until it is programmed, and they don't have any date beside June... Very annoyed.
Sponsored