Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I got my Lightning about a month ago and the dealer hadn't bothered to do any updates while it sat on their lot and I forgot to request that they do the updates. It's sitting at PU 4.2.1.1.

I have all the gear to do FDRS updates for my Mustang. I did the updates a couple of times early in my ownership, and then the updates started to happen regularly so I stopped bothering.

I guess it's time to suck it up and buy the 2-day license so I can update my Lightning.

For anyone with experience with both, are there any differences between the two that I need to worry about?

One I can think of: My bench power supply is only 30A, which worked fine for the Mustang, but I'm guessing is probably insufficient for the Lightning. I admit to not having read all the posts about FDRS with the Lightning. And given the number of updates the truck will likely need, should I plan on ordering a 50A or 100A power supply? TIA
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I got my Lightning about a month ago and the dealer hadn't bothered to do any updates while it sat on their lot and I forgot to request that they do the updates. It's sitting at PU 4.2.1.1.

I have all the gear to do FDRS updates for my Mustang. I did the updates a couple of times early in my ownership, and then the updates started to happen regularly so I stopped bothering.

I guess it's time to suck it up and buy the 2-day license so I can update my Lightning.

For anyone with experience with both, are there any differences between the two that I need to worry about?

One I can think of: My bench power supply is only 30A, which worked fine for the Mustang, but I'm guessing is probably insufficient for the Lightning. I admit to not having read all the posts about FDRS with the Lightning. And given the number of updates the truck will likely need, should I plan on ordering a 50A or 100A power supply? TIA
The process is the same, but this vehicle has a lot more modules and there will a lot more updates to do. A 30amp power supply will be good enough for most updates. The IPMA/PSCM combo will take 3 hours plus to do; that is the only one you may have a voltage issue with. What is recommended for the EV's is a 40amp minimum. You could live dangerously and try it with the one you have or play it safe and upgrade it.

There are certain powertain module updates that are currently on hold and should be avoided. They seem to have been pulled from FDRS, but if by chance you show an update pending for any of the modules listed below, do not do it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1715956307804-z5

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
The process is the same, but this vehicle has a lot more modules and there will a lot more updates to do. A 30amp power supply will be good enough for most updates. The IPMA/PSCM combo will take 3 hours plus to do; that is the only one you may have a voltage issue with. What is recommended for the EV's is a 40amp minimum. You could live dangerously and try it with the one you have or play it safe and upgrade it.

There are certain powertain module updates that are currently on hold and should be avoided. They seem to have been pulled from FDRS, but if by chance you show an update pending for any of the modules listed below, do not do it.

1715956307804-z5.png
Thanks!

Do you happen to know if those modules on hold means I will be unable to activate the NACS compatibility? I don't expect to need NACS within the next month, but I do have to make a trip to LA sometime this summer and would like to know if I should even bother with thinking about NACS.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks!

Do you happen to know if those modules on hold means I will be unable to activate the NACS compatibility? I don't expect to need NACS within the next month, but I do have to make a trip to LA sometime this summer and would like to know if I should even bother with thinking about NACS.
That is an OBCC update that I do not think is dependent on the powertrain updates. I can't say for sure, but I think you should be able to do it. Post or PM me your VIN and I will check what you show pending.

jlcreasy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I'm in Miami. We can try; maybe the dealer login I have to FDRS will allow me to do it without the password issue that is currently in FDRS. I have not tried any BCM updates since the issue popped up, but we can try if you want.
Sounds great! Let me know when it's convenient for you. I'm on the Gulf side but ready for a nice road trip!

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
A 30amp power supply will be good enough for most updates. The IPMA/PSCM combo will take 3 hours plus to do; that is the only one you may have a voltage issue with. What is recommended for the EV's is a 40amp minimum. You could live dangerously and try it with the one you have or play it safe and upgrade it.
I had a 20A Clore that worked fine in the past but it was on the "limit" where voltages would drop to 11V.
So I figured at the time that 25A would cover it and got a CTek 25A unit (expensive for what it is but the long cables appealed to me).

I did the IPMA with the 25A and voltages dropped to 9V and I thought I was going to brick the truck - never again !

As shown in a previous post, it can draw as much as 60-70A, probably around 40-45 on average, whatever doesn't come from your power-supply has to come from the battery.

I'd personally say that even 40A is on the small side for the Lightning and rather go for 50+.
With the IOTA being $200 for 90A there's really no reason to skimp on the ohmpf.

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
Sounds great! Let me know when it's convenient for you. I'm on the Gulf side but ready for a nice road trip!
@rugedraw @jlcreasy As an FYI, this message from NASTF community just posted. It appears the NASTF login prompt in FDRS when BCM update is rung remains an issue as of today, Friday at 12 PM EST.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 12.05.05 PM

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I got my Lightning about a month ago and the dealer hadn't bothered to do any updates while it sat on their lot and I forgot to request that they do the updates.
They're not allowed to. Even if you asked them, they won't do it. They will only update modules in response to a problem, not just by request.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
@rugedraw @jlcreasy As an FYI, this message from NASTF community just posted. It appears the NASTF login prompt in FDRS when BCM update is rung remains an issue as of today, Friday at 12 PM EST.
The way this is worded, it seems like it is a general login problem to FDRS and does not refer to the BCM issue in particular. As far as the BCM issue goes, I think dealer logins to FDRS may be able to do the BCM update because with a dealer login, you have access to PATS and are able to program key fobs, so no separate password is needed, but it is just a theory.

Last edited:

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
I logged into fdrs successfully earlier today (independent/non-dealer). I don't have any updates in my queue, so I didn't do anything but check.

Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
I checked this morning and the only thing new I have is Driver Front Seat Module (DSM) in my queue. I haven't installed it yet and may just wait

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 12.05.05 PM.png
Hi just wondering if there was any update on this issue with FDRS. I Looked and didn't find if any updates had been made so was just checking. Thanks.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Hi just wondering if there was any update on this issue with FDRS. I Looked and didn't find if any updates had been made so was just checking. Thanks.
Yeah it's been up and running without issues for about two weeks now. Still using 40.4.5

The issue was on the server backend, not the software. And it was only for Independents, not Ford employee logins.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
So I now have all the equipment and what I needed to buy the 2 day access to FDRS service. When I have some spare time coming up soon I’m will be doing so. I’m guessing I’d call myself an independent on the setup as it’s just for my personal usage for access to get up to date from 4.1xx in my lightning.
With all the word of the FDRS outage is that something I should wait on or if there is an outage will my access money just be wasted.? I would hate to pay and not get access for my updates. Any recommendations before I proceed..?

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
With all the word of the FDRS outage is that something I should wait on or if there is an outage will my access money just be wasted.? I would hate to pay and not get access for my updates. Any recommendations before I proceed..?
I do not have personal evidence that the issue is resolved. Although the post I found on the NASTF forum has been updated to indicate that the issue was resolved by Ford.

Nevertheless, in my experience, it was only the BCM update that prompted for NASTF login process that was failing. I was able to update a handful of other modules during that same period.

Yeah it's been up and running without issues for about two weeks now. Still using 40.4.5

The issue was on the server backend, not the software. And it was only for Independents, not Ford employee logins.
Seems others are experiencing success.
Sponsored