• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Radical Difference with built in Nav vs Google

grange

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford Lightning
2 questions:
1. Why is it when I use the built in navigation the system automatically reduces my available miles. For example. My truck is at 85% and I have 240 miles range. I know I won't get the full 240 and I know there are many factors - but the minute I put my address in the Ford Navigation (without moving) it tells me I have 189 miles of range remaining? If I cancel my route my truck goes back to 240 miles remaining?

Just curious if there is a reset or something. Yesterday I had a 150 mile trip with 230 miles available. When I put in the navigation it told me I needed to find a charger as I would not make it home. I ended up making it home with 70 miles left?

Thanks for any insight
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
2 questions:
1. Why is it when I use the built in navigation the system automatically reduces my available miles. For example. My truck is at 85% and I have 240 miles range. I know I won't get the full 240 and I know there are many factors - but the minute I put my address in the Ford Navigation (without moving) it tells me I have 189 miles of range remaining? If I cancel my route my truck goes back to 240 miles remaining?

Just curious if there is a reset or something. Yesterday I had a 150 mile trip with 230 miles available. When I put in the navigation it told me I needed to find a charger as I would not make it home. I ended up making it home with 70 miles left?

Thanks for any insight
In theory, when you put in a destination with the onboard Nav, the system will use that route (average speed, elevation change, weather, etc.) to update your range. I say in theory because it isn't always accurate, but that is what you are seeing

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER
2 questions:

Thanks for any insight

My truck does the same thing. I only use the built-in nav system when I know I'm going to have to DC fast charge so the truck and can precondition the battery for it. I know this doesn't provide an answer for you, but there isn't anything "wrong" with your truck. It's normal.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
Think about it. The truck puts up a number for range. It knows nothing other than outside temperature (maybe) and current battery level. You put in a route…now the truck‘s computer has MUCH more information to use in estimating that range number. As stated above…elevation changes, average speed, etc. In theory, that number is more accurate.

In reality, stop using range and start using battery %. You’ll be happier in the long run.

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT w/Max Tow and TT Packs
Now if Ford would only allow us to use battery % exclusively like Tesla. In my Teslas, I just set the screen to show battery % all of the time and I never thought about range, miles per kwh, etc. You don't really need range numbers when you learn to live with percent of charge. It's like my phone. How much charge is left is all I need to know. Even the Calm Screen in the Lightning has range listed. If I could get battery % on the regular screen, I would slap a piece of tape over the range number and pretend it doesn't exist...but since Ford updates come as frequently as a solar eclipse, I can expect to get the power pack with battery % on the main screen sometime in 2028.

Sponsored

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
Now if Ford would only allow us to use battery % exclusively like Tesla. In my Teslas, I just set the screen to show battery % all of the time and I never thought about range, miles per kwh, etc. You don't really need range numbers when you learn to live with percent of charge. It's like my phone. How much charge is left is all I need to know. Even the Calm Screen in the Lightning has range listed. If I could get battery % on the regular screen, I would slap a piece of tape over the range number and pretend it doesn't exist...but since Ford updates come as frequently as a solar eclipse, I can expect to get the power pack with battery % on the main screen sometime in 2028.
Battery percentage on the main screen came out months ago. Hope you get your update soon.. maybe the dealer can force something??

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
The GOM is useless and never accurate. With the Navigation destination set, it is MUCH closer to reality although still keep an eye on it since it doesn't account for headwinds. Once you set your destination, it has a better idea of how fast you will be driving since it knows the roads you will drive on and your history.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
2 questions:

Thanks for any insight
With regards to the Nav telling you to charge, I believe there may be safety cushion factor at work there. Ford would be in for some extremely negative publicity if their nav told someone they would make it without charging and they ended up stranded - so I'm sure there is a tall threshold.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Even better than a percentage, how about the actual amount of charge remaining including a recommended pad? In many ways EV's are still in their infancy so provide us early (and somewhat nerdy) adopters with what's need to navigate ownership with good Intel. How about the ability to change skins on the dash to show more data ... Yes, there's is mosy likely an approval process with the feds ... So what, do it.

Don't treat the EV like an ICE vehicle until there are 1/2 as many chargers as gas station on the roads.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Percentage is a completely useless number and I don't know how anyone could drive long distances just looking at percentages. Good luck, let us know how the tow goes. Percentage works on an ice vehicle because you can 400-600 miles per tank of gas, and there are three different gas stations at every intersection. You can refuel anywhere at any time at any temperature in any weather without putting more than 5 seconds of thought into it. You could run out of gas and practically cost into the nearest gas station sometimes.

None of the above applies to an EV. Knowing your range is required if you drive long distances or aren't surrounded by level 3 chargers. Understanding the affect of temperature and weather is required. 20% on a nice warm spring day is vastly different than 20% on a cold raining winter night.

If you just drive around town and don't actually need your battery capacity, you're lucky. Enjoy your %. If you actually use your big ass battery, it's a useless number.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've experienced this phenomenon with the NAVIGATION artificially lowering the range expectation for no apparent reason, before you even start.
I know the roads, they are flat.
I know the temp, it is average.
I know the winds, they are calm.
And yet, with the starting range of 240, it suddenly drops to 185 when I put in a NAV Destination that is only 200 miles away. Crazy.

No, it doesn't know my speed for the whole trip, nor could it.
No, it doesn't know if I'll stop along the way, or if they'll be traffic.

If you drive faster than 'average', it will lower those number even more.
If you drive SLOWER than 'average', those numbers will become more 'in-line', and you would then see the range extend into more of what you expected...

I suggest that the system was engineered to err on the side of caution and create an artificial 'need' to charge somewhere in between, although as I've experienced, you typically would not need to, especially if you are arriving HOME, where you have power.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Percentage is a completely useless number and I don't know how anyone could drive long distances just looking at percentages. Good luck, let us know how the tow goes. Percentage works on an ice vehicle because you can 400-600 miles per tank of gas, and there are three different gas stations at every intersection. You can refuel anywhere at any time at any temperature in any weather without putting more than 5 seconds of thought into it. You could run out of gas and practically cost into the nearest gas station sometimes.

None of the above applies to an EV. Knowing your range is required if you drive long distances or aren't surrounded by level 3 chargers. Understanding the affect of temperature and weather is required. 20% on a nice warm spring day is vastly different than 20% on a cold raining winter night.

If you just drive around town and don't actually need your battery capacity, you're lucky. Enjoy your %. If you actually use your big ass battery, it's a useless number.
I disagree. The % SOC is just another way of displaying the same information as miles remaining. The only difference is that it requires a little mental math to equate it to miles. Where the difference lies, and why many if not most of us here prefer % SOC, is that we can immediately adjust the math on the fly to come up with a more accurate estimate for miles remaining. For instance, we can reset the trip and get a current efficiency reading. Based on that, I know how to estimate my actual range.

For ER, 2.4mpk = 3miles / % and every 0.3mpk above or below adds/subtracts roughly 10%. When I'm on a highway and getting 2.0mpk, I know to expect ~25 miles per 10%. If I see it drop to 1.8, I know to expect about ~23 per 10%. My daily commute yields an average of 2.8 so I know I have ~34 miles per 10%. Not everyone is good at math, so if the miles remaining works for you that's great. But there's a large contingent here that don't like it's constant over/underestimation of range so we just do the math.

Silver lining is it helps keep your mind sharp. ;)

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
For ER, 2.4mpk = 3miles / % and every 0.3mpk above or below adds/subtracts roughly 10%. When I'm on a highway and getting 2.0mpk, I know to expect ~25 miles per 10%. If I see it drop to 1.8, I know to expect about ~23 per 10%
That's easier?? Lol ok

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
That's easier?? Lol ok
It really is on long trips. Never trust the GOM. Percent times efficiency = more accurate, less volatile, range estimate for me. I'll do it all day.

On a highway I usually a get 1.7 kw/mi so I just multiply 1.7 x % throughout the trip. Or in the winter 1.5 or whatever the efficiency is that the truck is reporting at the time.
Sponsored