First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance Broker
Good morning to you all. My first post here. I drive a MachE presently, things are generally very good. I am looking to add a truck to replace my SUV ICE vehicle. Basically I need something to haul away yard stuff and when going on a longer trip, I want to be able to be in a very comfortable vehicle.
So the question is about the battery in the Lightening, any rumours that battery tech will be changing for better range? Battery tech is changing at "neck break speed". Should I sit and wait, jump in now with the idea that maybe the after market will have a solution to add a portable long range battery for the long trips??

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
GM has two trucks and a Hummer with significantly higher range.

Are you doing road trips now? People always ask me about the range of my truck but I don't really care because I don't do trips outside of its range.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
People always ask me about the range of my truck but I don't really care because I don't do trips outside of its range.
I'm so sick of the question. I just say I stop more often for breaks than I have ever needed to charge. If you watch people at gas stations in ICE cars, they hang around for so long, so someone out there is lying because all I ever hear is "I never stop til I need gas, and I gotta be 5 minutes or less"

OP
OP

earlyadopt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance Broker
GM has two trucks and a Hummer with significantly higher range.

Are you doing road trips now? People always ask me about the range of my truck but I don't really care because I don't do trips outside of its range.
The longer road trips happen about four times a year. I am happy with my Ford, I had a F150 till I traded it in for the MachE.
This is why I am asking about the after market and if there are any plans for a portable battery pack that would extend the range for the one off's. I go to Alabama in the spring for golf, with this distance of a trip, I would need to charge 7 times for a combined 3 hrs. This is all based on ABRP app and my MachE. The lightening does not get as much range as my extended MachE. So maybe faster charging the solution. I guess wait for the tech to change or buy a Hybrid.

Sponsored
OP
OP

earlyadopt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance Broker
I'm so sick of the question. I just say I stop more often for breaks than I have ever needed to charge. If you watch people at gas stations in ICE cars, they hang around for so long, so someone out there is lying because all I ever hear is "I never stop til I need gas, and I gotta be 5 minutes or less"
Actually, I am one of those guys that is a "road warrior" just want to get to the destination the fastest way. So as an example, 3 hrs of charging for a trip total of 20 hrs works out to 15% of the time charging. That is a fair amount of time. The average price to charge seems to be close to the cost of gas unless my math sucks.

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Yeah, if all you use the truck for is exclusively long-haul trips in the shortest time possible, buy something else. Even though I've got 54k miles on my lightning after 18 months, I still only long-haul a few times a year. Quite a few single fast charge trips, but still a majority of my charging is at home at 1/3 the equivalent price of gas.

(And on the long hauls, I usually am ready to pee and not drive for a bit when the truck needs juice)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP

earlyadopt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance Broker

Sponsored

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
Keep in mind there is a balance, even though the Hummer and Chevy can charge at 350 kw doesn't mean that the charger will. I recently went to a 350 kw charger that would only give 36 kw, try going to 80% on a 220 kwh battery with that. They also weigh 9000 lbs so their efficiency is worse.

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
The longer road trips happen about four times a year. I am happy with my Ford, I had a F150 till I traded it in for the MachE.
This is why I am asking about the after market and if there are any plans for a portable battery pack that would extend the range for the one off's. I go to Alabama in the spring for golf, with this distance of a trip, I would need to charge 7 times for a combined 3 hrs. This is all based on ABRP app and my MachE. The lightening does not get as much range as my extended MachE. So maybe faster charging the solution. I guess wait for the tech to change or buy a Hybrid.
Last Summer (2023) I took my Lightning Lariat ER on a trip across the USA. It all comes down if one is on a rush to get somewhere or not. I'm retired so I'm not concerned with time. My trip covered 44 states in 3 weeks and totaled 10,000 miles.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Thanks for this, with the new battery, this makes it even more interesting since charging to 100% is not an issue. Now it will be interesting to see what speeds the battery can take.
Mucha appreciate the article
LFP batteries are not great in the cold. Living in Toronto, you'll need that 100% and it still won't be anything close to offsetting the cold weather range hit.

Yes, you can charge other batteries to 100% when you really need that range. 90% as the regular daily charge isn't much of a hit.

I've got 27k miles on my F150 Lariat ER. It's the favorite family road tripper. As others have noted, the range already exceeds bladder range. We choose our stops around meals and bathroom breaks so that the impact to overall travel time is pretty much non-existent. With the combined charging networks available to us now, road-tripping an EV is a non-event.

The battery that GM uses is massive and compromises the handling of the Silverado. It's silly to drag all of that weight around when you're not going long distances. Carrying an additional battery with you is offset by the range hit that you take with the weight.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Actually, I am one of those guys that is a "road warrior" just want to get to the destination the fastest way. So as an example, 3 hrs of charging for a trip total of 20 hrs works out to 15% of the time charging. That is a fair amount of time. The average price to charge seems to be close to the cost of gas unless my math sucks.
Your math is correct, it's the cost of convient charging on the that road sucks!

ll214zy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Thanks for this, with the new battery, this makes it even more interesting since charging to 100% is not an issue. Now it will be interesting to see what speeds the battery can take.
Mucha appreciate the article
Note that it looks like the new LFP is only slated for SR batteries. So probably not the answer for your long trips.
Sponsored