First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Here are the Dog Mode (sorry, I'm not a cat person) instructions that I've been using in my May 2022 LL:

• AC / Heat On: Be sure it’s set to “Auto” and to, say, 73 degrees.
  • Truck On: Leave the Truck Running.
  • Lights to Off: Turn the dial to the left until it’s “off”.
  • “Power Down” Timer Off: Turn Off the 30 second “Vehicle Power Down Timer”: Note, if you shut the truck off during this process, you MUST repeat this step. This step is required every time you start the truck.
    • “Settings”
    • “Vehicle”
    • Turn off the first setting, “Vehicle Power Down” – This must be manually toggled to “Off” EVERY time (because when the car is shut off, this immediately “resets” to “Timer On”.)
  • Manual Cardboard Sign: I put a “Dog Mode” sign over the display. And I’ve pasted these instructions to the back of the sign.
  • Open Door: Dash will say, “Truck is Running.” Ignore or press “OK”.
  • Exit: You can take the Remote OR you can leave the Remote.
  • Lock Truck: Lock the truck by simultaneously pressing the “9-0” and “7-8” buttons on the “Keyless Entry Keypad” (on the door jam.) Confirm truck is locked by confirming the traditional door lock “knobs” are down after closing all doors. If the truck double chirps, it is NOT locked.
  • Confirm Running: Confirm the truck is still running. (The dashboard should look like it does when you are driving.)
Will this disable the window buttons? My dogs have a habit of stepping on the window buttons and the window opens. I have the rear windows disabled from the driver arm rest button but the front windows still operate.
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Will this disable the window buttons? My dogs have a habit of stepping on the window buttons and the window opens. I have the rear windows disabled from the driver arm rest button but the front windows still operate.
No. Might have to 3D print something to prevent the buttons from being pressed, if your dogs go in the front.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I assume not. I've not tested this. My lab happens to be super-chill and doesnt' get up from his 4 inch thick pad which covers the entire back seat floor! He's never ventured into the front seat. Sorry.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Nothing is disabled, except the ability to drive the truck, because no key is inside it.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Nothing is disabled, except the ability to drive the truck, because no key is inside it.
We also have a Tesla and use dog mode often. Tesla has it down pat. You can simply select dog mode and car is set up perfectly. Doors lock when you walk away, AC continues to stay running. Giant screen shows bystanders that dogs are are cool. Window buttons are inop. Plus you can use the interior camera to view the dogs remotely while you are in the store.
Ford should try to duplicate this mode.

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
No. Might have to 3D print something to prevent the buttons from being pressed, if your dogs go in the front.
I've been leaving my dogs all this time with that as a possibility omg :oops:

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I've been leaving my dogs all this time with that as a possibility omg :oops:
I once came back to our Lighting and found the passenger window open and the dogs with their heads outside.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I once came back to our Lighting and found the passenger window open and the dogs with their heads outside.
had a chance to think about it, i keep the rear ones locked, and on the passenger side i have a protector I 3d printed. So it was only my driverside window that was an issue... better design something now I guess.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
We also have a Tesla and use dog mode often. Tesla has it down pat. You can simply select dog mode and car is set up perfectly. Doors lock when you walk away, AC continues to stay running. Giant screen shows bystanders that dogs are are cool. Window buttons are inop. Plus you can use the interior camera to view the dogs remotely while you are in the store.
Ford should try to duplicate this mode.
Been listening to this since 2021 on the Mach-E forum. Yes, Ford knows what Tesla has. Yes, Ford has heard people say this over, and over, and over.. and over again.

There is no dog mode today. There is a way to get close. Use it - or leave dog at home (I grew up with two goldens and they never went in the vehicles for local driving). Or, train dog to stay in the backseat.

Last edited:

Sponsored

InTheCloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
I remember when DRLs were mandated in the early 90s, when us yutes would run around with our mini trucks with parking lights and Hella lights only (headlights off). We figured out our 93 Ford Ranger would turn off DRLs if you clicked the parking brake to the first tick. :LOL:

Curious if setting the parking brake on the Lightning turns of DRLs

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
had a chance to think about it, i keep the rear ones locked, and on the passenger side i have a protector I 3d printed. So it was only my driverside window that was an issue... better design something now I guess.
Would you be willing to share your 3d print file(s)? I had not considered the possibility my dogs might step on the window buttons. I have been lucky so far :) Now that I know....

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR