Sponsored

Ford Offers You Extra Power For $995 (For MachE GT)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Some of us performance junkies will pay..... 💸💸💸💸💸
Sponsored

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I read it as a one time fee. If that's the case, then its no difference than any other vehicle. By the time you buy the tuning software and either tune a vehicle yourself or pay someone to do it for you, then your pretty much in the same boat. If they offered it to the Lightning I would take it.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Every design has safety factor engineered in to guarantee performance as specified. Anyone can eat into that safety factor for a little more performance at the expense of potential mechanical failure. Some customers want to gain that extra performance but still hold the manufacture liable for failure. It doesn’t work that way.
if you want that extra, pay the manufacturer or gain it yourself at your own risk.

Sponsored

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
In 2022, Farley said he would “be surprised if we charged for heated seats. I don’t think that’s our approach.” But that was then.

Many days later, in 2023, Ford Pro reported that they've got 400,000 customers paying for various subscriptions, a 60% jump from the previous year. "Ford believes that 20% of earnings at its commercial unit before interest and taxes will come from software services by 2026"

I mean, Logitech is talking about subscription mice.

Obviously, subscription brakes will be a major improvement over what we have now. A basic braking system capable of stopping the vehicle after a while will be standard. But customers who want a system capable of stopping the vehicle in an emergency can subscribe for a mere $200 a month. Isn't staying alive worth $200 a month?

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
So in essence, they're just showing us what we already know, it's about the share price not the oh so necessary customer. Makes me few so "valuable" instead of "valued"

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
In 2022, Farley said he would “be surprised if we charged for heated seats. I don’t think that’s our approach.” But that was then.

Many days later, in 2023, Ford Pro reported that they've got 400,000 customers paying for various subscriptions, a 60% jump from the previous year. "Ford believes that 20% of earnings at its commercial unit before interest and taxes will come from software services by 2026"

I mean, Logitech is talking about subscription mice.

Obviously, subscription brakes will be a major improvement over what we have now. A basic braking system capable of stopping the vehicle after a while will be standard. But customers who want a system capable of stopping the vehicle in an emergency can subscribe for a mere $200 a month. Isn't staying alive worth $200 a month?
I can see the next gen come with auto horn as it gets more sophisticated with AI and image recognition. Your truck recognizes a tag that has warrant for arrest, blue cruise ride it's bumper blasting the horn. After you survive the shooting, you are offered the ability to turn off the auto horn for $2K a month. What a deal.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Offers You Extra Power For $995 (For MachE GT) 1722608274896-b5

Sky is the limit for revenue potential of subscription model.

Drama and kidding aside, if the manufacturers don't collude against us, we should be OK with our choices.

Last edited:

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I can see the next gen come with auto horn as it gets more sophisticated with AI and image recognition. Your truck recognizes a tag that has warrant for arrest, blue cruise ride it's bumper blasting the horn. After you survive the shooting, you are offered the ability to turn off the auto horn for $2K a month. What a deal.

1722608274896-b5.png

Sky is the limit for revenue potential of subscription model.

Drama and kidding aside, if the manufacturers don't collude against us, we should be OK with our choices.
Opportunism isn't collusion but it's still not cool.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Opportunism isn't collusion but it's still not cool.
Collusion isn't oportunism but it's illegal. I have no evidence that has happened with regards to subscription services/features. Just saying if the competition is free and not rigged, we should be OK.

Frankly, if they don't tie essential functions and features to subscription, I am all for it. Someone paying extra for unlocking extra performance that my truck has the potential for, means that I can buy the truck for less with it locked. I much rather this setup than being forced to pay extra for things I don't care about.

However if all manufacturers start charging subscriptions to unlock my steering wheel, I will start riding a bicycle.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I agree with some other comments in this thread and don't see this as a big deal from a negative standpoint. People bought the vehicle with a set of specifications, that's what those people expect from their vehicle when they bought it. Ford figured out how to release more power (an unnecessary upgrade), this is an unneccesary add-on that isn't adding something previously promised.

Based on Ford's recent revenue, this isn't a bad idea.

If they released one for the Lightning I probably wouldn't buy it...I already feel a little guilty with how fast our heavy truck goes.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I agree with some other comments in this thread and don't see this as a big deal from a negative standpoint. People bought the vehicle with a set of specifications, that's what those people expect from their vehicle when they bought it. Ford figured out how to release more power (an unnecessary upgrade), this is an unneccesary add-on that isn't adding something previously promised.

Based on Ford's recent revenue, this isn't a bad idea.

If they released one for the Lightning I probably wouldn't buy it...I already feel a little guilty with how fast our heavy truck goes.
I think some are confusing this as a Subscription when it's a Purchase. You pay a one time fee and the power is on the car forever. I also understand what some are saying that Ford has essentially detuned the Mach-E in order to sell this Upgrade. For us with older Lightning models a performance boost option would be welcomed.

This bring some hope that the aftermarket can come up with something for us.

H8N-8NT-EZ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I would pay for the extra HP and do not take issue with this approach. It would likely mean they'd have to adjust their EPA MPe (or whatever the MPG equivalent is) on the window sticker if they included this upgrade to all cars because it surely is going to impact efficiency.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I think this is just a slippery slope! In someways, I agree with those that say it’s not that big a deal to pay extra to get extra performance. my concern is this just the beginning? I always look to the future and that is what concerns me if they find traction with something like this then you get into a situation like my original post (a bunch of BS fees being added on even if they are one time and not a subscription.)
I had a problem with this when Microsoft office went to 365 with a subscription model and Lord knows there’s all kinds of other software out there doing the same thing. I just don’t want to see my vehicle or vehicle manufacturers head in that direction. I know some already have. I read a while back that Tesla was going to do something with the battery capacity being limited and you could pay to upgrade from a standard range to a extended range as it was software limited, but the batteries were in there. If I paid for a standard range vehicle and wanted the extended range (then just like with this truck when I purchased it I paid extra for extended range), but if it would’ve been an option to add later, that would be OK and that situation.
Sponsored