• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HIS-Auto Switchover when truck in Deep Sleep

ValleyLightning23

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2012 Escape hybrid
I have had the HIS system installed now for about 10 months following taking delivery of my ER Lariat in Aug 2023. Like many others, had persistent ups and downs with connectivity. However after various OTA updates it seems catching truck up and finally getting past issues, resetting charging station and connecting with FCSP finally had multiple successful attempts with backup power. And yes I plan to test regularly now that it is working. Just in the last month we have had a couple of actual power outages where it has finally been helpful although switchover hasn't happened automatically.

My question to others and hopefully Ford is, during testing both auto and manual switchover it worked fine. My intent is to leave in Auto switchover. However just yesterday morning the power went out about 6am (ended up ~ 3hrs) and I waited 10+ minutes for the switchover to occur with nothing happening. The truck was still definitely in deep sleep (unlike when I was successfully testing auto switchover) and so rather than go into truck and start manually onscreen, I just disconnected FCSP connector (port lights still white) from the port on truck and then reconnected. Shortly thereafter (< 2 minutes I would guess) the lights around the charge port turned to green as normal and the truck started transferring power to the house. Now I would really like to not have to do that in February in the middle of the night during a snowstorm.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any insight is appreciated - thanks.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Research @Jim Lewis posts, he's had extensive experience troubleshooting.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
so rather than go into truck and start manually onscreen, I just disconnected FCSP connector (port lights still white) from the port on truck and then reconnected. Shortly thereafter (< 2 minutes I would guess) the lights around the charge port turned to green as normal and the truck started transferring power to the house. Now I would really like to not have to do that in February in the middle of the night during a snowstorm.
My recent experience has been similar to yours. When backup transfer is not behaving, several times I've found it helpful to unplug the charger from the truck, let the truck and charger sit by themselves a minute or two, and then reinsert the charger head in the truck port. Sometimes I've had to do that several times before the FCSP and truck start behaving "normally."

I used to do a cold reboot of my FCSP if I found power transfer wasn't working in a monthly system test (throw FCSP quick disconnect, turn off inverter breaker, inverter quick disconnect, turn red switch under inverter 90 deg counterclockwise, shut down Dark Start battery via M Professional app, then let sit ~30 min with power off, then reverse the switch order to restart).

When that didn't work around 6/3/24, I factory reset my FCSP (1st FCSP hardware button after opening the case with all power off as above before restoring power for a careful reset button press, then a FCSP soft reset via FordPass when the hard reset didn't restore full functionality). Then, I factory reset my truck. This was an extreme measure. Do it at your own risk. I reset both because the FCSP wasn't showing its Wi-Fi SSID after a cold reboot or broadcasting BT. After the FCSP connectivity was restored by reset, the truck wasn't willing to BT pair with the FCSP even though the FCSP was broadcasting its BT identity; the truck reset, after a several-hour recovery, allowed me to BT pair the truck to the FCSP.

Lately, with a gateway update expected supposedly in August 2024, I've become fatalistic and decided to stop stressing my home circuitry with monthly tests. If the HIS system fails during an outage, I'll worry about restoring it to functionality when the power comes back. We've survived many outages of the Texas grid system before, including the Valentine's Day 2021 Deep Freeze outage (no power or heat for 2 1/2 days, temp outside ~9F, house temp fell to 44F). So, if Ford ever makes the system work reliably, it will be an expensive indulgence but not a necessity for our survival.

Tentative August 2024 gateway module update: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-fdrs-temporarily-suspended.19409/post-400475

OP
OP

ValleyLightning23

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2012 Escape hybrid
Thanks for the additional input and info on the anticipated update. It’s the closest it’s been to working well without needing extension cords which was the case this winter, so I will try to remain patient a little longer and watch for that update.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Ford should be embarrassed. They should refund the cost including install costs to everyone they suckered into it as an apology. And they should stop selling new ones.

The $10,000 that garbage HIS costs could buy a really nice EG4 inverter with integrated instant transfer switch and a battery wall.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The $10,000 that garbage HIS costs
IMHO, it's the truck and the FCSP that are the black sheep of the family. When those two devices have managed to get their act together, my HIS system has always provided backup power. Through M Professional, when I've looked, the Acrel meter is always detecting a grid disconnect, but the FCSP and the truck do a lousy job of translating that message into action, e.g., the positioning of the truck Bluetooth module on the opposite side of the truck from the charger port, the side on which you'd place the FCSP. So, it's not just the people who bought the HIS unit who are shortchanged. Ford is shipping an inferiorly built truck and FCSP out the door to many owners. It's not the HIS unit; Ford didn't adequately engineer the products to go with it (the truck and the FCSP), IMHO. Consider the Ford SSM message quoted by Mike G. in the link I provided above, where Ford says backup isn't going to work properly until it provides an overdue gateway module update FOR THE TRUCK!

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
This is the same Ford that can't display the battery % on the dashboard of an electric vehicle because it is too complicated to push such a software update that works. So we can't expect them to make this integration work either.

Reactions: chl

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
Same issues here too.
Recently, it only works if the truck is powered on, and event then if the truck is so close to the charging station my chickens start panicking….

Ford F-150 Lightning HIS-Auto Switchover when truck in Deep Sleep IMG_5688

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The entire design is flawed and should have been rejected early by any senior engineer who got anywhere near it. I'd guess none did until it had gathered sufficient momentum within Ford to be too hard to stop.

All these devices are connected by control wiring (the power wiring serves a dual function as control wiring because of the use of Ethernet over power line signaling, already in place for CCS charging). Relying on not just one but multiple wireless technologies for control purposes when there are already wires in place is inexcusable.

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum, Ford F250, Rivian R1S
I am glad that someone started a new thread on the HIS. My issues have been similar to the original poster. Similar to Jim Lewis I have given up stress testing my home. Mostly because I don't want to stress test myself. I reset my system a few days ago. It didn't seem to help until I unplugged the charger and waited to re-plug it in.
You know if this thread had a note of how we had a great towing experience and a few trailer pictures Ford would be all over it.
It does surprise me that there isn't more troubleshooting information on the truck or charger.

I hope that the new update resolves the issues, but everytime I have spoken with tech support the answer always is an upcoming OTA. 16 months later, still have the same issue.

Sponsored

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I am about to install my HIS so I am just going to ignore all these posts. Ignorance is bliss.
I did manage to get an LG battery though, so hopefully that will keep me going until I can get the truck reset each time.
Just in my year of research I would agree with everyones experience. The Delta inverter itself is a great product. It is the Ford side of things that needs the attention.

Stonelew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Lexus Hybrid 2023 Lightning Platinum
I am about to install my HIS so I am just going to ignore all these posts. Ignorance is bliss.
I did manage to get an LG battery though, so hopefully that will keep me going until I can get the truck reset each time.
Just in my year of research I would agree with everyones experience. The Delta inverter itself is a great product. It is the Ford side of things that needs the attention.
My HIS has been working consistently for the last 3 months. I went thru the frustrations and finally got to the point of being able to pair the charger and truck without help. A couple of pro tips...get the passenger rear door with the back seat down as close to the charger as possible. After making attempts at pairing and not working try pushing the volume down button and the fast forward button simultaneously. This resets the truck and it has worked for me. Good luck.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
The entire design is flawed and should have been rejected early by any senior engineer who got anywhere near it. I'd guess none did until it had gathered sufficient momentum within Ford to be too hard to stop.

All these devices are connected by control wiring (the power wiring serves a dual function as control wiring because of the use of Ethernet over power line signaling, already in place for CCS charging). Relying on not just one but multiple wireless technologies for control purposes when there are already wires in place is inexcusable.
Amen!
Sponsored