• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cat paw trapped in the tailgate clamp pocket

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat
Occupation
Electrics Engineer
I really hope this is a freak accident and nobody else has this issue. I was working in the garage today and I heard what sounded like a cat fight, but it just kept going. I looked at my truck and the neighbor's cat was bouncing all over the place screaming. It looks like he was walking across my tailgate while it was up and when he stepped on the clamp pocket, his paw went in but then he couldn't get it back out again.

I was able to rescue the cat, but it wasn't without pain. He sunk the full length of his teeth into my arm while I was trying to get his leg unstuck. And I don't blame him that must have hurt. Lots of new scratches all over the paint and rolling cover in that area.

The cat is fine. Paw doesn't appear to be broken. I REALLY hope he learned not to do that and it doesn't happen again. But in case he didn't (and I really don't want any other cat to have to go through this), I looked at the pockets, I couldn't figure out a way to lock the plastic covers shut. Does anybody have an idea?

Posting a picture of the clamp pocket. I doubt you want to see my bloody arm.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cat paw trapped in the tailgate clamp pocket PXL_20240918_010358243
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I really hope this is a freak accident and nobody else has this issue. I was working in the garage today and I heard what sounded like a cat fight, but it just kept going. I looked at my truck and the neighbor's cat was bouncing all over the place screaming. It looks like he was walking across my tailgate while it was up and when he stepped on the clamp pocket, his paw went in but then he couldn't get it back out again.

I was able to rescue the cat, but it wasn't without pain. He sunk the full length of his teeth into my arm while I was trying to get his leg unstuck. And I don't blame him that must have hurt. Lots of new scratches all over the paint and rolling cover in that area.

The cat is fine. Paw doesn't appear to be broken. I REALLY hope he learned not to do that and it doesn't happen again. But in case he didn't (and I really don't want any other cat to have to go through this), I looked at the pockets, I couldn't figure out a way to lock the plastic covers shut. Does anybody have an idea?

PXL_20240918_010358243.jpg
Hope you are better. Having just been injured by a cat myself, I am passing on some info from my doctor. Bites and scratches from cats can cause serious infection - which can then cause sepsis. Doctor said that if bitten to seek medical treatment promptly. I did not, became infected and got chomped on by the doc.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
A cat bite deep enough to draw blood is serious. It's not unusual to need hospitalization for IV antibiotics. Get it looked at quickly!

Next time you need to rescue a cat in a situation where it might bite you, I recommend welding gloves, if you own any, or thick leather gloves of some other kind if not. A cat that thinks it's fighting for its life can easily bite right through fabric work gloves.

The cat is lucky you found it when you did. Like other animals that size, if they really think they're trapped and might die, they'll chew their own feet off to escape. Bad scene all around.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Had a similar bite when trying to rescue a squirrel. But only got my fingers.

buy some black gorilla gaffers / duct tape and just cover the pockets. The tape is thick mil and very sticky. Should do the trick.
Rick

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER

Few options..
1. Piece of heavy duty black duct tape.. Not ideal, I know.
2. A thin small black coarse head screw, maybe a drywall screw or thinner - hand screw it in the corner opposite the hinge. It'll keep the flap shut without damage and when you need to use the pocket, just twist it out.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
This is why cats NEED 9 lives, and why curiosity will kill them anyway.
Reminds me of when my older sister was in high school, a straight A student, etc.
but one day she stuck her finger into a test tube in chemistry class and couldn't get it out.
They had to cut it ( the glass not the finger ) to get it out.
The old chemistry teacher said it was the first time in his 30 years of teaching that anyone had had a finger stuck in a test tube! And probably the last.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I hope you are doing well and getting the bite taken care of!

What an interesting story. As they say, truth is stranger than fiction. How could the proud designer of the tailgate pocket cover ever imagine it being a leg trap for cats? I don't think I could trap a cat if I intentionally set out to do so.

OP
OP

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat
Occupation
Electrics Engineer
Thanks for sharing this concern. I did my due diligence. The cat's rabies is current. I got a tetanus booster and oral antibiotics. If after 48 hours there's a fever, lines, or increased redness, I get to go back.

Hope you are better. Having just been injured by a cat myself, I am passing on some info from my doctor. Bites and scratches from cats can cause serious infection - which can then cause sepsis. Doctor said that if bitten to seek medical treatment promptly. I did not, became infected and got chomped on by the doc.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Thanks for sharing this concern. I did my due diligence. The cat's rabies is current. I got a tetanus booster and oral antibiotics. If after 48 hours there's a fever, lines, or increased redness, I get to go back.
I went through the exact same thing. Amoxicillin is so much fun. Hopefully, everything will go well and you don't have to go back!!

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT

Yikes! One-in-a-million chance. Cats are usually so SURE FOOTED.
Sponsored