• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Shifter: suddenly has two “extra” detents

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
So, I’m doing some low speed parking and departing today and I keep putting the truck in the wrong gear. I figure I’ve just forgotten how to drive this very day. When I’m back safely in my drive way I test it. Sure enough, pulling from P to R the shifter has a detent and is still in P. Same thing at the bottom when I go from D to N. Already made appt. at dealership.
“I’m an excellent driver.” Rainman
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The shifter in our trucks is one of the most unnecessarily complex designs in automotive history. It’s a huge mechanical contraption that needs a motor to function when all it needs to be is a simple electrical switch.

OP
OP
BuzzLightning2023

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agreed. I won’t drive it until it’s fixed. I don’t want it to get into my head that I might or might not be in the right gear…

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I had this happen a couple of times in 2 years. I found folding the handle, turning the truck off, back on then unfolding it straightened it out. It seems to loose its detent locations once in a while and needs to reset itself.

MTcowpoke

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many diesels and a Lightning
Occupation
Rancher
As @Adventureboy says, fold your shifter down and back up, should straighten out. I've messed mine up numerous times chasing cattle when I slam shift between forward and reverse. My guess is a stepper motor gets out of sync.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
You should just stick to high speed parking like the rest of us....

OP
OP
BuzzLightning2023

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had this happen a couple of times in 2 years. I found folding the handle, turning the truck off, back on then unfolding it straightened it out. It seems to loose its detent locations once in a while and needs to reset itself.
I appreciate that! I won’t try it until I make the dealer try to fix it. It’s a real safety issue and I want to make sure it goes on its permanent record to secure my warranty rights.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I appreciate that! I won’t try it until I make the dealer try to fix it. It’s a real safety issue and I want to make sure it goes on its permanent record to secure my warranty rights.
Agree, it is quite annoying and dangerous when things don't line up on the shifter. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a recall on this one at some point.

ChippewaBarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum Agate Black
The shifter in our trucks is one of the most unnecessarily complex designs in automotive history. It’s a huge mechanical contraption that needs a motor to function when all it needs to be is a simple electrical switch.
Absolutely.

The MachE one is perfect and when we traded it in for the Lightning I couldn't believe how antiquated the Lightning one felt...but I guess they had to appease the traditional truck owner crowd (as if tons of SUVs and cars don't use dials already).

Also the MachE dial would have been a no brainer to use especially with the fold out work platform in the console...way more practical than a FOLDING DOWN SHIFTER lol
Sponsored