• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 Lariat ER needs a new onboard charger

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighning Lariat
After getting towed in back on Jan 22nd due to a charge fault, I was told the onboard charger with a part cost of just under $9,000 had a short and needed top be replaced. The part was not available and I was told about 2 weeks to get one and that they had asked for an expidite. I called ford for to arrange a rental and also asked for the part to be expidited. I received a from Ford on the 1st that said they had located a part for me and it would be about 2 more weeks. It is very frustrating that they can't seem to get a part for a vehicle that is still in production and that reportedly has slowing sales.

The Ford representitives have ben very proffesional and understanding. It sure would be nice if the production and engineering side could make thier and my life a bit easier.

I have brand new service loaner that is an f150 Ecoboost and I can say I really miss my lighning. If it goes over the 30 days for my state lemon law should I ask for a buyback or assume that it was a fluke and the rest of the truck should be fine?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Why would you ask for a buyback if they fix the truck?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It seems jobbers building the finished components are barely able to keep pace with scheduled production nevermind depot supplies for repair orders.

Recent article indicates more supply chain problems, apparently a common part that is used on Lightnings and ICE F150's, obviously not a charge controller, but you get the drift, things are tight, delays in supply logistics in some parts of the world are being felt.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
After getting towed in back on Jan 22nd due to a charge fault, I was told the onboard charger with a part cost of just under $9,000 had a short and needed top be replaced. The part was not available and I was told about 2 weeks to get one and that they had asked for an expidite. I called ford for to arrange a rental and also asked for the part to be expidited. I received a from Ford on the 1st that said they had located a part for me and it would be about 2 more weeks. It is very frustrating that they can't seem to get a part for a vehicle that is still in production and that reportedly has slowing sales.

The Ford representitives have ben very proffesional and understanding. It sure would be nice if the production and engineering side could make thier and my life a bit easier.

I have brand new service loaner that is an f150 Ecoboost and I can say I really miss my lighning. If it goes over the 30 days for my state lemon law should I ask for a buyback or assume that it was a fluke and the rest of the truck should be fine?
I had an EcoBoost F150 as a loaner while mine was in for a new battery module, so I feel your pain.

That part cost didn't make sense to me because onboard chargers aren't usually that expensive. Do you know which one they're replacing?

Front:
Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat ER needs a new onboard charger 1707052490388

And the rear:
Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat ER needs a new onboard charger 1707052664416

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Systems question for those more knowledgeable than me. If the charger dies you obviously can't use AC to charge, but can you still use DC? If @Wildernesscoffee could DCFC he might be able to continue to use the truck while waiting for the part.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Systems question for those more knowledgeable than me. If the charger dies you obviously can't use AC to charge, but can you still use DC? If @Wildernesscoffee could DCFC he might be able to continue to use the truck while waiting for the part.
I believe mine failed last week. I get the orange ring of death on all L2 chargers. I can DCFC no problem since that is a different charge mechanism. Will know more on Friday.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I had an EcoBoost F150 as a loaner while mine was in for a new battery module, so I feel your pain.

That part cost didn't make sense to me because onboard chargers aren't usually that expensive. Do you know which one they're replacing?

Front:
1707052490388.png

And the rear:
1707052664416.png
Labor?

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I can't see the labor guide, but I doubt it. The chargers are mounted on top of the motors; the front is dead-center when you remove the frunk.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat ER needs a new onboard charger 1707090775697

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat ER needs a new onboard charger 1707090796008

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat ER needs a new onboard charger 8746F75E-0817-42F2-8D40-6DC61ED7FDEA_1_105_c

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Is this part of 8 year 100k miles warranty? Or 3 year 36k?

To get a brand new truck with full warranty, and claim $7500 again. He might paid higher price and would be a huge gain with buy back.

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The nearest DCFC is 30 miles away from where I live, so not a good option for me. The dealer just finished instaling DCFC, but they are not online yet.

I would also be concerned that if something in the charging system is broken DCFC could damage modules and make the problem bigger.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Front:
1707052490388.png

And the rear:
1707052664416.png
The service advisor said it was on he top of the battery pack. It is the dual input charger that takes AC and converts it to DC. I think the parts you are showing are for taking DC from the motors during regen to charge.

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am thinking they have some QC issues going on. If I were to hold out for the 2024 model maybe reliabilty would improve? Telsa had lots of problems early on, but seem to have improved drivetrain reliability over time. The Lightnig is a great truck and will keep improving as they learn what the failure points are. Maybe an extended warranty is enough peace of mind. The good part is that I have a dealer that is responsive and see evs as a part of their future business and wants to get it right.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The service advisor said it was on he top of the battery pack. It is the dual input charger that takes AC and converts it to DC. I think the parts you are showing are for taking DC from the motors during regen to charge.
I think your service writer may be confusing things. The unit above the front motor is the primary charger, and the ER trucks have a second one above the rear motor.

Service Manual said:
AC Charging

The SOBDM (secondary on-board diagnostic control module A) , also known as the On-board Battery Charger Control Module (BCCM) is a liquid-cooled component that charges the high voltage battery. High voltage battery charging occurs when the vehicle is not operating and plugged into an AC (alternating current) (120V or 240V) Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). During 120V charging the EVSE cordset is rated up to 12 amps or 30 amps for 240V charging depending on the household receptacle being used. It is recommended to use a dedicated electrical outlet to ensure adequate current supply for charging. A 240V ( AC (alternating current) Level 2) household charging station or commercial charging station can also be utilized rated up to 80 amps. The primary function of the Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module A (SOBDM) is to coordinate charging operations and convert AC (alternating current) from the EVSE to DC (direct current) .

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would also be concerned that if something in the charging system is broken DCFC could damage modules and make the problem bigger.
L1/2 and L3 charging are separate and use different pins on the charge port.

L1/2 must take the 120/240v supplied by the EVSE to the upper pins on the charge port and feed it through the onboard charger(s) to convert the AC from the EVSE to DC and then feed DC to the HVB which in your case and mine, sounds like this component has failed.

L3 doesn't go through the onboard chargers but delivers the DC from the DCFC station directly to the HVB through the lower heavy-duty pins on the charge port at the speed the truck requests. DCFC doesn't use the broken onboard charger at all.

In my case, L1/L2 charging doesn't work, but DCFC works just fine - it's just much more inconvenient and expensive ;-).

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm being told there are no SOBDM modules available anywhere in North America. Not good.
@Wildernesscoffee did you get your truck fixed up? Just curious what the lead time was.
Sponsored