A few questions as I wait...

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2023 F150 Lightning XLT -Ordered 10/3/23
I'm pretty sure I'll be switching from an Mach-E Premium SR to a Lightning in January once the federal rebate becomes available at point of purchase. I have a few questions that'll help when I need to place my order in November (most likely).

For those who have or had a Mach-E, is there anything you’ve missed with moving to the Lightning? (I know parking will not be as easy, but I typically park away from people anyway so for the most part I'll be OK with that).

I’m looking at the XLT trim as I really want to go back to cloth. The base 311A package without any other options will keep me under the $55k threshold to be eligible for an additional $1500 rebate in my state. Not a requirement, but would be nice to have...

In order to keep it under that price point, I'd have to skip on the spray-in bed liner. My dealership "has a place" locally that does it and they have a lifetime guarantee on it - has anyone gone the 3rd party route on the spray-in bed liner? How does a spray in compare to a drop-in liner?

Does not having a bed cover affect range much? I know that used to be a thing with the ICE pickup.. The only thing I'll be transporting regularly in the bed is a mountain bike, so most of the time I wouldn't want a cover because I'd be in and out of there almost daily. Is it worth getting one for longer trips or does it not make much of a difference?

Do the 18” vs 20” wheels make a noticeable difference on range or comfort? Aside from the 20s looking a bit nicer (IMO) any functional or ride quality benefit of 20 over 18? I'm most likely going 18's just because I can't justify the 312A package. (I have Copilot on my MME and rarely use the features. I'm fine with standard cruise control).

Wireless phone charging isn't an option on the XLTs.. is it something easily added afterwards (for a factory look?)

How’s the audio on the XLT? I have the B&O system in my MME and it sounds good - not perfect. I’m not an audiophile, but I don’t want to go back to anything bad either.

I think that's it for now - thanks all! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I have a Mach-E and a Lightning, and without a doubt, the Lightning is better in every way, hands down. You won't miss your car. The only plus to the Mach-E is the smaller physical footprint.

Aftermarket spray in liners are better than the Ford factory spray in. A drop on liner offers more protection but is very slippery.

There are opinions either way, but I don't think a tonneau covers affects range much, but I have one anyway. I want the security of being able to leave stuff in my bed with protection from the weather.

The 18" wheels should offer better range for the simple fact that they weigh less.

I'm not up to speed on the standard options for XLT, but going from a Mach-E to a Lightning, I would make sure it has the 360 degree cameras.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
You might want to look at the cost of the add-on's from 3rd party and compare that to the savings from that $1500 rebate. You might be better off selecting options and forgo the state incentive.

And I'll second the 360 camera, I really missed it when driving a loaner ICE F150 that didn't have it.

OP
OP
hls811

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a Mach-E and a Lightning, and without a doubt, the Lightning is better in every way, hands down. You won't miss your car. The only plus to the Mach-E is the smaller physical footprint.

Aftermarket spray in liners are better than the Ford factory spray in. A drop on liner offers more protection but is very slippery.

There are opinions either way, but I don't think a tonneau covers affects range much, but I have one anyway. I want the security of being able to leave stuff in my bed with protection from the weather.

The 18" wheels should offer better range for the simple fact that they weigh less.

I'm not up to speed on the standard options for XLT, but going from a Mach-E to a Lightning, I would make sure it has the 360 degree cameras.
Thank you! Awesome feedback... and the XLT does have the 360 cameras - that's a must have for parking... What its missing with CoPilot is: Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Information System with Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane-Keeping System, Rear View Camera, Auto High-Beam Headlamps.

OP
OP
hls811

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You might want to look at the cost of the add-on's from 3rd party and compare that to the savings from that $1500 rebate. You might be better off selecting options and forgo the state incentive.

And I'll second the 360 camera, I really missed it when driving a loaner ICE F150 that didn't have it.
Agreed... the after-market is actually the same price, I was just more curious about how good it is vs the Ford version.. $1500 isn't a dealbreaker on the truck so I'd have no issue forgoing it if needed..

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ProPower 9.6kW and 360 cameras where my must haves. I would have added power steps had I waited and ordered. It's a $250 add and they cost $1000'ish aftermarket.

OP
OP
hls811

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ProPower 9.6kW and 360 cameras where my must haves. I would have added power steps had I waited and ordered. It's a $250 add and they cost $1000'ish aftermarket.
I'm ok without the 9.6kw - I can't see it being something I'd use; its not a work truck for me, and I don't know the practical use - it would be a nice insurance policy considering I don't have a home generator. (Side question - does it need to use the Ford charger for that to work, or would it go through a Chargepoint as well?)

360 camera is standard on XLT and up, definitely a must have nowadays. I don't even see the power step as a option, could be that its not available on the XLT, but yeah - with that price difference it would be great.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... it would be a nice insurance policy considering I don't have a home generator. (Side question - does it need to use the Ford charger for that to work, or would it go through a Chargepoint as well?)
The automatic back up has to go through the Ford Charge Station Pro. The majority prefer to just use the ProPower outlets with extension cords or to a backup sub panel (many posts on this).

I'm waiting for some of the other bi-directional charges to come to market. Wallbox and Emporia are two that I'm aware of, there may be others. No guarantee they will work with Ford's software, but I'm hopeful that Ford will allow it.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I don't even see the power step as a option, could be that its not available on the XLT, but yeah - with that price difference it would be great.
Power steps are only an option on Lariat ER and Platinum.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
I'm ok without the 9.6kw - I can't see it being something I'd use; its not a work truck for me, and I don't know the practical use - it would be a nice insurance policy considering I don't have a home generator. (Side question - does it need to use the Ford charger for that to work, or would it go through a Chargepoint as well?)

360 camera is standard on XLT and up, definitely a must have nowadays. I don't even see the power step as a option, could be that its not available on the XLT, but yeah - with that price difference it would be great.
I recently had my FCSP installed. You do not really need it for the MSRP price. If you can get it for $600 I would, otherwise, I would consider getting the new Tesla charger when it comes out. Because you're getting an XLT you do not need or can use the full 80A that the FCSP can provide.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I recently had my FCSP installed. You do not really need it for the MSRP price. If you can get it for $600 I would, otherwise, I would consider getting the new Tesla charger when it comes out. Because you're getting an XLT you do not need or can use the full 80A that the FCSP can provide.
Being an XLT doesn't matter. It being a standard range means it can only accept 48 amps.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you go with XLT, you have Sync4, not 4A like the Mach-E. That’s the main reason I went with the Lariat - so both vehicles would have the same system. That may not matter to you since you’re giving up the Mach-E.

Whether or not a truck can charge at 80A depends on whether it’s an SR or ER, not the trim level.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a Mach-E First Edition for about 2.5 years now and have had a Lightning Lariat for about 10 months. I prefer the Lightning in almost every way, but there are a couple of things I prefer with the Mach-E. The two things I prefer about the Mach-E are how easy it is to find parking as someone who lives in the city (and I wish the truck actually fit in my garage, so it wasn't stuck parking on the street). The other thing I like better with the Mach-E is the walk-away lock feature, since I often forget to lock my truck, since the Mach-E is our daily driver and I have gotten so used to just walking away without thinking about locking. Other than that, I prefer the truck in almost every single way.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
If you go with XLT, you have Sync4, not 4A like the Mach-E. That’s the main reason I went with the Lariat - so both vehicles would have the same system. That may not matter to you since you’re giving up the Mach-E.

Whether or not a truck can charge at 80A depends on whether it’s an SR or ER, not the trim level.
Yes you are correct. The ER comes with the extra charger. In this use case, I don't believe he is opting for the ER battery based on the MSRP target specified.

OP
OP
hls811

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hadn't thought of that.. I do like 4A, I don't really know what Sync 4 looks like - but I use CarPlay most of the time anyway, and as nice as the big screen in the MME and Lariat is, I actually am looking forward to having buttons and dials again.

I have a Mach-E First Edition for about 2.5 years now and have had a Lightning Lariat for about 10 months. I prefer the Lightning in almost every way, but there are a couple of things I prefer with the Mach-E. The two things I prefer about the Mach-E are how easy it is to find parking as someone who lives in the city (and I wish the truck actually fit in my garage, so it wasn't stuck parking on the street). The other thing I like better with the Mach-E is the walk-away lock feature, since I often forget to lock my truck, since the Mach-E is our daily driver and I have gotten so used to just walking away without thinking about locking. Other than that, I prefer the truck in almost every single way.
Good to know! Parking in some places may be an issue, but luckily, I'm not a city-dweller so small, parallel parking spots shouldn't really be a problem that often (and still have my wife's car). I don't park in a garage at home now, so that's fine.. and after I found 2 small dings in the passenger door of my MME the week I got it, I literally park all the way in the back of the lot at work away from everyone. I've gotten into that habit most places I go now. Walking is healthy. :)
Interesting about the walk-away feature. I use PAAK often so don't have my keys on me and let it lock.. I guess I'll need to adjust and maybe go back to the FOB. Locking/unlocking with the phone isn't as simple.

Yes you are correct. The ER comes with the extra charger. In this use case, I don't believe he is opting for the ER battery based on the MSRP target specified.
Correct.. I'm going SR.. I have SR with the MME and its fine for me and my regular commuting. If I took a longer trip, I'd need to stop anyway, so no need to spend the extra $$$...
Sponsored