• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any range gain within spare removed?

dustintinsley

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I know it doesn't remove much weight but it surely affects aero. Anyone remove their spare and test to see if there is any potential to gain a little range? Understand the "no spare is not smart" debate and I am good with not having a spare tire....
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I know it doesn't remove much weight but it surely affects aero. Anyone remove their spare and test to see if there is any potential to gain a little range? Understand the "no spare is not smart" debate and I am good with not having a spare tire....
From what I hear, weight does not make much of a difference in range. If removing spare and smoothing out the bottom happen to make significant difference at high speed, you could put the spare in bed and have it all. That is if you don't use all the space in bed for other things.

For me personally, there is not much incentive to try it since most of my drives are on local roads and in summer I have been getting 2.7-3.6.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Weight does little to nothing to the range. I really can't see the tire under the truck making much in the way of aerodynamics.

That’s what roadside service is for
That's a very debatable topic. Roadside service could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 10hrs wait. And if the tire has damage that can't be repaired, you're now getting towed somewhere, and still don't have a tire to replace it. Maybe none of this is an issue.

This a strategy and risk that's up to you to decide how important or vulnerable you are. Where you drive, how far from home, how far from service, do you have cell service where you drove, kids/family in the truck.

IMO, there's nothing to gain by removing it, and a lot to lose.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I doubt this. If it did, ICE F-150 forums would scream this. They don't.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
That's a very debatable topic. Roadside service could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 10hrs wait.
Ford made a big thing about the Lightning being the only EV pickup with a "full size spare" as standard equipment (Rivian and Tesla made it an option) for the reason that as a working truck, it may be likely that one may be in a place with a flat where roadside assistance is a long wait or not an option (no cell service to call).

Then they provided a jack that can't safely lift a three ton vehicle.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Not sure exactly how much improvement I got, but I feel the underside is quieter and the airflow is definitely smoother by putting a hard plastic cover on the spare. Looks better from the rear too.

Don't remove the spare, aero will be significantly worse. Bumper would act like a parachute. Best to smooth the air with this since weight isn't a big consideration.

This one fits perfect and I've had zero issues for a year now.

Hummer H3-33" Rigid Tire Cover (Plastic Face & Vinyl Band) - Black Textured
https://a.co/d/5vjUYAW

Ford F-150 Lightning Any range gain within spare removed? IMG_8236
Ford F-150 Lightning Any range gain within spare removed? IMG_8237
Ford F-150 Lightning Any range gain within spare removed? IMG_8238

OP
OP

dustintinsley

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure exactly how much improvement I got, but I feel the underside is quieter and the airflow is definitely smoother by putting a hard plastic cover on the spare. Looks better from the rear too.

Don't remove the spare, aero will be significantly worse. Bumper would act like a parachute. Best to smooth the air with this since weight isn't a big consideration.

This one fits perfect and I've had zero issues for a year now.

Hummer H3-33" Rigid Tire Cover (Plastic Face & Vinyl Band) - Black Textured
https://a.co/d/5vjUYAW

IMG_8236.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg
IMG_8238.jpeg
Nice idea. $200 for a tire cover though?

Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Nice idea. $200 for a tire cover though?
Yes. Looks better at a minimum and protects the tire. Definitely smooths air. I get 2.3-2.4 highway now, but I also have lowered it two inches and much lighter wheels.

but there is a reason the Teslas and Lucids are baby butt smooth underneath. I was actually surprised at how rough the area behind the rear half shafts was.

anyway. Up to you, but it 100% doesn't hurt and does look cleaner and functions cleaner.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dustintinsley

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. Looks better at a minimum and protects the tire. Definitely smooths air. I get 2.3-2.4 highway now, but I also have lowered it two inches and much lighter wheels.

but there is a reason the Teslas and Lucids are baby butt smooth underneath. I was actually surprised at how rough the area behind the rear half shafts was.

anyway. Up to you, but it 100% doesn't hurt and does look cleaner and functions cleaner.
Thanks. I will look into one for sure.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
I was thinking of put it in the bed just for ease of access.
Sponsored