Sponsored

AP Article: Charging Cable Thefts Hurting EV Market

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
I think this is a pretty obvious outcome to an industry that largely relies on unmanned stations to keep costs lower/profits higher. Of course, like the article mentions, it's not really the network operator that suffers but the consumer who can be severely delayed when a station is heavily vandalized. Also those people stealing cables suck.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Some loser was stealing copper tubes from people's running airconditioners so it's no surprise. These same type of losers will also steal live lines from substations and win a Darwin. Just like cats though, look towards the yards taking in questionable loads.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
There is an EA station in Las Vegas that I have occasionally used that is currently worthless because its four dispensers have ONE charging cord, and it is for the CHAdeMO connector. This situation has existed for months, EA knows about it, and so far, not rectified it. This is especially egregious because, as you can see in the photo, there are multiple nearby services/food that could make this a good charging stop. This is the kind of thing that makes EA the worst company in America.

Ford F-150 Lightning AP Article: Charging Cable Thefts Hurting EV Market EA-LV-Bonanza

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
There is an EA station in Las Vegas that I have occasionally used that is currently worthless because its four dispensers have ONE charging cord, and it is for the CHAdeMO connector. This situation has existed for months, EA knows about it, and so far, not rectified it. This is especially egregious because, as you can see in the photo, there are multiple nearby services/food that could make this a good charging stop. This is the kind of thing that makes EA the worst company in America.

EA-LV-Bonanza.jpg
On one hand, it's terrible, but at least the vandals didn't mess with the poor CHAdeMO drivers. They need all the charging they can get.

Sponsored

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
The metal recycling near me requires your ID if you want to sell them copper.

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
The metal recycling near me requires your ID if you want to sell them copper.
same here, but you thing after the a$$hats who steal and strip the copper down to nothing recognizable...
You think the buyer gives af, or the police actually try to piece 2 & 2 together to chase a meth head who's gonna do it again tomorrow?

And on goes the vicious cycle...

Street justice is whats needed...

Sedawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT ER

EA-LV-Bonanza.jpg
So we can narrow down the thief to a Leaf owner?

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Cannot wait for robots handling the cords, washing the windshield (whole vehicle?), and zapping the criminals. Selling candy and pop, cleaning the restroom, dumping the trash, etc.

OP
OP
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Cannot wait for robots handling the cords, washing the windshield (whole vehicle?), and zapping the criminals.
My thoughts precisely! :D I was thinking of something like the dye packs that bank tellers are wont to give would-be bank robbers these days, which are timed explosives that hopefully blow up shortly after the robbers have fled the bank, dyeing them red. Maybe just as they have liquid-cooled cables, they could add an extra pressurized fluid level so that the would-be robber ends up semi-permanently dyed when a cable is cut. Or, as you say, a little robot squirting machine could roll around the corner and machine-gunning dye spitballs at the robber(s), clippers and cable in hand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The design of the charge stations will have to change to put the charge cable in a locked cabinet that requires a credit card or electronic key tied to vin to unlock.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The design of the charge stations will have to change to put the charge cable in a locked cabinet that requires a credit card or electronic key tied to vin to unlock.
Or the European model where you bring your own cord🤷‍♂️

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
That’s only for level 2 charging. European DC chargers all have cables.
I know, but doesn’t mean they can’t design them to be plug and play. If they are going to be “redesigning the station”. All they need to do is design a quick connect plug that also allowed for the liquid cooling to transfer too. Easy peasy.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
So we can narrow down the thief to a Leaf owner?
I resemble that remark! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Had a 2012 Leaf since Dec 2011, never used a public charger, never used a CHAdeMO charger, never had any issues with the Leaf, except when AT&T dropped the 2G and then the 3G cell service it used for telemetrics that I only used for keeping track of my efficiency (no subscription required, btw).

Yes, not a lot of range (70-100 miles on a full charge, with a tail wind, going down hill, lol) and they didn't do well in extremely hot climates (which is why I'd bet the odds are it was NOT a Leaf driver in Las Vegas) but the Leaf works fine here in the mid-Atlantic region. Made me happy when gas spiked to over $4.00/gallon here and I could say, thanks, but no tanks.

But on a serious note, I have seen some of the charger cords around here vandalized.

When I see that I think about the time, when first got my Leaf, and a guy pulled up next to me in a Chevy Suburban at a light, rolled down his window to tell me how much he just looooved burning gasoline (and dollars?) - I smiled, shifted out of ECO mode, and as the light turned green politely called him a "gas-hole," and left him in the dust with instant acceleration from my electric motor.

Change brings out the worst in some people, due to anxiety, ignorance and too much beer, I suspect.
Sponsored