• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery module recall first 3600 trucks

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
My brother in law had a “service vehicle soon” notification with reduced power to 20% and “pull over safely/don’t drive” message occur twice in one day on his 2022 511A lightning. He unplugged 12 volt battery once before when this message occurred and it seemed to drive fine for about a month after that.

Then just the other day the notice and reduced power occurred again, he has a repair garage and super high end car scanner, so he used it to scan his truck.

It identified the code:
“Battery Energy Control Module”
POB24-21 | Hybrid/EV Battery A Voltage Unstable - Signal Amplitude < Minimum - Current DTC - Warning Lamp On.”

He took his truck in to local dealership after that and they have told him he had a recall on his battery so they are replacing one of the battery modules that is bad.

I believe this incident has occurred with several owners of the early build trucks, and likely well documented on this forum. However what I found that was interesting is when I called my local dealership about the light bar recall I received a notice from FORD about,

The service department let me know I had 4 recalls listed for my truck:

1. wiper motor (I think all the f150’s have this ICE and BEV)
2. Rubber Matt behind 15” screen
3. Rear light bar
4. Battery (can’t remember specific description)

Basically the service rep said this “battery” recall applies to all of the first 3600 or so trucks that were built and FORD has instructed the dealerships not to order parts or repair the trucks until the customer gets a failure notice on their truck.

has anyone else been aware that this is the case and are we all potentially waiting for a failure? Are all the trucks listed in the recall eventually going to receive replacement modules even without a failure? And is FORD able to identify exactly which modules on each of those 3600 trucks are the potential problems or is the entire battery at risk and possibly need replacing?

I follow this forum pretty close but hadn’t seen anyone mention these specific details regarding early build trucks.
I guess there’s two ways of looking at this:

1. it would be nice to think that if FORD knew my truck had a module or entire battery pack from a series of production that’s repeatedly having failures, they would proactively replace my battery versus let me brake down hundreds of miles from home possibly.

2. if eventually all these trucks are going to receive replacement modules or possibly entire battery replacements, then maybe I get to put 50-100k miles on my current battery before receiving a brand new one or new modules which is kind of awesome too if I never actually have a failure.

let me know what you all think or know about this
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The number of trucks seems plausible. It has been mentioned that around 4% of trucks built at some point have the issue.

Several owners here have been contacted directly by Ford and notified they have the issue and have been instructed to contact their dealer. So it’s not like Ford was trying to keep it a secret from those owners.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is probably related to the Battery Software CSP similar to the Mach-E.

Fast87t

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
My brother in law had a “service vehicle soon” notification with reduced power to 20% and “pull over safely/don’t drive” message occur twice in one day on his 2022 511A lightning. He unplugged 12 volt battery once before when this message occurred and it seemed to drive fine for about a month after that.

Then just the other day the notice and reduced power occurred again, he has a repair garage and super high end car scanner, so he used it to scan his truck.

It identified the code:
POB24-21 | Hybrid/EV Battery A Voltage Unstable - Signal Amplitude < Minimum - Current DTC - Warning Lamp On.”

He took his truck in to local dealership after that and they have told him he had a recall on his battery so they are replacing one of the battery modules that is bad.

I believe this incident has occurred with several owners of the early build trucks, and likely well documented on this forum. However what I found that was interesting is when I called my local dealership about the light bar recall I received a notice from FORD about,

3. Rear light bar

Basically the service rep said this “battery” recall applies to all of the first 3600 or so trucks that were built and FORD has instructed the dealerships not to order parts or repair the trucks until the customer gets a failure notice on their truck.

has anyone else been aware that this is the case and are we all potentially waiting for a failure? Are all the trucks listed in the recall eventually going to receive replacement modules even without a failure? And is FORD able to identify exactly which modules on each of those 3600 trucks are the potential problems or is the entire battery at risk and possibly need replacing?

I follow this forum pretty close but hadn’t seen anyone mention these specific details regarding early build trucks.

1. it would be nice to think that if FORD knew my truck had a module or entire battery pack from a series of production that’s repeatedly having failures, they would proactively replace my battery versus let me brake down hundreds of miles from home possibly.

2. if eventually all these trucks are going to receive replacement modules or possibly entire battery replacements, then maybe I get to put 50-100k miles on my current battery before receiving a brand new one or new modules which is kind of awesome too if I never actually have a failure.

My 22 Lightning Lariat is in the 15,000 number Vin and I got The recall on the dash mat, light bar, and battery module/software. Today My Truck is at the dealer to address those issues and was given no Loaner based on Fords non coverage for it on these customer satisfaction recalls BS.
Then right before I took it in Ford Recall team called me and told me my Vin was in the batch for module replacement and they would oversee it through the dealer after they diagnose it by the code POB24-21. In the meantime, I'm inconvenienced with no loaner and waiting to see if it needs the battery control module or modules along with the software upgrade they all will get. The recall team claims it will most likely need the module or modules but, I have had no issues at 13000 miles. Now I'm in Limbo and waiting for the verdict and not happy! I really don't want anyone fiddling around with my battery on a brand new truck with 13000 miles on it and being so very expensive!! If it needs any modules then I get a loaner and hopefully, they fix it and I have no lingering issues after that I cringe to think about.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Just checked my VIN and it is 1307. So far I have not received notice from Ford or the truck. I’ve had all the recalls and CSP completed and no issues with modules to date. But hey, it’s still early and anything could happen. 🤞

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

It identified the code:

3. Rear light bar

The recall expands beyond the 3600, but the first batch sounds right. My dealer stated that inspection will happen before module replacement but for my truck they likely already know it will have to be replaced. I know this because they've already booked a loaner for me and indicated potential extended service time.

Given some of the documented failures, my guess would be they know something was wrong with a batch of batteries. At some point it SHOULD have been fixed but Ford is being cautious as they may not be able to pinpoint the exact fix due to the mess of supply chain issues back then and just trying to pump things out.

IMO, as long as they're taking care of me - I don't really mind. I'd be much more peeved if I was left stranded. Or left w/o a loaner, etc.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22

It identified the code:

3. Rear light bar

@Fryballin

all 4 of those should be in your vehicle dashboard on ford.com if your vin is associated with your account

also in the ford pass app

2 are recalls
2 are CSP (customer satisfaction program)
Ford F-150 Lightning Battery module recall first 3600 trucks IMG_0139

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Isn’t this what 23B57 is supposed to address?

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Just checked my VIN and it is 1307. So far I have not received notice from Ford or the truck. I’ve had all the recalls and CSP completed and no issues with modules to date. But hey, it’s still early and anything could happen. 🤞
Is it just the last 5 digits of the VIN?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My 22 Lightning Lariat is in the 15,000 number Vin
Just checked my VIN and it is 1307.
Is it just the last 5 digits of the VIN?

Please note that production is NOT done in VIN sequential order, even the initial inventory of FCTP (demo) trucks were sporadically built amongst special orders through the first half of 2022.

Even now in MY 2023, the highest seen so far is PWG52421 @Danface has been scheduled for production on 10/15 [[10/25]] but my cumulative count now stands at 43984 trucks, so there are another ~8437 trucks yet to be built and those trucks will have VIN numbers scattered across the range.

[CORRECTION]

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery module recall first 3600 trucks 1697744493388

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery module recall first 3600 trucks 1697744035845

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I agree they are not strictly sequential, but they are definitely relative to their general order of production.

We saw the Same thing with Maverick production.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I agree they are not strictly sequential, but they are definitely relative to their general order of production.

We saw the Same thing with Maverick production.
Not really, look at all the current build week reports, I posted current watch reports for each week note the vin spans are diverse

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If our packs experience a problem after a significant # of miles but still within the warranty, say close to 100kmi. We could argue a new pack instead of just a module for proper balance.
Sponsored