• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery Temp... with pictures!

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have been noticing my battery temp higher than normal this year. But... I live in Vegas and it has been only slightly cooler than the surface of the sun for weeks now. Today I took a 32 mile drive and the temp was reported by the truck at 110. When I started the drive, the battery temp was just slightly above the mid-point but went up throughout the drive. I was mostly on surface streets with a little freeway.

Is this just normal? I have read a bunch of threads on here that make me think it is, but I am taking a road trip to LA tomorrow and am concerned about battery temps when fast charging. If the heat meter goes red, what do I do? I think power will be reduced, but can I still drive? Just drive... gently?

2022 Lariat ER Max Tow

Pix below. Apologies for the fuzzy coolant picture.

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery Temp... with pictures! battery tem

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery Temp... with pictures! fill line
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
First off, I would definitely put some coolant in as it is just below the minimum! I think you are probably OK if the temp stays between the brackets, but it is concerning especially with the max tow package(not sure if this helps in general without towing or just when charging or both). Hopefully other forum members have better information than I do.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I was listening to the "Now you Know" podcast. That was just the title of the episode.

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I always have wondered what the other symbol is ? the estimated temp of the next gas pump?

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
I do not have max tow and that is where my battery temp was towing in 110+ degrees. It is the only time I have seen the gauge move.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
I have been noticing my battery temp higher than normal this year. But... I live in Vegas and it has been only slightly cooler than the surface of the sun for weeks now. Today I took a 32 mile drive and the temp was reported by the truck at 110. When I started the drive, the battery temp was just slightly above the mid-point but went up throughout the drive. I was mostly on surface streets with a little freeway.

Is this just normal? I have read a bunch of threads on here that make me think it is, but I am taking a road trip to LA tomorrow and am concerned about battery temps when fast charging. If the heat meter goes red, what do I do? I think power will be reduced, but can I still drive? Just drive... gently?

2022 Lariat ER Max Tow

battery temp.jpg

fill line.jpg
I’m in Phoenix and my temp has been like your all summer. I would add some coolant to get the level between low and max but other than that you should be OK.

Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Same a @BSull. I believe the cabin AC pulled double duty tho. Did a test on my last trip. Diverting cooling to the floor will bring the battery temp back to normal range. I was able to duplicate the results several times.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Ditto what @BSull said, completely normal for desert temps in the summer. I've road tripped several times in 110F or greater, no problems. I do see slightly slower charging speed, it'll settle between 80-90kW instead of around 110kw after the initial burst. I've only charged using EA stations though, and usually get stuck on the 150kW cables so even the burst wasn't stellar. Can't wait to use Tesla SC soon (or if NM will get around to turning on the EVgo at the FlyingJ in Lordsburg).

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It does not hurt to leave early in AM for the trip if you can. Less juice going to AC and cooling for battery.

If you have OBD-II and car scanner, I love to see your inverter, motor and battery temps when you stop for charging during your trip.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

2022 Lariat ER Max Tow

battery temp.jpg

fill line.jpg
It is in the normal range so I am guessing that it is normal.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I'm sure the truck is programmed to protect itself from overheating. If the battery gets too hot during charging it will slow down the charge rate or possibly even stop charging.
Sponsored