Sponsored

Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual)

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
There is a Diagnostics Menu you can activate that shows all sorts of info on several of your modules including screen tests, cellular/WiFi connectivity, etc. This has been mentioned a couple of times here - one person used it to compare AM/FM signal reception of stubby vs. whip. I think it could be useful for those not getting updates if it shows you connected to cellular or not.

Update for 12" vs 15" screens
For the 15" Sync 4A screen, the sequence is similar to rebooting Sync. Just press and hold Vol(-) and TrackPrev (<-) steering wheel buttons at the same time until a little cartoon car pops up (about 6 seconds), then release.
Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 1722354744440-33

For the 12" Sync 4 screen, press and hold Steering Wheel Next track + Radio Controls Next Track at the same time for about 6 seconds, then release.
Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 1722355264996-23
Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 1722355050162-wv

Note that your audio must be on (radio source works for sure). Here are a few of the screens:

Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 20230813_235259900_iOS 1 (Small)

Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 20230814_002818518_iOS (Small)

Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 20230814_002933851_iOS 1 (Small)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
Thanks for this.

Jsfrye

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat SR
Has anyone tried the Front Height Test under the Local Diagnostic menu? Interesting results….

Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) IMG_7795

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I think you meant Font Height, not Front Height. :) What was the screen before that - that showed the different Locale tests?
Hopefully you were able to exit out OK!

rraustad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT SR
This did not work for me. The Vol (-) button is obvious, and I also pressed the |< (a vertical line with a triangle to the right of that line) button on the opposite side of the steering wheel. Nothing happened (well, the radio volume decreased and the radio channels changed). I then pressed the Vol(-) and >| button and it appears the system rebooted. The screen went blank and then showed the start up graphics (swirling blue graphics).

Ford F-150 Lightning Bezel Diagnostics Menu (undocumented in owners manual) 1713645810092-ua

Sponsored
OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
This did not work for me. The Vol (-) button is obvious, and I also pressed the |< (a vertical line with a triangle to the right of that line) button on the opposite side of the steering wheel. Nothing happened (well, the radio volume decreased and the radio channels changed). I then pressed the Vol(-) and >| button and it appears the system rebooted. The screen went blank and then showed the start up graphics (swirling blue graphics).

1713645810092-ua.png
The buttons you have circled are correct. You have to press and hold both for several seconds. (more than 6 I think). I remember in the past it hasn't worked but when I tried again it does. Timing seems key.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Has anyone tried the Front Height Test under the Local Diagnostic menu? Interesting results….

IMG_7795.jpeg
That's super interesting. I wouldn't think Ford sells many trucks in Arabic speaking countries but maybe?

There's a huge Arabic population in Dearborn, maybe an Easter egg from an Arabic speaking engineer?

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Diagnostics Menu you can activate that shows all sorts of info on several of your modules including screen tests, cellular/WiFi connectivity, etc. This has been mentioned a couple of times here - one person used it to compare AM/FM signal reception of stubby vs. whip. I think it could be useful for those not getting updates if it shows you connected to cellular or not.

The sequence is similar to rebooting Sync. Just press and hold Vol(-) and TrackPrev (<-) steering wheel buttons at the same time until a little cartoon car pops up (about 6 seconds), then release. Note that your audio must be on (button in Vol wheel).
Does this still work? Will it work with 12" screen? Tried several times, pressing buttons at same time, truck ready to drive, but only the Volume goes down to 0! Held for at least 10 seconds. Interested in testing how the short antenna changes the reception signals. Does CarScanner App cover some of these tests and data available? Thanks!

UPDATE: 240704 Yes, for my 2022 XLT 312a 12" center screen, press steering wheel arrow advance right and audio button fast forward at same time for ~10 seconds. Starts with speaker test, then shows Bezel Diagnostics menu.
Link to a bunch of the screens, mostly APIM Configuration Status:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jYMN1WM45U1f8WqU7

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Does this still work? Will it work with 12" screen? Tried several times, pressing buttons at same time, truck ready to drive, but only the Volume goes down to 0! Held for at least 10 seconds. Interested in testing how the short antenna changes the reception signals. Does CarScanner App cover some of these tests and data available? Thanks!
I have not tried it since April (see above post when another 12" screen had issues). I am away from my truck for several days so maybe someone else with a 15" screen can chime in. Could be that it was always for Sync 4A, aka 15" screen and not 12". I think it may be somewhat dependent on whcih button is pressed first or how simultaneous they are pressed. Sometimes it does not work for me either.

EDIT: Updated post 1 to show how to activate for both the the 12" and 15" screens.
Sponsored

Last edited: