• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blocking Teslas at Superchargers?

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
It’s a squeeze! But I got 170 kW+ from this Supercharger. Has anyone noticed that because our charge port is on the opposite side of the vehicle from Teslas, none of them can use the adjacent station while we’re charging? When we charge, we’re effectively blocking two charging stalls. Could be an issue when things get busy!

Ford F-150 Lightning Blocking Teslas at Superchargers? 1717349188627-l0
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
Thanks, @RickLightning. You’ve proven conclusively that most of what we discuss here has been endlessly debated before! Congrats! 🙄

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Well documented, the best practice is to use the right most NACS station and hopefully all other non-tesla EV's continue to fill leftward, minimizing the number of wasted positions.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I stopped at two Superchargers yesterday and could have used both without blocking any extra spaces. At the first one there was a grassy area with no curb to the right of the far right stall. I could have pulled the front end into the grass and used the last post but since there were 12 stalls and no one else there I blocked two. At the second the far left stall was on the side of the space so I was able to pull in and use it without blocking any extra spaces. For the two sessions the peak utilization at these 12 stall sites was 3.

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I honestly just block two spots, and usually park slightly diagonally to fit between the two posts and make the angle for the charger cable easier. If it's busy, by all means I'll try my best to fit in but if there's multiple spots then I just go where there's the most room.

I respect how considerate everyone here on the forums are, sign of a good community, but I wouldn't let that slow you down on a road trip trying to appease Tesla owners. At some point you gotta get in there charge, even if it means one of them has to wait, and get back on the road.

When it's been busy I usually just min charge at the fastest speed the truck will give me and press on to a less busy location. The Tesla app is pretty accurate for real time and forecasted business.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
@TheBigBezo

I’m also a Tesla owner so i have perspective from both sides. I haven’t received my adapter yet but from a Tesla owner perspective it shouldn’t be an issue at least until more Non-Teslas try to use Super Chargers.

As TheBigBezo stated just be considerate. If possible take the furthest right charger to only take up 2 spaces. If it’s a busy location with all stalls occupied just take in enough juice to comfortably make it to your next charge station.

Saying that I almost never see more than 60% of Tesla stalls occupied. Plus Teslas usually don’t dally at charging stations. Most charges are 15 minutes or less.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
I'd love the opportunity to contemplate blocking a Tesla (only kidding I'd do my best not to) but sadly I don't need to worry about it! Looks like Ford/Tesla are unable to keep readjusted adapter shipping dates!

Anybody gotten a second updated shipping time line, I was originally by May, then by June, now ....anybody's guess :-(

Ford F-150 Lightning Blocking Teslas at Superchargers? Image 6-3-24 at 9.52 AM

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Anybody gotten a second updated shipping time line, I was originally by May, then by June, now ....anybody's guess :-(
I was always a June delivery. I ordered a A2Z adapter two weeks ago when I realized I was going to lose the entire summer ...
Tesla controls the destiny of Ford's promise.
Not a good situation.

OtterJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I was always a June delivery. I ordered a A2Z adapter two weeks ago when I realized I was going to lose the entire summer ...
Tesla controls the destiny of Ford's promise.
Not a good situation.
My A2Z has been flawless, I think you'll enjoy it! :)

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Was trying out my A2Z adapter the other day and the charging site I was at had one station that was out of order. Was the perfect place for the Lightning to charge without blocking any extra slots.
I did notice that there was a Tesla pulled into the one spot on the end setup for cars with trailers without a trailer. That spot would have also worked for the Lightning or a Rivian.

So the courtesy message needs to go both ways - Tesla owners should stay to the left, avoid using the trailer spot if not needed, and avoid the every other stall pattern that could block other car model owners even when the location is only 1/2 full.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The problem is that apparently they've been trained (Pavlov's dogs?) to use every other station because the V2 locations shared power. That's no longer true on V3 or V4, but they haven't been told that.

Redwood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER
My A2Z has been flawless, I think you'll enjoy it! :)
Did the same! My delivery is slated for August (and the expected delays afterwards). A2Z had some decent discounts (search google for coupons) and I picked up the L2 adapter as well in a combo package. Tried it out last weekend; it was a tight fit but worked very well.

Heybucket

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I got my A2Z over weekend, still have June Ford date (original May), but not holding my breath and have a few camping trips in next few weeks.

the A2Z hasn't been perfect, having difficult time locking onto NACS and not faulting at truck (red ring). Hoping it "breaks in" and is easier in future, so far only 2 charge sessions and both took multiple tries to get it to connect. used Plug n Charge, and once I was able to lock adapter to NACS it was easy.

In regards to blocking, as everyone states, use the far right station if possible. And at least in the one I used, one bank of stations was in middle of parking lot so other side was "regular parking" I just parked parallel to stations and charged on "other side" so no extra spots taken. I actually saw a Tesla towing a motorcycle do it first! One thing I was amazed at was how quick all the Tesla's were coming in and out. It seemed for my 30 min session, maybe a dozen were in less than 15 min. just lots of cars coming and going.
Sponsored