First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I love bluecruise. Even V1.0. I use it every day. I made the mistake of letting The Wife drive it on a road trip, and now she wants a mach E. Probably wouldn't spring for a yearly subscription, but it's definitely worth a $50 charge for a road trip. I just drove a Tesla with FSD. Not a fan.
Sponsored

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
What does that mean "If BC is technically available beyond 7 years, no additional cost will be required"

Is this a lifetime subscription? I'd be into that.

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Avalanche Gray
Lots of folks complaining about updates here but frankly if you are not buying it for what it provides at the time of purchase then you doing it wrong.

Perfectly fine to be frustrated with the updates but NEVER buy something for what it MAY offer, buy it for what it DOES offer.
I agree that you should never buy it anything based on the premise of future functions.

That being said, a subscription is an entirely different product with what I perceive to be different end goals.

I buy a subscription with an expectation that 1) my ownership is finite because 2) the developer is making continuous improvements to the service.

Microsoft office 365 provides continuous updates with a sub as does Adobe. Netflix content changes all the time. If I buy Microsoft Office 2024, I retain the use of the software for my lifetime.

Thus, why should I pay for Bluecruise 1.3 if the software being used to run it isn’t changing or being improved? I don’t get the sense that the “mapped” divided highways affects my hands free availability because I’ve seen the system navigate areas with road construction where it clearly should have violated where a highway lane would have been mapped.

arbitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I will never pay a dime for Bluecruise if my 2023 Lariat ER is still stuck on BC 1.0 when my trial ends.

How am I supposed to know if I want to pay a BC subscription after my trial has ended if you're only giving BC 1.4 to the 2024's

Fords OTA updates are so chaotic and unorganized it feels like they have abunch of interns from another country managing the OTA updates.

Sponsored

Mache_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariet ER, '18 Subaru WRX STI, '25 BMW i5 (RIP 21 MachE GT)
Occupation
Finance
Kudos on better pricing analytics from your financial analyst or pricing teams to get the volume/price point better dialed in. Still hard to pay more per month than an [HBO] Max subscription for hands free driving.

If there was more consistent and frequent updates to EARN our money and get customers excited for better performance, may be worth $50 a month, but as many have said once I see SOMETHING beyond 1.0 I may get more excited to subscribe someday.

$50 a month is just too much for lite use daily commute but maybe for a splurge on a long road trip to pay the month (like the EA monthly subscription...only pay it on a road trip month).

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
I’m curious how this will work for 2024’s still on the lot with the $2100 3-year option on the window sticker.

Will Ford reduce the price to $1485 ($495x3)?

Or will I have the option to pay an extra $395 to upgrade it to “lifetime?”

Seems shitty to overpay for the service just because the sticker was printed before the price decrease.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
Cut it in half from this new price point and I'll probably keep it next August when my 3 year trial is up
Back in July on the Mach-E forum, and here in August, I said that Ford had computed the take (acceptance rate) wrong, and this is the result.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ghtnings-by-end-of-the-year.21048/post-415422

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...aying-800-yr-for-bluecruise.37314/post-824724
I agree, I'm betting that the the renewal rate from the Lightning early adopters has been way below expectations and that since '24s they've only been offering 90 day trials, the renewal outlook is very poor. The reality is that Ford needs money to continue the development of BlueCruise, but unfortunately the offering is so poor that no one is willing to take a chance. My 90 day trial is up in a few weeks and there is 0 chance I'll give them a penny for it. IMHO, it's not just not worth the cost, I believe the system is dangerous in its current state. In the future, if Ford decides to deliver significant functional improvements, I'd try it again, but only if they offered a free 30 day trial to check it out. I wouldn't even cough up $50 for a month to try it, but maybe $10.

Even Tesla had problems funding the continued development of FSD. They continued to push it as a lump-sum option, kept pushing the price up, and fewer and fewer people were biting. They moved to a monthly subscription option and there have been a lot of takers. We have 2 Teslas and we purchased FSD outright on one for $8k, the other we subscribe for a month at $99 if we are going to take a road trip in it. I'm happy with the $8k purchase as it's my daily driver and I use it every single day. Of course I'll have to keep it for 6 years, 9 months to break even on the subscription model, but it's likely I will. Even if I decide to replace the vehicle or it gets totaled, I'm grandfathered in for it to be transferred to a new Tesla at any time, not just during quarter end when they're trying to make numbers.

theotherdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Explorer ST, 24 Mach-e Rally
Occupation
CIO
Even at this price reduction…the current lack of features and its uselessness to roads in our area we drive…it is not a mature enough product yet to deserve these prices. A drop to $25mo or ~$200 year would be closer to what it actually does. It’s nowhere close to T$LA FSD offerings yet….
All this is of course is JMHO.
I don't know. I drove a couple of different Tesla's as company cars for a year and a half. Compared to FSD, I think BlueCruise is WAY better - of course, that assumes it actually works on the roads you drive on. But so far I find it GREAT. Tesla FSD still doesn't even let you take your hands off the wheel.

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
Has anyone compiled a pricing comparison of the various ADAS level 2+ (handsfree) systems? I wasn't aware (until this thread) that SuperCruise was 25$ a month. BMW's system seems built into the cost of the option. Jeep has one and it doesn't look like it's a subscription. Just trying to figure out how far "off of market" Ford really is with this (even with the price decrease).

Sponsored

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
I don't know. I drove a couple of different Tesla's as company cars for a year and a half. Compared to FSD, I think BlueCruise is WAY better - of course, that assumes it actually works on the roads you drive on. But so far I find it GREAT. Tesla FSD still doesn't even let you take your hands off the wheel.
That is not true regarding handsfree operation with Tesla's FSD. Any Tesla with an in-vehicle camera has handsfree operation. I own Teslas and a Lightning and FSD is many years beyond any capability of BlueCruise.

I have a 60 mile daily commute. BlueCruise potentially could work on 20 miles of the commute on divided freeway, in reality it works on about 15 miles of it. FSD works on all 60 miles, changes lanes to go around slower traffic, takes on-ramps and off ramps, stops for traffic control, and changes speed based on signs, road conditions, and traffic. BlueCruise can't even go around slow traffic without manual intervention.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
What does that mean "If BC is technically available beyond 7 years, no additional cost will be required"

Is this a lifetime subscription? I'd be into that.
You have to read between the lines here. They are only guaranteeing that BlueCruise will work for 7 years. What they are saying is that after 7 years they may terminate your service at their convenience. Whether that is to terminate all BlueCruise for all vehicles, just to say that they'll no longer update it on older vehicles, or terminate its operation completely on a vehicle that is 7 years old.

Just like your cell phone, at a certain point they no longer want to support the old stuff and will stop supporting it through not providing further updates. In this case, Ford could decide to brick the functionality at the 7 year point because they no longer want to deal with your old vehicle at all.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
Fords OTA updates are so chaotic and unorganized it feels like they have abunch of interns from another country managing the OTA updates.
You are likely 100% correct with this statement.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I probably won't subscribe if BC is as unreliable as it is currently. While it helps with driving long distances and in heavy traffic, I find that it cuts out and demands manual input too often. Mostly happens when the road/highway makes some sharper turns but also seems to cut out and return at random. Sometimes it works and sometimes it is off on same stretch of I-70. I'm not sure what version I have on my 2023 (February manufacture) but I find myself driving with my had on the wheel same as when using lane centering. When my free subscription ends in 2027 I will re-evaluate but right now Lane centering with adaptive cruise control are what I expect to use.

lipnorth

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford 150 Lightning Lariat
Agreed, I have received many minor software upgrades but My Lighning's BlueCruise has not seen any of the improvements. Keep me current and I'll reconsider the value.
Sponsored