• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cell Level Testing of the SK805A (Lightning Cell)

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Unless these tests involve the vehicle they were designed in, being tested on the road, I wouldn't sweat it. You can make or break anything in a controlled environment.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Unless these tests involve the vehicle they were designed in, being tested on the road, I wouldn't sweat it. You can make or break anything in a controlled environment.
Knowledge of precisely what breaks them can be applied to their use within the vehicle to determine "best" practices for longevity. Hence his comment about small charge deltas and try to keep under 45C (easier said than done in the SW).

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I will also say our testing takes us outside of what the truck allowed during our road testing. Do not expect me to make any more post about this specific cell, but I will entertain generic questions based on my 13 years of experience on testing a wide variety of cells
Are your comments generically about raw cells, or vehicle-specific packs with cooling and BMS?

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I charge to what I need. I don't worry about any of this. Until there are more shops out there that can do battery rebuilds and replacements, it isn't wise to keep any EV past its battery warranty.

Some day, I'm pretty confident, swapping out EV batteries in old project cars will be as common as engine swaps are today. We just aren't there yet. I'll be sticking to trading EVs in before half of their battery/powertrain warranty is gone.

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Mickey's the expert and I will be the first to admit that the plural of anecdote is not "data", but I have 53k miles on a 23 platinum. Just ran FDRS battery diagnostic and the pack is still showing 100% health and a capacity of 396.4 Ah...whatever that means.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
For those that asked, my interpretation of this is the delta he is talking about is the charging difference (ie cycling the battery from 10-90% is a larger delta than 40-70%).
I was under the impression that "delta", when talking about battery packs, referred to the variation in state of charge between individual cells in a pack, particularly when under load.

But I agree this thread isn't particularly useful with the amount of information given.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Mickey's the expert and I will be the first to admit that the plural of anecdote is not "data", but I have 53k miles on a 23 platinum. Just ran FDRS battery diagnostic and the pack is still showing 100% health and a capacity of 396.4 Ah...whatever that means.
W = A x V, our battery is supposedly 400V, but maybe your car scanner gives a different number?
W = 396.4 x 400
W = 158,560
so 396.4 Ah should equate to 158.6 kWh, which is bigger than our battery is supposed to be....
I have read that our packs have 400V architecture but 370 "nominal volts" I don't know what that means. But it changes our calculation to 146.7 kWh which is still better than it's supposed to be, but much closer to being "in line" with the battery specs. Does your diagnostic show a voltage number?

Sponsored

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
This is the only useful and understandable post in this thread full of 3 pages of questions and non-answers or vague answers.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Really perplexed about this post. The tldr seems to be

ā€œIā€™m a battery expert and the battery Ford uses sucks and Iā€™m selling my truck before the battery warranty expires. Please donā€™t ask me questions as Iā€™m an expert and I canā€™t share any infoā€

Did I miss any parts?
Actually I think he said he was going to keep it for a while because 8 year warranty was good enough, but also that their tests exceeded the conditions that the truck's BMS would allow, so the batteries might last longer than his tests imply.

But it would be a lot better if he just said what he's allowed to say instead of forcing us to try to dig the information out of him.

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I would think the Delta reference is about how much the swing in State of Charge (SOC) affects the battery chemistry due to the intensity of heat building during the reversing of the electron flow, especially during Fast Charging, and the longer this goes on, the more heating and breakdown of the battery cell chemistry (but hopefully the Battery Management cooling system is counteracting some of that). So charge in smaller increments (Delta=change of SOC). Besides, using DC Fast Charging, is fastest for the first, say, 50% going in (staying below 80%), so less time spent charging on the road. I would bet L2 (240Vac, home/work/hotel) charging at a 9kW rate, should be less stressful for the battery cells, so going to 100% as needed (and not staying there more than a day) is fine.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I think Mickey is just trying to boost his forum Reaction Score with this thread. My reply will contribute one more to his tally. šŸ˜‚

Mickey, I do sincerely appreciate your history of sharing whatever information you feel comfortable sharing with us.
Sponsored