Charger recommendations for stand alone outside in New England

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT 2023 SR Equipment Group 311A
Hello! Getting serious about a 2023 XLT LIghtning and I'm looking into chargers. I'm interested in one thats good to be outside in an uncovered area (driveway but no garage) in New England. But I'm also hoping one of them in the list below qualifies so I can take advantage of some charger install incentives. Any thoughts?

Qualifying chargers for National Grid Incentives:
-ChargePoint HomeFlex
-Enel X Juicebox
-Smartenit SmartElec 4500 L1 or L2
-Wallbox Pulsar Plus

Thank you!
Sponsored

BriRi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Check State of Charge on YouTube. His best of 2024 list has 2 of those on it. Comprehensive reviews on his site of them as well.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
DO NOT BUY A JUICEBOX.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Ford Charge Station Pro, I believe it comes included with 2023 Extended Range trucks.

Mine is outside and is stand alone attached to a painted 4X6 post.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charger recommendations for stand alone outside in New England IMG_0464

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Ford Charge Station Pro, I believe it comes included with 2023 Extended Range trucks.

Mine is outside and is stand alone attached to a painted 4X6 post.

IMG_0464.jpeg

OP is buying an SR truck and wants to take advantage of TOU credit program with the regional electric company, only the four listed EVSE units are eligible for TOU program without compromising the FORD PASS account credentials.

Sponsored

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Too bad GRIZZL-E isn't on your list, it's a bombproof dumb box with no stupid wifi crap. Designed to be installed outdoors and survive Candian winters. It's $350 so if that's your out-of-pocket on these other chargers I'd recommend the GRIZZL-E.
Otherwise pick one with as little plastic as possible and that has a protective hood to store the charger end in.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
DO NOT BUY A JUICEBOX.
What did they do to hurt you? I've had a Juicebox for the last 2 years and it's worked fine. They screwed their app up for a bit, but the charger still worked. Being in Phoenix means it has a lot of heat to handle. Maybe they don't do well in the cold?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The ChargePoint Flex is not well reviewed. As was said earlier checkout State of Charge on YouTube.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I've had my chargepoint for almost a year with zero issues.
No network issues, never had to restart / power cycle it. Sits on an exterior wall of the house, so somewhat covered but definitely not inside.

It does integrate well with home assistant (if that's your thing.

Overall no complaints.

The ChargePoint Flex is not well reviewed. As was said earlier checkout State of Charge on YouTube.
As for not well reviewed, I'm not sure what that means, 4.5 with 5000 Amazon reviews and I'd say it's pretty decent.
Plus if you take price out of the equation it would won the State of Charge review you're talking about. The only thing he dings it for is lack of power share and only one charger per account. Not exactly something that reflects poorly on the charger itself.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
This is a review of the various chargers that you mention from Tom M. of the "State of Charge" blog. What he does is unique because one of his tests is for how well cables do in the cold. It is not as big of an issue for me in Washington so I use Clipper Creek (Enphase now) and am installing an EvoCharge.

Honestly, and it really pains me to say it, in your case I'd go with the Tesla Universal Wall connector, incentives be damned. You did say outside installation in New England, right? Just use the Tesla EVSE, it will work with the Lightning. Get the Lightning truck, though, you need a real one there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
This is a review of the various chargers that you mention from Tom M. of the "State of Charge" blog. What he does is unique because one of his tests is for how well cables do in the cold. It is not as big of an issue for me in Washington so I use Clipper Creek (Enphase now) and am installing an EvoCharge.

Honestly, and it really pains me to say it, in your case I'd go with the Tesla Universal Wall connector, incentives be damned. You did say outside installation in New England, right? Just use the Tesla EVSE, it will work with the Lightning. Get the Lightning truck, though, you need a real one there.
^^^^. +1 for Tesla Universal Wall Connector. The future will be Tesla NACS plug. The Universal Wall Connector It can EITHER charge J1772 and Tesla NACS as delivered. It has a 48 month warranty and it’s outdoor rated. It can be configured up to 60 amp circuit and as low as a 15 amp circuit.

MTcowpoke

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many diesels and a Lightning
Occupation
Rancher
As mags said, the Grizzl-e is a great outdoor EVSE. Get the dumb
Ford F-150 Lightning Charger recommendations for stand alone outside in New England IMG_1582
one, this is mine with wifi and I don't have that part working yet, I think distance from the wifi range extender. Absolutely no issues in 11 months.

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
I agree with @mags and @MTcowpoke the Grizzl-e charger is an excellent outdoor charger. I have the non-wifi 9.5 kW version mounted outside and use the ford pass app to schedule charging. We had several -35 degree c (-31 F) days in Calgary this winter and it worked just fine. Note that the cables they use stay flexible in cold weather. Amazon usually has all models in stock online if you decide to get this brand.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charger recommendations for stand alone outside in New England IMG_20231210_1229385

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hello! Getting serious about a 2023 XLT LIghtning and I'm looking into chargers. I'm interested in one thats good to be outside in an uncovered area (driveway but no garage) in New England. But I'm also hoping one of them in the list below qualifies so I can take advantage of some charger install incentives. Any thoughts?

Qualifying chargers for National Grid Incentives:
-ChargePoint HomeFlex
-Enel X Juicebox
-Smartenit SmartElec 4500 L1 or L2
-Wallbox Pulsar Plus

Thank you!
I love my ChargeStation Pro which has been installed outdoors in a wind-swept location in Maine since May, 2022.