Charging Cost at Ford Dealership is ridiculous

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I was visit my sister in law this week and went to a Ford dealership to charge the truck. It was label as $0.50 kWh/$0.50 per min. I thought it was $0.50 while charging and $0.50 per min while idle. To my surprised, it was both. The charger was around 60 kWh, so effectively, I was getting charge $1.00 per kWh. That’s crazy.

Now, imagine a potential EV buyer visits a dealership and ask about the charging cost. Ford dealerships are not helping EV sales. They are probably hurting it. I think Ford really should look at their dealerships and make sure they follow certain standards, such as standard or maximum charging prices.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
One dealership is not all dealerships.

OP
OP

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fair point. I think I was trying to emphasize that the charge pricing is/will have a negative effect on Ford EV sales.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Name and location? Curios to see whats on ther plugshare.

OP
OP

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All American Ford of Hackensack. In Hackensack, NJ.

Sponsored

BedFullOfElectronZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, BMW 3 series
Occupation
Engineer
I recently charged for free at McGrath Ford in Hiawatha, Iowa. They had two new DC charging units with two dispensers each (along with several AC charging stations) and one charger didn't work for me. While I was charging on the other unit, an employee came over and said, "I noticed you were having trouble with one of our chargers." I said yes, I couldn't get a successful session negotiation with that one, and he said he would report it. Best charging service I've ever experienced -- if only they were all well-attended (very few are). And no, I didn't buy my Lightning there.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Ford dealers, like Chevy dealers, and others can charge whatever they wish... but, I'll bet you'll find that your concern is not widespread. I've visited a Chevy dealer @ $6 per hour, several Nissan or Kia dealers with FREE fast chargers, etc.
On the other side, I've also visited a Mercedes dealer, with a Chargepoint unit, which was $1 per KWH. Crazy.
I also don't think anyone buying an EV from Ford is concerned about what 'their' dealer is charging, if they even have one... you'll likely never use a local unit, regardless.

Prices are different all across the country. A DOTHAN AL utility has two Chargepoints downtown and only charges 7cents per kwh. This is the same town where the Mercedes dealer is located : /

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Prices for level 2 charging at a dealership is pretty irrelevant, it is their new DCFC (new to Ford) that are now being installed that matters for travelers.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I was visit my sister in law this week and went to a Ford dealership to charge the truck. It was label as $0.50 kWh/$0.50 per min. I thought it was $0.50 while charging and $0.50 per min while idle. To my surprised, it was both. The charger was around 60 kWh, so effectively, I was getting charge $1.00 per kWh. That’s crazy.

Now, imagine a potential EV buyer visits a dealership and ask about the charging cost. Ford dealerships are not helping EV sales. They are probably hurting it. I think Ford really should look at their dealerships and make sure they follow certain standards, such as standard or maximum charging prices.
Fast DC charging, whether at Ford dealers or elsewhere, should be sufficiently more expensive than home charging or other day-to-day Level 2 charging, to make it unattractive as a means of primary day-to-day charging. Fast DC at $1/kWh accomplishes two things: shorter charging sessions, and last-resort usage. Both of these help insure that FDC charging is available to more people, anytime they need it: when too far from home charger, when long-distance road tripping, just needing charge in an hurry, etc., all of which justify a premium price for Fast DC. So what if it costs more than gasoline? It’s worth it for those infrequent times when it’s absolutely necessary, and invaluable.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Prices for level 2 charging at a dealership is pretty irrelevant, it is their new DCFC (new to Ford) that are now being installed that matters for travelers.
The last thing a Ford dealer needs is to have its chargers be an economical alternative to home charging. Ford Dealer fast-DC needs to be charging of last-resort; for emergency use, or use by long-distance travelers to support trips in areas underserved by EA, Tesla, etc.

Sponsored

petewatts

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired
It’s not just Ford, I went to a GMC dealership last month to charge and they were really nice the first time I charged. I went back a couple days later and the charger was blocked. I talked to the a manager and he apologized and said he would talk to his staff about parking vehicles in front of the charging station. We’ll see the next time I go there.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Cost at Ford Dealership is ridiculous IMG_2725

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It’s not just Ford, I went to a GMC dealership last month to charge and they were really nice the first time I charged. I went back a couple days later and the charger was blocked. I talked to the a manager and he apologized and said he would talk to his staff about parking vehicles in front of the charging station. We’ll see the next time I go there.

IMG_2725.jpeg
It's hard to know or tell exactly where that is at the dealership, is that the main entrance? Side? near service? The key is that it is put right at some sort of entrance. That may be the cheapest place to put it to get access to power, but reality is long term it will always be a problem. Chargers need to be placed away from an entrance, away from the most desirable parking. They need to be a bit out of the way, they need to be a bit inconvenient to a degree. I wish more of them would figure this out.

petewatts

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired
It’s not just Ford, I went to a Chevy dealership last month to charge and they were really nice the first time I charged. I went back a couple days later and the charger was blocked. I talked to the a manager and he apologized and said he would talk to his staff about parking vehicles in front of the charging station. We’ll see the next time I go there.

IMG_2725.jpeg
Update: That’s the side entrance right by the door they drive the new cars onto the showroom floor.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Update: That’s the side entrance right by the door they drive the new cars onto the showroom floor.
Possibly, the logic of this placement, is new owner orientation, more for sales/delivery procedures than routine energy sales.
Sponsored