• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Port Needs to be Replaced (New Truck Didn't Even Get Us Home from the Dealership)

VA Vikes Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I am a new member and first-time poster. I wish my first post was asking questions about bed coating solutions and tonneau covers, but, unfortunately, the new 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning I purchased last week didn’t even get us home. Apologies in advance for the long post (maybe it's just a rant), but I am beyond frustrated.

Last week my wife and I bought a new 2023 Lightning at a Ford dealership about 180 miles from our home. After completing the purchase on Thursday afternoon, the dealership turned the truck over to us with about 190 miles of range. I had no issue with that, and I understand that overcharging the battery can impact its service life. We planned to stop about half-way home to charge the truck to ensure we had plenty of range for the rest of the trip.

We stopped at a charging station with around 85 miles of range remaining and plugged the truck into a fast charger. The vehicle would not “connect” with the charger and the indicator next to the charging port on the truck was red. We tried several other chargers at the same location without being able to initiate a charge. We went to several other charging stations in town without being able to charge the truck on a DC charger. We also received a notification that the vehicle needed service soon and the FordPass app showed a Powertrain Malfunction. After six hours of driving from charging station to charging station and the truck almost out of range we left the truck at the local Ford dealership (not the same one we purchased from) at around midnight to make arrangements with their service department Friday morning. Given the late hour there was no public transportation available, and we ended up walking to a hotel a couple of miles away for an overnight stay we did not plan on having to make.

The following morning the dealership’s service department kindly fit us into their schedule. Later that afternoon we were told that the charging port on the truck would need to be replaced. The latest update I received suggests that they now have the part and may be able to make repairs in the next day or so. Fortunately, they arranged a rental vehicle for us without any hassle and we finally returned home Friday evening.

I understand that mechanical breakdowns on vehicles can happen anytime, but I thought my new truck would at least get me home from the dealership after I bought it. My wife, who was skeptical about the purchase anyway, is concerned that we may have gotten the proverbial “lemon.” I am a bit more optimistic about the long-term reliability of the Lightning, but am still disheartened by this experience, especially for a vehicle at this price point that is considered a flagship model for the Ford brand.

My family has almost exclusively owned Fords. This is my fourth F-150. Perhaps this will be a “bump on the road” in otherwise care-free ownership, or the beginning of a litany of issues and problems. Regardless, I have been especially frustrated this past week by the seeming lack of concern by the dealership that sold the vehicle and with the less than positive experience communicating with @Ford Motor Company customer service via chat about the issue.

Again, I apologize for the lengthy post, and I am sure my story is the exception, not the norm, for new Lightning owners. I am still excited by the truck and think it will work well for us, I just wish I could get it home.
Sponsored

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
Sorry to hear this. I had a similar issue in the early 90s where my new Explorer had the alternator go out late night in the middle of Indiana. The next day the Ford dealer worked me in and pull an alternator out of another new car and got me back the highway. Didn’t have any issues with that car after that.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Ford dealership about 180 miles from our home.
left the truck at the local Ford dealership
The dangers of buying at a far away dealer.

There was issues with the charge port lock and if it breaks then it won't DC fast charge. Your truck still might have been able to level 1/2 charge. Changing the port is the fix.

OP
OP
VA Vikes Fan

VA Vikes Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Sorry to hear this. I had a similar issue in the early 90s where my new Explorer had the alternator go out late night in the middle of Indiana. The next day the Ford dealer worked me in and pull an alternator out of another new car and got me back the highway. Didn’t have any issues with that car after that.
Glad to hear that your story with the Explorer had a happy ending. Hopefully this will be the only bump in the road for me.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER

There was issues with the charge port lock and if it breaks then it won't DC fast charge. Your truck still might have been able to level 1/2 charge. Changing the port is the fix.

Are you a car salesman or something?

Dealers should have to compete with every dealer in a 500 mile radius on price and service. If they believe that dealerships provide value over letting manufacturers sell directly then they need to put their money where their mouths are. (Frequently on their backsides, it turns out..)

This is a scummy dealer that didn't charge up a truck before delivery - probably because they knew the charging port didn't work after failing to charge it to 100% pre-delivery - and the OP is giving them too much credit. Name and shame, please!

The reality is that new vehicles frequently arrive at dealerships with some defect that needs to be corrected. Discovering and fixing those things before selling the vehicle is one of the few jobs a new car dealership has that actually means anything of value. Most of the time the defects are repaired and you buy your new vehicle thinking it came perfect from the factory. This one failed at it.

To the OP: You're going to love the truck once it's right. This is no big deal from the truck's perspective. It's just that the dealer is souring your experience!

Sponsored
OP
OP
VA Vikes Fan

VA Vikes Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I had planned to order a Lightning through my local dealership, but the truck I bought was built out just about the same. Turns out it was an order for a customer who didn't go through with the purchase.

We did figure out the piece about Level 1/2 charging at some point during our ordeal, but we knew that at that charge rate it would have taken hours to get enough charge to get home. Hopefully the new charging port takes care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is a scummy dealer that didn't charge up a truck before delivery - probably because they knew the charging port didn't work after failing to charge it to 100% pre-delivery
Why would they charge to 100? No reason to go past 90.

Unless they used a level 3 charger they wouldn't have known either.
Most dealers only have level 2.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
@VA Vikes Fan, a couple of things.

1) Your dealership is supposed to deliver the truck fully charged. Same as a gas vehicle with a full tank of gas. They did not. Why? Likely they knew of the issue.

2) If you buy a vehicle no where near home, your first stop should be the closest DC fast charger. If it doesn't work, turn around and go back. I bought one many states away, and did exactly that.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why would they charge to 100? No reason to go past 90.

Unless they used a level 3 charger they wouldn't have known either.
Most dealers only have level 2.
The truck should be delivered with a full, 100% charge. Period. That's what you pay for, just like a full tank of gas.

My truck had 87% the night before I flew in to buy it. I told the salesman to make sure he charged it to 100% before I arrived.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Did you order this truck or was it a mannequin? I suspect it was a mannequin or somebody's order that they bailed on.

That dealer may not have known the port lock was broken. Sales staff know very little about the EVs they are selling. But if they knew you were coming to pick it up that day it damn sure should have been fully charged like Rick said. My dealer offered to fully charge my MME I picked up in June and he knows I only live 20 miles away.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see nothing where this has been properly diagnosed as:

- an issue with DC fast charging vs. level 2 charging
- an issue with the connection of a DC fast charger to the vehicle
- or anything else...

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The truck should be delivered with a full, 100% charge. Period. That's what you pay for, just like a full tank of gas.
Unlike a gas powered vehicle where its ideal to sit with a full tank, it is not ideal to sit at 100% charge and Ford even mentions this.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unlike a gas powered vehicle where its ideal to sit with a full tank, it is not ideal to sit at 100% charge and Ford even mentions this.
When a vehicle is being prepped for delivery, it is fueled to 100%. Gas vehicles have always been this way, they are shipped with a few gallons in them, and are required to be fully fueled for delivery.

The OP came from hundreds of miles away to pickup his truck. The dealership knew that they were coming, and that they would be delivering the truck on that day. Therefore, the night before, the truck should have been plugged in and charged to 100% as required for delivery.

I'm sure you're not intending to imply that charging to 100% the night before a trip isn't ideal, because that's clearly false.

OP
OP
VA Vikes Fan

VA Vikes Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
@VA Vikes Fan, a couple of things.

1) Your dealership is supposed to deliver the truck fully charged. Same as a gas vehicle with a full tank of gas. They did not. Why? Likely they knew of the issue.

2) If you buy a vehicle no where near home, your first stop should be the closest DC fast charger. If it doesn't work, turn around and go back. I bought one many states away, and did exactly that.
One of the things that both my wife and I agreed on during the drive home before all of the charging issues is that Ford dealers need make changes to the sales experience for EV buyers.

First, I didn't find our salesperson very knowledgeable about the Lightning. I understand that every dealership has lots of vehicles on their lot and it is impossible to know all the minutiae of every one, but, Ford is practically wagering the company on EVs. Aren't staff at dealerships getting some type of training? When I asked some questions about maintaining the Lightning, the salesperson referred me to YouTube.

Also, I just think that a salesperson or service advisor should walk new EV buyers through some of the differences between a conventional gas-powered vehicle and an EV. Maybe other dealers are doing this, but that was not my experience.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One of the things that both my wife and I agreed on during the drive home before all of the charging issues is that Ford dealers need make changes to the sales experience for EV buyers.

First, I didn't find our salesperson very knowledgeable about the Lightning. I understand that every dealership has lots of vehicles on their lot and it is impossible to know all the minutiae of every one, but, Ford is practically wagering the company on EVs. Aren't staff at dealerships getting some type of training? When I asked some questions about maintaining the Lightning, the salesperson referred me to YouTube.

Also, I just think that a salesperson or service advisor should walk new EV buyers through some of the differences between a conventional gas-powered vehicle and an EV. Maybe other dealers are doing this, but that was not my experience.
The dealership should have helped you setup the vehicle before you departed, including setting up FordPass, adding your credit card for charging, etc.

It's unfortunate that you didn't have a chance to find this forum before you took delivery. The points you made are well-known, and have been since the Mach-E launched. There's a wealth of information here, including checklists that people make before pickup.

Ensuring the vehicle can charge at the dealership would be on that list. You drive over, they plug in, and you see it working.

Hopefully the dealership with the truck properly diagnoses the issue and repairs it.
Sponsored