• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cost to fill up your Lightning?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I've been tracking this since February, so far I'm averaging about a 9% loss, which is actual metered energy by Emporia remote sensor compared to what Fordpass says was stored in the battery pack.
I used to get those numbers (7-9%) but I think something is a bit screwed up about the info I am getting from the truck lately so I can't trust any of my results. I may have to charge to 100% and rinse and repeat and see what I get. But before I do, I am trying to understand what is crewed up. I will share if I come up with some answers I can support with evidence.
Sponsored

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Out here Los Angeles, our power is LADWP. (LA dept of water and power)We pay every 2 months first rate tier is 700 kwh. @.23 per kwh. above 700 is .26 per kwh. not sure what tier 3 or 4 is. but considering gasoline is approx 4.50 a gallon right now and A tank of gas is over $100.00 for less than 200 miles. I Average 2.5 miles per kw, I can fill up my 100kwh battery for 23.00 and still do approx 250 miles.

Rick

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That was certainly the case last time I considered TOU. I was paying $0.13 / kWh but if I switched, Night would go down to 0.9 and day go up to 0.36. Did the math and realized, I would be paying more to have less freedom. In winter, I like to charge during the day when it is warmer.

Also folks should not use what their truck is saying to figure out the cost per mile. Instead check what the meter/ power company / EVSE unit is saying. I just juiced the truck. The truck says it received 21.30 kWh but EVSE says it delivered 26.087. 22.5%. is a hefty chunk of loss. This means even though power company rate for me is 18 cents, it cost me 23 cents to charge the truck.

Disclaimer: everyone should do their own reading and math to figure out their loss.
And wrong, unless you charged to 100%.

Loss at level 1 is around 15%. Level 2 is around 7%. When you charge to 100% and cells balance, it often uses more.

My brother is trying to figure out if he should go on a TOU plan. He doesn't own an EV but it considering one, as he doesn't drive much and it's all city/back highway. @bmwhitetx I might hit you up this weekend after I talk to him and see what kind of information his utility provides. It would be interesting to set up a spreadsheet where he could punch in potential EV usage and see how that might affect the bill on various plans.
In 2018, prior to getting a PHEV, I evaluated switching to a TOU plan. Ours is peak from 11am to 7pm M-F. Without a PHEV, except for say 5 to 10 days a year, it made sense to switch, so we did.

We then moved elective usage outside peak hours. Laundry, dishwasher. With our EV usage, 78 to 82% of usage is off-peak.

sdchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum
San Diego rate is .409 under 350kw and .509 over 350kw. I get free charging at work so I utilize this as much as possible. Otherwise it would be close to, if not more expensive than gas at the current rates.

What grinds my gears is the rate from chargepoint at the park is 5 cents cheaper than my home rate. Tesla rates are also much cheaper if you charge early morning.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
And wrong, unless you charged to 100%.

Loss at level 1 is around 15%. Level 2 is around 7%. When you charge to 100% and cells balance, it often uses more.
Preconditioning also eats up additional electrons. Maxx babies his battery so I doubt he charged to 100%. I'd wager there was some preconditioning loss or just loss to keeping the battery cool while charging in general. My garage stays hot over night, often warmer than the outside by morning. Wife got up to use the bathroom one night and woke me up because she thought I left the truck running. Nope, but the AC was on full since it was charging.

Sponsored

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I try to sign up for Tesla or EA membership when I go on road trips to try to bring my cost down to 33 cents per kWH - 45 cents per kWh.

I also try to find hotels where I can charge over night while sleeping and even better if their is not charge for the electricity. I do make sure I am always carrying my A2Z Stellar AC - Tesla destination adapter with me to take advantage of those chargers.

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT w/Max Tow and TT Packs
My cost is $0 per kWh with 18kw of solar on my house. My utility gives me 1 to 1 credit for every kWh I push to the grid and I can bank unlimited kWh credits that never expire. Since I produce more than I use over the course of a year, I never pay for electricity. Of course, they charge me a monthly fee to be connected to the grid, but everyone does here. With no other utilities and 2 EVs, our cost and carbon footprint is as low as I can get it. (The solar system will pay for itself in 7 years... I'm 1.5 years in.)

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I always charge at home, decent rates, something like $.17

I just literally did a trip and had to charge at Electrify America - $.56
Holy Hat! $56!! Sticker shock. WTF?

Talk about Monopoly.

USVI_Lightning

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning (XLT)
Home grid charging at $0.43 per kWh here in the US Virgin Islands, with some excess solar production to offset. Still beats filing an F150 ICE at $4.79 a gallon.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I always charge at home, decent rates, something like $.17

I just literally did a trip and had to charge at Electrify America - $.56
Holy Hat! $56!! Sticker shock. WTF?

Talk about Monopoly.
Monopoly? EA doesn't have a monopoly.

56 cents is 48 cents with Pass+ membership. Did you look at Tesla prices?

Sponsored

Marcelo Zanetti

First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150; Ford F-150 Lightning; Ford Explorer;
Occupation
Electrician
I'm in ConEd territory, 11.82 cents with all fees included in my last bill. That translates to roughly $15.50 per fill up.
I'm going to look up if they have reduced tariffs off peak and if so, time my charging to make it even better...
Thanks for sharing.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Monopoly? EA doesn't have a monopoly.

56 cents is 48 cents with Pass+ membership. Did you look at Tesla prices?
They are really the only 2 options where I road-trip, so OK, "Dualopoly" :) If I ever receive my Ford NACS adapter, then I can look at Tesla prices (just one Magic-dock in my route) .

Either way, I know the F150 is not super efficient when it comes to MPG-E, but it still smarts when I can "fill up" a gasser for less $$.

$0.48 cents is still too much - Commercial rates at the EVSE I was fleeced at are $0.21, I get that they need to make some $$, but that markup is a lot - plus they are getting federal subsidies ... So whatever...

Last edited:

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
In Ontario Canada, we are on the ULT (Ultra Low Time of use)
11pm to 7am 2.8 cents/Kwh.
I'm also in Ontario and the ULT plan is great, but here's the full picture, which is still damn good. This is in CAD, so take about 35% off for prices in USD...

First, regardless of time of use, there is a customer ("regulatory") charge, a delivery charge, and the Ontario Electricity Rebate (basically a taxpayer funded discount) that adds about a net 4 cents per kWh on top of each of these:
  • On-peak rate: $0.286 (weekdays 11 am-5 pm summer)
  • Mid-peak rate: $0.122 (7 am-11 am and 5 pm-7 pm summer)
  • Off-peak rate: $0.087 (all other times except overnight, all day weekends and holidays)
  • Overnight rate: $0.028 (every day 11 pm to 7 am)
The on-peak and mid-peak rates swap times from the end of October to the start of May. If you're not on the ULT plan, but on time of use, the on-peak rate is $0.182.

On our August bill, we used 306.57 on-peak, 367.77 mid-peak, 250.72 off-peak, and 1,150.81 overnight, which is for charging my wife's Lightning and my Focus Electric (FFE). Oh yea, we tend to use the clothes dryer after 11 pm, but compared to the vehicle charging, that is somewhat negligible. August was a heavy air conditioning month, so our typical on-peak use is usually about 150 kWh.

Before ULT, we would charge anytime on weekends and holidays, but now only overnight unless absolutely necessary, which is very rare.

So, charging overnight costs 2.8 cents plus 4 cents per kWh, and then there's 13% HST added, so about 7.68 cents per kWh. The Lightning consumes (if I recall correctly) about 23 kWh/100 km while my FFE is about 16 kWh/100 km. That's about $2.30 per 100 km for the Lightning and about $1.23 per 100 km for the FFE.

If I recall correctly, the ICE Focus with standard transmission we had as our last ICE vehicle consumed about 6.8-8.0 litres per km. To be generous to the ICE world, let's say it's only 6.8 and using today's gas price in Toronto ($1.579 per litre), then that means an ICE Focus costs $10.73 per 100 km! I shudder to think what an ICE F-150 costs.

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Central Coast California, home SCE/3CEnergy $0.30 / kWh approximately, ($0.62 / kWh 4-9pm "on peak"), gas is $4.60 / gal. Why can't we tap into SW Washington hydropower and get our rates down (and raise theirs!)?
Sponsored