• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DCFC Hacking

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Do you all remember the Internal Research project a couple years ago where my friends in another division had a M-it-M attack on Level 2 charging? Well, they are back at it on DCFC :p Please note that I was not involved with this project, so I can't say how successful they were, but the 1st article I saw went WAY overboard.

Instead of pointing to the obvious click bait, here is the official news release from SwRI.

https://www.swri.org/press-release/...y-risks-associated-ev-fast-charging-equipment
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
this very thing, and some similar by-products, came to mind the other day during the 'Crowdstrike/Microsoft' unfortunate 'update issue'...

A) we plug our vehicles into a machine, run by software, which knows our vehicle, and our billing, etc., and we 'wonder' if things can go wrong... uh oh.

B) we plug our vehicles into a charger machine, which requires lots of 'power' to power our vehicles, all the while never contemplating what will happen when that unit, or the area, or the whole REGION loses power, and for hours, or worse, DAYS... just as we arrive with almost no power to get anywhere else.
(This actually happened several months ago coming down to Florida... a storm had just knocked out power over the LakeCity area of I75 in North Florida, right where I was planning to 'stop' to charge, along the way. I had to do some creative searching and re-planning to make it work, stopping much shorter than planned, and hoping to get 'thru' the power outage area with enough to make to the next charger... that certainly causes some Charge Anxiety.)

C) we connect SO MUCH of our LIVES to software, apps, computers, and social media... you get the idea.

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
I think grid independence with solar and battery back up, coupled with an EV provides more transportation security than gas alone because if the gas stations don’t have power or can’t get their shipments of fuel, i can still charge my truck at home and even off solar if the grid is down.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
this very thing, and some similar by-products, came to mind the other day during the 'Crowdstrike/Microsoft' unfortunate 'update issue'...

A) we plug our vehicles into a machine, run by software, which knows our vehicle, and our billing, etc., and we 'wonder' if things can go wrong... uh oh.

B) we plug our vehicles into a charger machine, which requires lots of 'power' to power our vehicles, all the while never contemplating what will happen when that unit, or the area, or the whole REGION loses power, and for hours, or worse, DAYS... just as we arrive with almost no power to get anywhere else.
(This actually happened several months ago coming down to Florida... a storm had just knocked out power over the LakeCity area of I75 in North Florida, right where I was planning to 'stop' to charge, along the way. I had to do some creative searching and re-planning to make it work, stopping much shorter than planned, and hoping to get 'thru' the power outage area with enough to make to the next charger... that certainly causes some Charge Anxiety.)

C) we connect SO MUCH of our LIVES to software, apps, computers, and social media... you get the idea.
Our lives have always been running on faith. Every time you get into your car or into an airplane, you have faith thousands of people involved in getting you safely to your destination ALL did their jobs perfectly AND hope ALL the things they couldn't predict go well too. Life is a big crap shoot and something will get us sooner or later. The trick is enjoying the ride before it happens.

Just to put things in perspective; my truck get zapped with DC a few times a year at most. My heart get zapped once every second. Which failure do you think is harder to recover from?

As far as digital world goes, some of us get to to sit on our booties and with a few clicks become millionaires (instead of breaking our backs in the river sifting for Gold). And when it comes to loosing it, I rather lose it to a Russian hacker or an out of control AI instead of getting shot by the river by a gold thief. Things are much better for most people in a digital world than it used to be. It is just that we are more aware of the bad things that could happen.

Ignorance is a bliss.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Spoken like someone who has never sucked gas through a garden hose. 😂
I really want to see someone try to siphon from a gas station. I'll use ProPower and my hot air popcorn machine for the show.

H8N-8NT-EZ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It seems to me that the threat would be a device that could be used like a credit card skimmer. If it's reading the transmissions between your truck and the charger and you are using Plug and Charge, what would stop them from spoofing your truck's information and charing using Plug and Charge on your account?

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Um, that's why I have 30g of stabilized fuel stored and rotated every month. Before I had the battery Backup system installed I had a 4k GenSet set up for emergency's. A Power failure come around I'd pull a 100' cord from my storage shed, pull out the GenSet, fire it up and throw the manual transfer switch. several nights over the past few years where I was the only home with lights, TV and Microwave working.

rockhead

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Flash
Occupation
Geek
WOW WTF What a joke. A man in the middle attack, on a wire, that is ten feet long, that is one incredibly tiny stealthy man.

Could this be done, sure, is it worth the risk when it catches up to you ? Not for me

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I have a commerical charger at home based on the Liteon EX-1193 and it has a built in webserver and access point. I often wonder how many out there still have the default username and password? BTW, The Ford Pro charger is the Ford branded the EX-1193.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
WOW WTF What a joke. A man in the middle attack, on a wire, that is ten feet long, that is one incredibly tiny stealthy man.

Could this be done, sure, is it worth the risk when it catches up to you ? Not for me
Think about a card skimmer dude... Not hard to put a shim on there without you noticing
Sponsored