Sponsored

DO NOT BRING LIGHNING IN FOR RECALLS! Truck is dead at dealer.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
And yet, Tesla can push monthly OTA updates to the entire car in 30 minutes without external power. IDK how Ford manages to make this stuff SOOOOO complicated and failure prone. The dealer shops must hate this stuff.
Monthly is a very low estimate. I get point releases about monthly and that is guaranteed to be followed by at least one additional patch 1-2 weeks later. I've never had to take it in or have mobile service come for a software update nor have I ever had trouble with one in either Tesla. I know there are reports out there of certain OTA updates bricking some Teslas, but they are few and far between.

In addition, I always end up with pages of release notes about what an OTA update is supposed to be fixing and what new features are being introduced. The general and very high-level blurb that Ford provides on the updates does not provide much insight as to what it does and whether or not I should defer the installation.

Do better Ford.
Sponsored

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
If you read that thread, the Tesla was not bricked, it just had a dead 12v. After the OP popped the hood and put a power supply on it, it started right up with no issues.

It's unclear if the 12v battery went flat during the installation, before, or after, but the reality is that the vehicle wasn't bricked.
There are plenty of other threads that have caused issues during updates. Itā€™s not the only one.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Didn't read the thread, but here are my observations over 3+ years of Mach-E ownership and 1.5 of Lightning ownership:

1) It boggles my mind that after all this time Ford keeps having issues with updates, both OTA and at dealerships.

2) Ford made Mach-Es for 2021, 2022, and then 2023. 2023s having low batteries seemingly due to software issues. Really? 3years experience.

3) Ford has a new process where tech has to get approval to order some parts, like an APIM. I had battery array replaced in May. Powertrain software applied in September (4 months!). GWM and APIM wouldn't update. Tech had to notify hotline and I had to get truck. Then bring it back a week later. Then 3 more days. Blew away my data. Didn't resize 360 image despite it being in procedure. Broke BlueCruise (I fixed with @rugedraw's help). Set clock wrong, messing up charging. 3 years experience by tech and Ford and still they screw things up and inconvenience customer. Getting old.

My confidence that anyone has a full understanding of how modules and software changes are impacted by updates wanes by the day.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
My confidence that anyone has a full understanding of how modules and software changes are impacted by updates wanes by the day.
Unfortunately, stories like yours and the one this thread are about are very common. This is why I think having a Mongoose in your toolbox is invaluable. It's crazy that fixing something yourself with the help of total strangers off the internet can be a more viable option than taking a fully warrantied vehicle to the dealer, but I guess it is what it is.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Unfortunately, stories like yours and the one this thread are about are very common. This is why I think having a Mongoose in your toolbox is invaluable. It's crazy that fixing something yourself with the help of total strangers off the internet can be a more viable option than taking a fully warrantied vehicle to the dealer, but I guess it is what it is.
Mongoose, pricey power supply, AND the subscription. But yes, I have considered it.

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
I took my 22 Lariat in for a ripped CV boot on the left rear. They were going to do the two CSPs one went with no issue, the other they are having issues getting it to install. They didnā€™t have the part to replace the CV boot, so now my truck is sitting at the dealer to see if they can get the software updated for a Monday pick up and then I will need to reschedule for the CV boot to be installed.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
This has been my experience with every vehicle I've ever owned. When I was young and poor the water pump of my 1991 Chevy Lumina went out in a place where I didn't have the tools or the time to replace it. I had it towed to a chain repair shop (might have been Midas) and told them exactly what I wanted, a new water pump. They insisted I needed a coolant flush and new hoses. I told them I was poor and they eventually agreed to only change the water pump. They only changed the water pump, a fact I discovered when my car almost immediately overheated. They drained enough coolant to change the pump but instead of putting it back in they put the full bottle of used coolant in the back seat of the car.šŸ˜”
Sponsored