• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Energy Storage/Whole Home Backup/Home Integration System (HIS)

Tinnemaha

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 E.R. Lariat & '06 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Retired
I love the concept of using an EV in general (&, of course, specifically a Lightning!) as energy storage. But I understand that making the concept a reality is a difficult & costly proposition; Any advice from those who have gone there?
Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
There are already quite a few threads and opinions on this topic on the forum. And you don't list a Ford Lightning as a vehicle you own. Are you getting ready to take the plunge, so to speak? šŸ˜€

OP
OP

Tinnemaha

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for the info; Will you please point me to those threads? I feel like the proverbial blind squirrel.

Yes, I'm getting ready to take the plunge on an E.R. Lariat with max tow pkg, but some of the final decision rests on the IBP/HIS

OP
OP

Tinnemaha

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If you are thinking about buying a Lightning, you need to buy one with Pro Power OnBoard. I bought a 23 XLT Lightning with the PPOB and no other options, not even the $500 charging cable. The PPOB system should be standard on the Lightnings in my opinion.
I thought PPOB is standard on all models. Someone please confirm. Now I'm even more confused.

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
I love the concept of using an EV in general (&, of course, specifically a Lightning!) as energy storage. But I understand that making the concept a reality is a difficult & costly proposition; Any advice from those who have gone there?
I have the HIS and with my solar, it actually charges the truck with the sun out during a power outage. This wasnā€™t a specific feature advertised by sunrun or ford but Iā€™m glad it works this way.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tinnemaha

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That's GREAT to hear, Pitbull! Who installed it? I'm currently under the impression that it's super complicated and not just any electrician can do the job. So I'm curious if that was your experience.

Dino

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning, 22 Volvo XC 60 plug-in hybrid
I thought PPOB is standard on all models. Someone please confirm. Now I'm even more confused.
PBOB that includes the bed outlets (240V) was a $1200 option on my 23 XLT Lightning. I looked at several Lightnings that did not have the 240V bed outlet.

Last edited:

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum, Ford F250, Rivian R1S
IBP is hit or miss. I have had the system for over a year. It works sometimes. Just when you think it will be reliable, it fails. I love the idea of IBP. Ford has not been able to tell me what the problem is with my system. The pro power is reliable. It is really frustrating to be in a power outage and see that your truck is preparing to provide power, but never does. Some speculation has been with bluetooth communication. When I make calls to Ford tech support, the answer ends up being that there is a software update which should fix the problem.

Add to this that there doesn't seem to be a national standard on how these home systems. Could be that your system will only be compatible with the Ford system. A home solar system with an inverter will power and charge your vehicle through any charger. Your truck will power your house with pro power and a generator plug.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
One thing to realize is that the Ford HIS is for backup power only. It does not do V2H when grid power is available.

I think ProPower is standard on the Lariat trim (group 511A) you are considering. Someone will correct me if thatā€™s not the case.

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
That's GREAT to hear, Pitbull! Who installed it? I'm currently under the impression that it's super complicated and not just any electrician can do the job. So I'm curious if that was your experience.
I installed with the help of an electrician so I didnā€™t kill my self.
He has no idea how the connections, schematics worked but knew the local code. So we just worked together. And then I pretty much trouble shot it with sunrun because this was over a year ago and nothing worked right. Lol

the other good thing is the inverter is a 10kw inverter and I have 8.4. I have an extra string open to add about a 5kw string to make my system more robust

Sponsored

Stonelew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Lexus Hybrid 2023 Lightning Platinum
One thing to realize is that the Ford HIS is for backup power only. It does not do V2H when grid power is available.

I think ProPower is standard on the Lariat trim (group 511A) you are considering. Someone will correct me if thatā€™s not the case.
All you have to do is flip the main.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
All you have to do is flip the main.
ā€œFlipping the mainā€ = grid power not available to the system.

The point is, you canā€™t use energy stored in the truckā€™s battery to feed back to the grid.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
IBP is hit or miss. I have had the system for over a year. It works sometimes. Just when you think it will be reliable, it fails. I love the idea of IBP. Ford has not been able to tell me what the problem is with my system. The pro power is reliable. It is really frustrating to be in a power outage and see that your truck is preparing to provide power, but never does. Some speculation has been with bluetooth communication. When I make calls to Ford tech support, the answer ends up being that there is a software update which should fix the problem.

Add to this that there doesn't seem to be a national standard on how these home systems. Could be that your system will only be compatible with the Ford system. A home solar system with an inverter will power and charge your vehicle through any charger. Your truck will power your house with pro power and a generator plug.
I would guess that the number of people with reliable HIS is less than 50, probably less than. 10, based on things I have read.

Forum member had his truck bought back when Ford and Sunrun failed to get his reliably working.

Last edited: