• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
The fault was on the truck, I was using the Tesla app, I didn't accept the new (total lack of) Privacy Policy on the Ford app
What specific behavior are you seeing when you initiate with the app? Does it hang at "attach adapter and insert"? Or does it immediately send you to charging history?

When you say the fault is on the truck, just so I understand, you're seeing the "charging fault" message in your dash when you get back in the truck?

If those are the signs you're getting, then it is very likely the adapter lock has not engaged correctly. You must make sure it's seated all the way in. There's usually wear lines on the NACS head from Tesla's charging, and those should be inside the adapter, aka its completely seated. It takes much more force than you may expect at first. Many of us put the adapter on and push it in by placing it on the concrete and pushing hard. Once it's in all the way, the locking mechanism underneath should lock (I believe it's when the slider is all the way toward the NACS cord) without resistance. Tesla must detect a lock before it'll send power, if it sees it unlocked it will immediately send you to charge history in the app, you may or may not see a red ring or gray ring at the charge port, and you will see a charge fault message on your dash.

Lengthy post but I would hate for you to have to go through a return process when you may be able to use it normally.
Sponsored

jeff_h

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Paint-Drying Observer
Many of us put the adapter on and push it in by placing it on the concrete and pushing hard. Once it's in all the way, the locking mechanism underneath should lock (I believe it's when the slider is all the way toward the NACS cord) without resistance. Tesla must detect a lock before it'll send power.
I have an A2Z on order so may end up doing the above, who knows. So question for those would have had to do this: if you need to push hard against the concrete to get the adapter seated properly, does that end up sticking in place and thus becoming wedged in there and tough to get out, or does it come right out when charge is finished?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have an A2Z on order so may end up doing the above, who knows. So question for those would have had to do this: if you need to push hard against the concrete to get the adapter seated properly, does that end up sticking in place and thus becoming wedged in there and tough to get out, or does it come right out when charge is finished?
There have been a few mentions of difficulty removing them, but it apparently gets easier over a few uses.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Don't push it into concrete...

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
There have been a few mentions of difficulty removing them, but it apparently gets easier over a few uses.
It does get easier. Only at first did I need anything considerable force wise to get them to mate up properly. Now that I've used it a number of times it connects without resistance and locks easily. Really, after the first few times it should work a lot easier.

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I have run into one station -- just one -- where no matter what I did I could not get the lock on the A2Z adapter to engage. It's a new-ish V3 station in Lagrangeville, NY with high curbs and large parking lot light towers arranged so that they're basically permanent, unremovable bollards which make parking geometry very difficult to charge a non-Tesla. I doubt it gets much use from non-Teslas anyway because its street address in PlugShare is on a private road neither Waze nor our in-car nav actually know about. It's actually in the parking lot of a supermarket that for some reason has a huge setback from the nearest public street.

This is actually a Magic Dock station but the A2Z adapter is just a little longer than the Magic Dock adapter and I wanted every millimeter I could get in order to avoid constant strain on the charge cable. But try as I might I couldn't get the A2Z adapter's lock to engage. Eventually I gave up, parked at a huge angle that made 3 spaces hard to use (sigh), and used the Magic Dock adapter which clicked into place easily and charged just fine.

I have a relatively early production A2Z adapter and I've heard they've adjusted their tolerances. But this is the only problem I've ever had with the lock so far, so, I haven't bothered to reach out to them.

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I have run into one station -- just one -- where no matter what I did I could not get the lock on the A2Z adapter to engage. It's a new-ish V3 station in Lagrangeville, NY with high curbs and large parking lot light towers arranged so that they're basically permanent, unremovable bollards which make parking geometry very difficult to charge a non-Tesla. I doubt it gets much use from non-Teslas anyway because its street address in PlugShare is on a private road neither Waze nor our in-car nav actually know about. It's actually in the parking lot of a supermarket that for some reason has a huge setback from the nearest public street.

This is actually a Magic Dock station but the A2Z adapter is just a little longer than the Magic Dock adapter and I wanted every millimeter I could get in order to avoid constant strain on the charge cable. But try as I might I couldn't get the A2Z adapter's lock to engage. Eventually I gave up, parked at a huge angle that made 3 spaces hard to use (sigh), and used the Magic Dock adapter which clicked into place easily and charged just fine.

I have a relatively early production A2Z adapter and I've heard they've adjusted their tolerances. But this is the only problem I've ever had with the lock so far, so, I haven't bothered to reach out to them.
Yeah, I have an early one as well. I'll try one more time using the info gleaned from this post and see how it goes.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Still have my Tesla mobile charger (same handle as at a supercharger). When the A2Z Typhoon adapter arrived I used my Tesla handle to practice with it a few times. It was a stiff fit, but got better after some use.

When I had a chance to use it at a Supercharger I knew what to expect and it worked great.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all, I'm going to try again at a different lacation. BTW, the 5 closest are all just about 20 miles away, hmmm

Screenshot_20240630-083909.jpg
STOP! All Tesla Superchargers ARE NOT COMPATIBLE!!!!! Based on your picture, you went to a non-compatible location.

Pic below is Worcester showing all Superchargers. I crossed off some that are not compatible. NOTE THE DIFFERENT SYMBOLS!!! You have to UNCHECK Superchargers and pick the other options, OR use the app and put in your vehicle first.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter worcester.PNG

Sponsored
OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
STOP! All Tesla Superchargers ARE NOT COMPATIBLE!!!!! Based on your picture, you went to a non-compatible location.

Pic below is Worcester showing all Superchargers. I crossed off some that are not compatible. NOTE THE DIFFERENT SYMBOLS!!! You have to UNCHECK Superchargers and pick the other options, OR use the app and put in your vehicle first.

worcester.PNG
The screen shot is from the Tesla app and the app is setup for a Lighting so is Elon lying?? :)

Also, I was trying to use the Tesla charger in Sheffield, MA which showed as being compatable as well

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The screen shot is from the Tesla app and the app is setup for a Lighting so is Elon lying?? :)

Also, I was trying to use the Tesla charger in Sheffield, MA which showed as being compatable as well
In the app, they don't have different symbols. The website does. So, as long as you put in your vehicle, you're fine.

Both the North Canaan and Great Barrington sites are compatible. There is nothing in Sheffield, so I suspect you meant one of these.

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
In the app, they don't have different symbols. The website does. So, as long as you put in your vehicle, you're fine.

Both the North Canaan and Great Barrington sites are compatible. There is nothing in Sheffield, so I suspect you meant one of these.
You're right, it was Great Barrington, we stayed in Sheffield and I drove to GB and the Tesla app showed just those 2 in the area

Last edited:

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Thanks all, I'm going to try again at a different lacation. BTW, the 5 closest are all just about 20 miles away, hmmm

Screenshot_20240630-083909.jpg
Try Sturbridge. I was successful there with the A2Z adapter just yesterday.
Sponsored