Sponsored

First Two Months Of Ownership Have Been A Nightmare

lcsmall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I'm looking for some advice. I've owned probably 10 Ford vehicles and this has easily been the worst experience.

I bought from a dealership 4 hours away because they had a new 2023 still on their lot with the trim and package I wanted (XLT with 312A). I traded in my 2023 Tesla Modal Y so I'm familiar with the quirks that come with owning an EV.

Buying process is fine until trying to set up FordPass app. For some reason I can't connect my vehicle. Salesperson tries to call support, but they are closed at 7pm on Saturday. No big deal, the salesperson lets me borrow his login so I can locate EA chargers and get home 4 hours away,

Try setting up FordPass app next day and no luck. Spend several hours with support on phone. Tried everything from resetting modem, uninstalling app, deleting and re-adding vehicle, but nothing works. Selling dealership sets me up with appointment at my local dealership (2 weeks out) so they can diagnose problem and fix it. I was told they should be able to plug the truck into their computer and diagnose and fix the problem. Two days later I go to pick it up and still not working. Dealership tells me there is nothing else they can do.

So 6 weeks after buying truck I'm heading back to the dealership 4 hours away where they assure me they will fix the issue that weekend. Drop the vehicle off early on a Friday figuring I'll pick it up late the following day and head home. The TCU is diagnosed as bad, but the dealership can't get in touch with Ford to authorize replacement under warranty. I was told the part was in stock and as soon as authorization is given, the part will be replaced. I'm not sure why my local dealership couldn't tell me that, but I'm guessing it's because I didn't buy the vehicle from them.

I'm given a loaner vehicle and make the 4 hour drive back home without the truck. That was last Sunday. I figured I would make the trip back up this weekend and finally have a fully working Lightning. Three days go by and still no authorization from Ford. Finally on Thursday the dealership gets the okay to replace part. Well, the part I was told was in stock isn't really in stock and has to be ordered. Here it is a full week after I left truck and it's still sitting at the dealership waiting to be fixed.

In the meantime, I've spent money on a hotel, gas for the loaner vehicle, charging costs to get back to dealership, and I missed out on the NACS adapter deadline since I can't access my FordPass. At this point I'm not even sure I want the truck anymore. I can't just take a day off work to make the 8 hour round trip whenever it may be ready. I'm on-call this upcoming weekend and don't know when I might be able to make the trip. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Any advice? I believe there is someone on this forum who is part of Ford Customer Service? I'm beyond frustrated at this point. If youve gotten this far, thanks for reading. @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Unfortunately, that experience is reality with EVs, and not just Ford.

Ford has tightened up replacement of modules like the TCU, requiring an approval. And it takes days.

Had my Lightning in. APIM wouldn't update. That was a Thursday. Took it home, back Tuesday (still not approved). Tech got it to update Thursday.

Ford saved the cost of a new APIM. Me, the customer, was without my truck for 4 days...

Last edited:

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Ugh. Other people on this forum have had some issues, but yours sounds particularly frustrating.

If you hold out until it is all fixed, I do honestly believe that you'll love the truck. The question is, can you hold out that long... :-\

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
If your local dealer told you that they can't do anything more, wouldn't this then fall under a lemon? I don't understand that just because they didn't sell you the truck, they wouldn't work with Ford and take responsibility for it.

OP
OP

lcsmall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
If your local dealer told you that they can't do anything more, wouldn't this then fall under a lemon? I don't understand that just because they didn't sell you the truck, they wouldn't work with Ford and take responsibility for it.
I guess the right word is they weren't "willing" to do anymore. It seems all they did was reset the modem and call it a day. Seeing as how the selling dealership was eventually able to diagnose the bad TCU just by hooking it up to their computer, it sure doesn't seem like the local dealership was willing to do much of any troubleshooting. Very frustrating.

Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Do you have any other dealers?

I have a few around, none of which are the dealer I purchased from. I didn't go to a few because they didn't impress me when looking at trucks but the one I did go to was great.

Shout out to Bea Townsend as my warranty work was top notch even though I wasn't buying anything and didn't purchase the truck from them. They pre-ordered the lvb bms so it would be on hand for my appointment, and called in a Ford guy for a seal/windows noise issue.

B177y

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ptcoffee.com
Vehicles
2024 Lightning Pro ER Max Tow, 2021 Highlander V6, 2013 Suzuki Wee-Strom
Occupation
Coffee Roasting
Get familiar with your state's lemon law and make sure you have an accurate count of days out of service and how many times the truck has had to go in for repair of the same issue. Most states base their remedies on those two metrics. The manufacturers also know those state laws forward and back.
Sponsored