First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Machinist Technician
So, depending on your house set up, $1600 might be a reasonable price, that is because:

You'll need 3AWG wire for the two hot lines and it is somewhere just under $2.00/ft as well as 6AWG ground wire about $1.00/ft (if you dial down from 80A charging you can use a smaller diameter less expensive wire - if they are giving you a free FCSP, then you have the extended range battery, which is unusual for a Pro, so you might want to stick with the 3AWG 80A charging).

Then you need the 100A breaker around $40. Hopefully your house breaker box has the capacity to add the breaker.

They have to mount it to the wall whereever you are going to use it - remember the cord is 25 feet but you need some slack, so they say 17 ft between the FCSP and the truck charge port.

To pass inspection the wires will might have to be in conduit of some kind, at a minimum where visible/accessible per code, and the electricians will have to run the conduit from your breaker box to the location of the FCSP. Conduit for an easy pull of two 3AWG and one 6 AWG would probably be 1" and it runs close to $1.00/ft these days.

To be done right it should be inspected by the local authorities, so there is the cost of a permit application and the inspection as well, sometimes that is bundled into the price the electrician gives you.

In my house, the breaker box is in the basement, and the distance from the basement, through the attic to the garage wall where I'd put a FCSP would be about 100ft, so over $600 just for the wire and conduit. Inspection/permit, maybe $200. Breaker $50.

Then there is the labor involved in the installation in our market. I am in the Northern Virginia/DC area market, so labor is not cheap.

I have a SR battery 2023 Pro and using L2 charging with the Mobile charger at 30A works for me most of the time. I already had a 30A outlet in my garage that I used with my 2012 Nissan Leaf.

Planning for the future and faster charging with a different EV, I bought a FCSP new in the box on eBay for $600, had the warranty transferred to me as well. The SR battery is limited to 48A charging, but the FCSP can be dialed down to that level and put on a 60A breaker in the house panel.

I had no luck with Sunrun either. They have pulled out of solar NVa installations they told me on the phone, and didn't call back about the possibility of a HIS (home integration system) like they promised.
Thanks for all that info! Qmerit has assigned a company to look over the quote estimate I was given and they probably will have to come out in person to really give me an accurate number. I also have the electrician who wired up my house when it was built last year so he's my second number I'm going to be using for reference. He charged me just over 600 to run wire for the hot tub and I felt like that was a little high but I didn't want to be responsible for anything not up to code so I left the responsibility up to him!
Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
If you are going to the expense of installing the FCSP, consider also getting a power monitor at the same time. You will find them priced all over the place but many on here - myself included- have had great luck with the Emporia monitors. It allows you a double-check on what is happening with your lightning charging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
If you are going to the expense of installing the FCSP, consider also getting a power monitor at the same time. You will find them priced all over the place but many on here - myself included- have had great luck with the Emporia monitors. I allows you a double-check on what is happening with your lightning charging.
Does ford have anything like this? Or is it only the ford pass app? I figured there would be some kind of screen or menu on the charger but i havent seen one before other than videos I've watched and I guess looking back I don't remember anything other than logo 🤔

Could you tag the device that you currently use so I have a good reference point to look into? Please and thank you!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
You might want to check out Caredge.com for advice on warrantees.
I just paid an arm and a leg to get a line run from one of my house to the other and then outside to a post for a Charger Pro. The wiring itself was $900 and they were at it 9-6. I dug the trench and set up the post. But I also had a 240V L14-50 plug installed and a whole house disconnect. The whole house disconnect should have been much cheaper - super simple and just adding / moving breakers.
Check with your electric company - they may have rebates or discounted electricity rates for certain chargers. (You get a free Ford charger with a 2023 or earlier model but the dealer has to record it and you have to request it on line. You also have to request the NACS adapter.)

paulhrab

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
So, I really don't need to install the level 2 charger, (def not spending for the home integrated system) my work commute is less than 5 miles round trip. I'm really in perfect situation for electric vehicle for my day to day life unless I wanna run down and hunt in WV or something then I have to figure something out. I guess my thing is how I was thrown for a loop by the dealer, when they boast the charger being free, the capabilites of the integrated system, how easy it is to call and have installed, etc etc. Then I find out all the stuff was wrong, costs money, etc etc. Just a big let down and frustrating. I have no idea about any of the tesla stuff products or solar panels. My house faces east and west (I think that is less desirable when it comes to power generated in solar)
I set up my mobile charger from the 21 Mach e I purchased in 2021 and have been using it on both the Mach e and 2022 Lightning with no problems. I had a 50 amp/220 volt circuit already hooked up for a welder and just had to change the receptacle to make it work. Living in the boonies means I don't have access to electricians so the charger that came with the Lightning is still "on the to-do list". Most of our trips are less than 50 miles and we are both retired, so the EV's are perfect for us. Even had a Hertz Kia Niro (that fit the charger) as a rental while the Mustang was in for repairs after a deer/turkey incident. My son borrowed our car and hit a deer...then I hit a turkey and smashed the windshield taking the car in for repairs.

Jersey Devil

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 XL
Occupation
Truck Driver
I purchased my 2023 ford lightning lariat er on May 9th. I didn't order it or plan for it, just went there, thought, sure I'll test drive it and then ended up buying it. I was told by the sales person that nothing was required by me and that I would be mailed the charger and once it arrived, to call sunrun and they would come out and install at my earliest convenience. Fast forward to today, I just found out that on April 3rd this year, they changed policies and now require the dealers to submit proof of sale and then email the buyer a coupon, for them to go into website and purchase the charger with the coupon. It's been almost a month and I have called more than once, only to be reassured by my dealer all is good and I don't have to do anything.. now, I have it all squared away and sunrun is contacting dealer directly. Well, I asked sunrun can I schedule the install or have someone come out and tell me when it can be done? Turns out, what I thought was a free charger and install, well it's only the charger. So now this really awesome (expensive truck), has another expense I was unaware about until I reached out a few times and told otherwise. It's very frustrating because I only have the level 1 charger and the fast charger adapter they told me was ordered but estimated for October and sounds like is getting pushed back for everyone 🙃 So yeah, went through with quite estimate on qmerit (because sunrun employee told me they don't do the installs anymore lol) and they gave me a generic estimate based on my situation of 1600 without any taxes or permits included. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed and frustrated. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or if you're looking to purchase, keep this on your radar and be aware.
Watch state of charge channel on YouTube he’s great & contact QMerit for install. They set up a local electrician. https://qmerit.com/

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Thanks for all that info! Qmerit has assigned a company to look over the quote estimate I was given and they probably will have to come out in person to really give me an accurate number. I also have the electrician who wired up my house when it was built last year so he's my second number I'm going to be using for reference. He charged me just over 600 to run wire for the hot tub and I felt like that was a little high but I didn't want to be responsible for anything not up to code so I left the responsibility up to him!
Yes it often seems "high" but then they have the experience and expertise, know the codes, etc. (one hopes) and carry the insurance/bonded if anything goes wrong.
The guys who hooked up my hot tub back in 1999 charged me about the same, I had the hot tub sub-panel with breaker, but they connected it to the main panel, provided the flexible conduit to the tub from the house by drilling through the wall of the house, etc. and all up to code.

Yes, the electrician who already knows your house is a good idea, no surprises for him/her.

I used a surveyor's tape measure the other day and if I run flexible conduit through the attic to the garage it would be 75 feet. If it could go across the crawl space about 50 feet - I'd have to somehow drill up through the garage floor though, so the attic seems less trouble even though it means more wire cost.

I checked the IRS web site and my area qualifies for the 30% EV charger tax credit. See: https://www.anl.gov/esia/refueling-infrastructure-tax-credit

That was a nice surprise. Check it out, maybe your area does to, they have an interactive map you can use to figure it out.

Sponsored

larrylsb

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Yup, public charger reliance is more expensive than gas IMO. Home charging is a bit of a hit up front for hopefully ~10 years of cheap electricity bliss.

Check also with your power company, if yours is like mine they offer extreme discounts if you use power off-peak. I pay 8 cents per kwh when I have the truck's schedule set to. We did have to switch "plans" with the company to realize the extreme savings
I’m here in New Mexico and now have an F150 Lariat and a Mach E. The power company has a charge rate of 0.03xxxxx between 10:00 pm and 5:00 am. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and spent a years worth of cost on the road. I tried using the 250kW free that came with EA but it never used that portion. Moral of story: it’s great for daily use and saves money there. I won’t take it on a long trip again though. I have solar and lots of sun here so in the summer I charge during the day. During the winter it’s at night.

CyclopsThere

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
I’m here in New Mexico and now have an F150 Lariat and a Mach E. The power company has a charge rate of 0.03xxxxx between 10:00 pm and 5:00 am. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and spent a years worth of cost on the road. I tried using the 250kW free that came with EA but it never used that portion. Moral of story: it’s great for daily use and saves money there. I won’t take it on a long trip again though. I have solar and lots of sun here so in the summer I charge during the day. During the winter it’s at night.
3 cents?!?!?!? Astounding rate. Ours is .08 between 9pm and 7am I believe

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
:( $0.17 in Md. and they (Potomac Edison / First Energy) don't have a discount for night charging. I guess I will charge at 2pm this coming week, during the heat wave.
They have a $0.02 discount 11pm-6am in an EV program but only certain chargers qualify. Of course Ford chargers are NOT in the program. :(

OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
:( $0.17 in Md. and they (Potomac Edison / First Energy) don't have a discount for night charging. I guess I will charge at 2pm this coming week, during the heat wave.
They have a $0.02 discount 11pm-6am in an EV program but only certain chargers qualify. Of course Ford chargers are NOT in the program. :(
I'm Pasadena, Maryland. Just visited my friend up in PA and drove back last night. It was like 1230 a.m. and I was around 25% charge. I was like, I wonder how the charging locations feature works on the GPS. So I punched it in and for compatible charger for super fast charging, I found one but these were the rates.
*I don't have the ford-tesla level 3 charge adapter yet. (Estimated for October)

I downloaded the evgo+ and noticed there were memberships and stuff. The max % I could see was if you get the most expensive monthly subscription.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford charge station pro coupon required after April 3rd, 2024 Screenshot_20240616_022645_EVgo Charger

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford charge station pro coupon required after April 3rd, 2024 Screenshot_20240616_022742_EVgo Charger
Sponsored