• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro -- only 10KW

mwolff_83843

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lightning
Recently installed FCSP and I am only getting a charge of 10.2 KW. Do I need to adjust something manually to get a faster rate? Thank you.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Recently installed FCSP and I am only getting a charge of 10.2 KW. Do I need to adjust something manually to get a faster rate? Thank you.
Follow these steps:

1) Take truck back to dealership.
2) Trade it in for a 2022 or 2023.
3) Go home and plug in.

The 2024s have a single charger onboard, not a dual charger. Max AC rate is 48amps, which is 11.5kW, or 10.7 or so to the truck. 10.2 implies you're a bit below 240v.

DC fast charging is not affected.

OP
OP

mwolff_83843

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lightning
That is interesting. I'm very surprised they don't let you know that in the ads for the FCSP. Frustrating...

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
For sure. You can buy a really nice 48AMP charger for about $400. Not the $1,400 they want for the FCSP.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Follow these steps:

1) Take truck back to dealership.
2) Trade it in for a 2022 or 2023.
3) Go home and plug in.

The 2024s have a single charger onboard, not a dual charger. Max AC rate is 48amps, which is 11.5kW, or 10.7 or so to the truck. 10.2 implies you're a bit below 240v.

DC fast charging is not affected.
@Ford Motor Company should have considered keeping it in with the Platinum package since it wouldn’t qualify and help differentiate it more from the Lariat trim. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
OP I'm really really sorry for you. I've had this argument now in several places that Ford is doing a really really shit job of informing people of this change on the 2024s.

I hope everyone who is making this mistake posts about it so Ford can see and fix the mistake. There's so much ink and YouTube out there devoted to how ERs can do 80A that it needs to be CLEAR on both the website and window sticker 'Max 48A AC Charging'

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
What’s wrong with 48A charging? I’ve had my 2022 ER set to 48A since purchase. More than enough to top off over night. Only issue I ever had was lugs at breaker loosened up over time and cause arching. Replaced breaker, tightened lugs to spec, all good.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
What’s wrong with 48A charging?
There's nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is misleading sales information and illinformed salesmen leading people to believe they will be getting 80 amp charging.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
That is interesting. I'm very surprised they don't let you know that in the ads for the FCSP. Frustrating...
Another stellar job from the sales team.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
@Ford Motor Company should have considered keeping it in with the Platinum package since it wouldn’t qualify and help differentiate it more from the Lariat trim. 🤷‍♂️
It seems to me that it would make more sense to have it in the Pro series or XLT series since these are more likely to be used in a commercial environment and require faster charging to get through busy days. I have a '23 and occasionally dial up to 48 amps to top up overnight after a weekend trip but I rarely use more than 32 amps on a daily basis. I've only used 80 amps once at a hotel destination charger with a decent EVSE.
In any case, the 2nd onboard charger would be nice as an option on any trim level for those who need it.

Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
Another stellar job from the sales team.
Almost like when you fudge the numbers and make invoice over MSRP and cloud the incentive structure the salespeople are less inclined to know the product thoroughly and sell them aggressively.

I honestly blame Ford more than I blame the salespeople. Communications is PR is marketing is corporate is national. Many salespeople likely don't even know what a Powerboost is over an Ecoboost without looking at the sheet. Ignorant salespeople is nothing new.

To me the problem is the information out there very boldly proclaim 80A as a feature (as it is beefy and industry leading when it was released) and most people are still actively out there talking about the older trucks and trying to figure out if they need/want 80A or less.

I can point to two specific places it needs to be if I were in charge, representing due diligence on top of press releases:

This:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro -- only 10KW 1726579482313-if

Should be this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro -- only 10KW 1726580444408-co

And this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro -- only 10KW 1726580478928-2l

Should be this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro -- only 10KW 1726580600970-dm

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It seems to me that it would make more sense to have it in the Pro series or XLT series since these are more likely to be used in a commercial environment and require faster charging to get through busy days. I have a '23 and occasionally dial up to 48 amps to top up overnight after a weekend trip but I rarely use more than 32 amps on a daily basis. I've only used 80 amps once at a hotel destination charger with a decent EVSE.
In any case, the 2nd onboard charger would be nice as an option on any trim level for those who need it.
I would generally agree but for most businesses the around 10 hours at 48 amps works as the truck is out of service for a shift. For the companies that are running three shifts, even 20kW is not enough and they would likely need to DCFC unless they are having it sit out.

Sadly there is little use case for the need in general over fast charging, but yes the pro should have an option for fleet orders.

Now if they would have given us two charging ports so I can plug in to two 6kW public stations 🧐🤑

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Sadly there is little use case for the need in general over fast charging, but yes the pro should have an option for fleet orders.
The Pro does have the option for dual on-board chargers for fleet orders.

I have had a depleted battery when I got home at midnight and have had to leave again at 6am. That's when the FCSP has helped me. Previous to that I charged my SR Pro with 40a, and rarely had an issue.

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
MWOLFF,

I feel your pain. I just learned (from the forum guys) what you’re now learning. My thread was called “Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger."

I initially thought Grizzl-E was the problem, but the problem lies with Ford. They put out the info about the reduced charging, but there are still a lot of pointers that make it seem like 80A charging is still the norm for ER batteries.

CAVUBob

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
What’s wrong with 48A charging? I’ve had my 2022 ER set to 48A since purchase. More than enough to top off over night. Only issue I ever had was lugs at breaker loosened up over time and cause arching. Replaced breaker, tightened lugs to spec, all good.
EdRudy,

48A is adequate, but that’s not the issue. Ford’s sleight of hand would’ve been good to know (without having to go digging for the info) before we spend money for charging capabilities we can’t take advantage.

CAVUBob
Sponsored