• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford - Is a Lightning NACS Plug Addition possible?

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist
With a symmetric design feature, the F-150 Lightning has a passenger side cosmetic charge port door. Could Ford add a second charge port that would be compatible with the Tesla NACS Supercharger cable?
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford - Is a Lightning NACS Plug Addition possible? 22_FRD_F150Lightning_Plat_ICBS_Length_57280.tif

It's main competitor, the Chevy Silverado EV was able to locate it's charge-port on the driver-side rear, similar to Tesla vehicles charge-port location.

The need to take up two charging stations will become more of an issue as more EVs switch to the NACS charge-port and the Superchargers see a corresponding increase in activity.

Hopefully Ford could do this with a modification to existing F-150 Lightnings and incorporate it into new vehicles starting with the 2025 model year.

This would be a show of appreciation for the Lightning's early adopters and a competitive advantage for all Lightning vehicles.
Sponsored

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
Pros:
This would be a great idea as it would resolve the issue of blocking Tesla spots because the charge point front-in design of Ford is not compatible with the back-in design of Tesla.

This would eliminate the adapter debacle currently going on.

Cons:
Ford dropped the Faux Charge Port on the 2024s

Some ingenious moron will decide to try to Cannonball Run charge and plug into both sides at the same time and probably cause a rip in the space-time continuum...or at least destroy their truck.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Better yet I would prefer that Ford creates a retrofit for 2022-2024 Lightnings to replace the CCS charge port with a NACS port for a reasonable fee. That shouldn’t be that difficult.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The port alone won't cut it, additional hardware is needed to support the AC/DC from the same pins. I don't see them being able to do it for a reasonable fee.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
The port alone won't cut it, additional hardware is needed to support the AC/DC from the same pins. I don't see them being able to do it for a reasonable fee.
👍. Got it.

My friend bought a Lyriq last month. He said the salesman told him that I a few months Cadillac would be offering a retrofit for his Lyriq to convert it to NACS. You know what they say about salesman who‘s lips are moving.

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
👍. Got it.

My friend bought a Lyriq last month. He said the salesman told him that I a few months Cadillac would be offering a retrofit for his Lyriq to convert it to NACS. You know what they say about salesman who‘s lips are moving.
Haha. I think that's a creative interpretation. In a few months they will be offering an adapter to use the Lyriq with NACS.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think in 48,000 miles, much of that while towing, that I'll stick with the front driver side location: while it may seem problematic to some, especially when considering Tesla Supercharger layouts, I think I would rather have to get 'close', than have to unhook my camper just to charge... but, on the other hand, I've also had no problems at any Superchargers that I've used, and that has been MANY, MANY locations up and down I75 in Florida and Georgia, in the Orlando area, and up thru central/east Alabama thru Birmingham and up to Huntsville... much of that while towing.

Here's a secret: charge when no one else is there - at night.

OP
OP
EVmeritus

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist
Agreed. It is a major mod requiring additional hardware. But I would like to know the cost, because using the Tesla Supercharger network without hogging two stations would have value for the life of the vehicle.

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Just an idea...an adapter with a cable (maybe 6 feet long) could be an easier solution. A problem could be that it would have to either work with Tesla's thermal management system or have really, really heavy gauge wire. There are probably other issues too, but it can be fun to brainstorm.

After all, a second adapter in the truck will have to have about the same size wires running inside the truck. Wires outside aren't necessarily that different.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
It could be but would Ford make any money off of it? They have no interest in making our lives easier or saving the planet, in fact any expense that can’t be justified to the upper management shareholders is arguably a breach of their fiduciary duty. When our species goes extinct in a couple of generations those two words will be our epitaph.

Technically it really would not be hard, you would just need a pair of contactors to disable the inactive port so that it is not energized. Retrofitting an existing truck would be the hard part, it can be surprisingly difficult to get a cable from one side of a vehicle to another. Any of the other concerns are easily managed, after all they could just glue the mythical NACS adapter to the CCS port.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Early in the NACS revelation, several OG members discussed the pro/con of this suggestion, IMHO it's NOT going to happen, move along, use your adapter and when possible park in a way that minimizes disruption, understanding it's not going to always be possible, but consideration for the tesla crowd is appreciated when we make the effort.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
My Porsche Taycan had charge ports on both sides of the car, but only one side supported DC fast charging. Porsche had an interlock system that allowed only one charge door to be open at a time.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
are the '25's expected to switch to NACS port?
That was the plan, we'll know as soon as they start promoting the ordering & production plans for MY25
Sponsored