Ford Pro Charge Rates… Really.

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.0L Stroke
So I’ve read on Ford’s site that with the Pro Charger, on an 80amp circuit, it can charge a Lightning with an extended range battery at 30 miles per hour. But then, today, another ford site, I read 20. What is it?
My Ford Connected Charger with my 2022 standard range would charge as high as 32 miles in about an hour after 10pm when I’d watch the app. High 20’s wasn’t an issue.
My son and I are thinking of snagging two Flash trucks, and I have a 100 amp service in my barn. I’m trying to figure out how to effectively charge both trucks sharing a charger. If the Pro does actually 30 miles in an hour, it wouldn’t be an issue.
What are real charging rates y’all are seeing with the Pro? The Grizzl-E double seems like it has plenty of issues, and doles out sips of kW’s when charging two vehicles.
Sponsored

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
Math for this:
220V * 80A = 17,600 watts

some efficiency lost in the conversion and mine says it is charging at 17.1 KW so let’s go with that.

if you get 2 mile per KW (that’s close and makes the math easy), it is 17.1 * 2 = 34.2 miles per hour.

if your charging a MME, it is limited by the car to about 10KW (I have one of these too). MME gets about 3 miles per KW so math is: 10.0*3 = 30 miles per hour.

So 30 miles per hour is a nice round figure that is easy to remember.

of course you can dial down the KW on the charger and of course you will get proportionally less - depending upon what you dial it down to.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So I’ve read on Ford’s site that with the Pro Charger, on an 80amp circuit, it can charge a Lightning with an extended range battery at 30 miles per hour. But then, today, another ford site, I read 20. What is it?
My Ford Connected Charger with my 2022 standard range would charge as high as 32 miles in about an hour after 10pm when I’d watch the app. High 20’s wasn’t an issue.
My son and I are thinking of snagging two Flash trucks, and I have a 100 amp service in my barn. I’m trying to figure out how to effectively charge both trucks sharing a charger. If the Pro does actually 30 miles in an hour, it wouldn’t be an issue.
What are real charging rates y’all are seeing with the Pro? The Grizzl-E double seems like it has plenty of issues, and doles out sips of kW’s when charging two vehicles.
For our 2 vehicles, We ended up splitting the 100A circuit I had originally put in to 2 separate EVSEs with a sub-panel. The Ford Charge Station Pro I have set to 48A and we have a Grizzl-e set to 32A. Two slower chargers is far more convenient than 1 fast one that I need to switch back and forth.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
they don't add miles they add energy. you can convert that energy to an estimated number of miles but its useless to have set estimated as mine may much better or worse than yours depending on our driving style

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Describing charge rate in “miles per hour” is an obfuscation.

You charge in KW. Knowing the KwH size of the battery enables you figure out how long it takes to get from x% to y% of charge. For example, if you charge the 131 KwH ER battery at net 13 KW, you charge at 10% per hour. City driving in the summer, you can go almost 40 miles on 10%. Highway in the winter, you might only go 12-15 miles on 10%.

ETA: Unless you can get a fleet model, 2024s have a max charge rate of 11.5 KW (gross input).
Sponsored